Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 08-17-2004, 10:09 PM
Leroy

Training video and material

My son's are asking questions that most people on here could answer, I can't so easily, can anyone recommend a training video that they can watch that can provide the basics, Skiing for Dummies or Skiing 101. I see their progress in 4 steps:
1. getting up on 2, then 1, pushing on their own and getting comfortable on one. Mostly there.
2. Learning on their own, friends, videos
3. Training.
4. Ski school.
I think the right training will help them go where I haven't even though of. They also went through all the snow ski schools at 3 - 4 year olds so sliding along at 30-35MPH seems natural to them.

Comments on training program? How should kids be trained?
Old 08-17-2004, 10:21 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
As a general statement ...

Get them up and comfortable on two. When they can cross the wake on both sides comfortably, it's time for slalom. Once they're up on slalom and comfortable crossing the wakes and can get up on one ski deep water starts nearly every time without fail, if you have access to one, I'd say get them to a good ski school. Learning on their own, friends, videos, etc. will lead to the kind of bad habits I've spent 15 years learning, and am now trying desparately to unlearn. Just my $.02.

Most importantly though, make sure it's fun for them.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:48 AM
Leroy

Thanks Doug, here in central Indiana the school options are really limited. There is one guy teaching on a local lake here. Another lake has mostly wakeboarders. Generally I agree take lessons to begin with as it helps so much to get started right. I can't keep up with them on snow skis now. If someone has done jr development or training would like to hear about it, especially in the mid-west!
Old 08-18-2004, 10:38 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Man, I wish you'd asked that question 6 months ago. My cousin is a phenominal skier and used to teach a local ski school here when he was younger. He just moved back to Texas from Central Indiana. He didn't ski much while he was up there. Said something about $25 launch fees on all of his local lakes.

I definitely think that getting up and comfortable on one before going to ski school is preferable to learning to ski at ski school. There's less pressure on the kiddos that way. Once they're comfortable, nailing the form down early is key. They've got lots of beginning to intermediate slalom videos on the various websites that would surely help with form, etc. Just remember, time spent on the dock practicing position is valuable before hitting the water.

And don't forget the FUN.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:58 AM
TT Regular

Boat: PS190
Jr.Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy
Thanks Doug, here in central Indiana the school options are really limited. There is one guy teaching on a local lake here. Another lake has mostly wakeboarders. Generally I agree take lessons to begin with as it helps so much to get started right. I can't keep up with them on snow skis now. If someone has done jr development or training would like to hear about it, especially in the mid-west!
Numerous options in indiana.
Have you went to a NSL event? INT event?
Have you joined the IWSA?
http://indianawaterski.org/schedule/jundevel.htm
I know it is too late for the clinic year, but maybe for next year.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:03 AM
Leroy

I saw that on Google search, but I don't have skiing background so looking for professional help! I saw couple of events still coming up in Indiana, may be worth going to see them and good suggestion to look at clinic for next year, Thanks!