Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2009, 02:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 19.5 ft inboard ski boat
Before I buy....

I am currently in the market to purchase a 87-97 PS 190 (or a sportstar 19), and I have been doing a lot of research on boats; I'm looking to buy a little bit after the new year. Growing up my entire family owned nautiques, and I have been looking into purchasing a mastercraft; needless to say my Dad does not approve.

Anyways I would like to know anything that can be problematic on the boats, basically what are minor details that can go bad easily that I will need to look at?

Example with the nautiques: the nautiques have wooden stringers that rot.
Solution: purchase a mastercraft.

What are problem areas for the PS 190s?
Are there any areas that the seals (around the rudder, drive shaft) on the hull will leak?
And with these minor problems, which ones are the easy fixes?

Any help is much appreciated!

WATERSKI!

Old 11-18-2009, 03:21 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Nothing in particular on these boats. Just do your standard mechanical checks. I have a friend with a very nice '96 190 for sale. Sent you a PM.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 11-18-2009, 03:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
I currently own a 1988 190 with 650+ hours on it. I am the third owner, and knock wood the only things that I have done to the boat have been to fix minor dings from the previous owners.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:24 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, fuel injected 302
Make sure it has no LED's on it.

'91 prostar 190
Old 11-18-2009, 05:30 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Cub View Post

Example with the nautiques: the nautiques have wooden stringers that rot.
Solution: purchase a mastercraft.
1992 and earlier had wooden stringers in the Nautiques. MC had no wooden stringers from mid-1983 on. I believe MC still had some wood in the combing pads and other areas (possibly seat bases) in the mid to late 80's. ICBW. Most of the wood was gone by the early 90's. I don't think my 93 had any wood in it that I found.

Since you mentioned the Sportstar 19/19 Skier, presumably you are looking at some mid/late 90's boats, too. So I figured that giving you the years each company went composite on the stringers would be helpful. I think CC still had some wood in the floor until 1994 or 1995. From there on, wood free.

Like Brian and others mentioned, there aren't much in the way of standard problems with the boats or years you mentioned.

/but see my post below about the early 90's.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 11-18-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 190, 1996, 285 HP
Obvious difference is that you are looking at 3 different hulls.

No need to worry about rotten stringers.

87-93 is carbed, 94-97 was EFI. Although there may have been some EFI 93s, I'm not 100% sure. I think there may have been a difference in the carb used (4010/4160), but I don't know which is better.

Other than that, as long as they were well taken care of I don't think there are any inherent defects.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:41 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago190 View Post
Obvious difference is that you are looking at 3 different hulls.

No need to worry about rotten stringers.

87-93 is carbed, 94-97 was EFI. Although there may have been some EFI 93s, I'm not 100% sure. I think there may have been a difference in the carb used (4010/4160), but I don't know which is better.

Other than that, as long as they were well taken care of I don't think there are any inherent defects.
The EFI LT-1 was an option in 93. The 4010 "fish bowl" carb came with the 285 hp 351-HO in 92 and 93. I found this carb to be a nightmare and replaced it with the reliable 4160. Others have had better luck with it. CC used the 4010 around this time as well, but ultimately recalled them and swapped them for the 4160.

Like Chicago190 said, 3 different hulls from 87 --97.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
1992 and earlier had wooden stringers in the Nautiques. MC had no wooden stringers from mid-1983 on. I believe MC still had some wood in the combing pads and other areas (possibly seat bases) in the mid to late 80's. ICBW. Most of the wood was gone by the early 90's. I don't think my 93 had any wood in it that I found.

Since you mentioned the Sportstar 19/19 Skier, presumably you are looking at some mid/late 90's boats, too. So I figured that giving you the years each company went composite on the stringers would be helpful. I think CC still had some wood in the floor until 1994 or 1995. From there on, wood free.

Like Brian and others mentioned, there aren't much in the way of standard problems with the boats or years you mentioned.

/but see my post below about the early 90's.

In 93 correct craft went to a composite stringer; there is no way I can afford a correct craft boat. I want a mastercraft because it is more of a "no frills ski boat".

I'd take MC wake any day for slalom, however CC has a much better trick wake.

WATERSKI!

Old 11-19-2009, 09:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
The EFI LT-1 was an option in 93. The 4010 "fish bowl" carb came with the 285 hp 351-HO in 92 and 93. I found this carb to be a nightmare and replaced it with the reliable 4160. Others have had better luck with it. CC used the 4010 around this time as well, but ultimately recalled them and swapped them for the 4160.

Like Chicago190 said, 3 different hulls from 87 --97.
Awesome! Thank you for the carb advice!

I know there are 3 different hulls I am looking at, however I'd prefer the 95-97 hull. I recently got engaged......so I may need to save a little bit more money, and not spend so much on a boat!

WATERSKI!

Old 11-19-2009, 11:18 AM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Cub View Post
In 93 correct craft went to a composite stringer; there is no way I can afford a correct craft boat. I want a mastercraft because it is more of a "no frills ski boat".

I'd take MC wake any day for slalom, however CC has a much better trick wake.
As a former MC owner and a current CC owner who only slaloms, I don't agree with the "no frills" statement, except with regard to the Sportstar, which was the point of that boat. As for the wake, I think it depends on the year, but it's a matter of opinion. My opinion is that, year for year, especially for longer line lengths, I prefer MC up through 96 after which point, my preference is CC.

As for price, I sold my 93 for just a bit more than I paid for my 98 CC.

I'm not trying to push one brand over the other. I loved my 93 MC and have skied behind nearly every Pro Star hull design from 93 to present. I've also skied every SN hull from 91 to present. I think you will be quite happy with any of the MC's you're considering. But I figured it was worth injecting some facts about comparable CC years just for an honest basis of comparison.

Good luck with your boat search. Lots of good info on MC here.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club