Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2007, 11:29 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 06 197 1.26:1 MCX (Gone but not forgotten)
$torage and Winterization Cost

So, I checked on storage and winterization costs ... comparing the old MC dealer in town with the new MC dealer in town

One will winterize my 197 for $155 or so (includes oil change) , with $75 to summerize, and store it for just under $70 a month (indoor in a warehouse) ... the other $275 (winterize/summerize) and an additional $100 to winterize the ballast system ... and $200 a month for storage

for an Xstar they want $425 to winterize/summerize (including the ballast), and still $200 a month to store the boat

I called back to make sure they were not quoting me the seasonal storage rate ... maybe we are just used to cheap storage, what do you guys pay around the country?

I think I need to rent out my 3 car garage that would be a good way to make $3600 bucks this winter

needless to say, I'll stick with the dealer who sold us our MC's ... I used to winterize my older 190, but since I still make a boat payment I want the reassureance that it is not going to crack over the winter

Last edited by PendO; 09-17-2007 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:44 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
im paying 200 for the whole winter...6 months or so indoor just not heated
Old 09-18-2007, 12:02 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
The one time I had my dealer winterize, it was $175, which included oil, transmission, and impeller change. $35 to dewinterize. Local storage (not at a dealer), covered, but not indoors, is $75 per month.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:05 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 04 210 Maristar
Pendo,

I paid $600 for a complete winterization, summerization and storage for 5 months.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:04 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MC X2, RTP-1 5.7L 310 HP 1.5:1, 14.25 x 14.5 XMP OJ Prop, bimini, depth finder, and table, teak platform, White/viper red
Looks like they are trying to pay for their new place. I went in about a month ago and checked it out. Love all the windows and the freeway location.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 1990 351 Ford
You would be far better off to winterize the boat yourself. I winterize my own boat far better than any dealer would do and I know that the job was done right.

As far as storage goes I have found that an independant storage faciltity is usually cheaper than a marina. My lake house is in southern WI and I pay $250.00 for my Prostar for 7 months of storage. The storage building has a concrete floor but no heat.

Prostar Rich
Old 09-18-2007, 11:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
I recognize that every dealer is their own entity and can charge what they want. I would however think that they would at least be in the same ballpark on service prices.

Last year to winterize, change the oil, change the transmission fluid was a grand total of $457.53.

What I don't get is why they don't have a package deal like you do for your car. Wouldn't it make sense to have a "year end" service that winterizes and changes the oil?

The old dealer used to do the same service for about $300.

So you either have to do it yourself or go to the only game in town (which is over 1hour away from me) and pay whatever they want you to pay.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:15 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostar Rich
You would be far better off to winterize the boat yourself. I winterize my own boat far better than any dealer would do and I know that the job was done right.
I agree. Not only will you save some money and get to know the boat better, but when spring rolls around and you're ready to hit the water, you won't have to wait in line to get your boat dewinterized. That was my main motivation to start doing it myself a few years ago.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:05 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 06 197 1.26:1 MCX (Gone but not forgotten)
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
I agree. Not only will you save some money and get to know the boat better, but when spring rolls around and you're ready to hit the water, you won't have to wait in line to get your boat dewinterized. That was my main motivation to start doing it myself a few years ago.
I'll winterize it myself and make a youtube video, but I need someone to talk me though it so I'm sure I do it right
Old 09-18-2007, 12:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 1990 351 Ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
All good points and consider the cost savings:

Fogging oil $4.50 (I use Marvels Mystery Oil)
Stabil $8.00
5 quarts oil & filter $15.00
1 gal RV antifreeze $3.50

Total cost $31.00 *to winterize a prostar 190*

Add in the cost of a couple of quarts of trans fluid & moth balls if so desired. Don't get me wrong that I don't mind spending the $$ if I have to however I despise throwing $$ away for something that I can do and know that it's done right. You wouldn't believe how many times I have seen boats come back after being serviced and the oil is over filled, the oil filter was tightend beyond belief, impeller wasn't removed for storage etc.

To have the marina charge for summerization is a joke. Do it yourself trust me when I say that you will be far better off.

Prostar Rich