Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-17-2004, 07:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Maristar 240 1989 454 cu. in. 13/13 prop.
Oh my gosh, Points!

Hey All,

Well I finally got around to looking at my distributor a little more carefully and when I opened 'er up, guess what...there's points in thar matey!

I haven't really fooled with engines in any serious manner since the '70's when points were still common (you youngsters won't have the slightest idea) but anyhow, what to do? My motor runs fine, she's a bit hard to start (several revolutions are necessary before catching) but she does start each and every time. I've heard of the miracle cure - aftermarket electronic ignition for $100 or so. Realizing that my beloved points have become obsolete along with so many other things, should I invest in this "new" technology?

Wes
Old 08-17-2004, 07:41 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Triton 176 Mag
Wes, you will find most people on this board will say, CHANGE THEM! But I have them and had to file them this weekend at the lake and I'm thinking of keeping them.

Reason 1-- I can work on them!
Reason 2-- If the electronic stuff goes out, I'm down.And they can!
Reason 3-- My uncle is a great engine man and says keep them.
Reason 4-- I can change or file them in about 30 minutes(on the water)
Reason 5-- They cost less to replace.

I just keep an extra set in the boat w/ the tools I need!
Old 08-17-2004, 08:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC Maristar 225 VRS 1994 350TBI
At the very least replace them now with new points/condenser...
Old 08-17-2004, 08:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Triton 176 Mag
Wes, I also keep an extra condenser and coil. Lakes Rick does make a good point!
Old 08-17-2004, 08:14 PM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
I changed over on my old Nautique and got 5 or 6 trouble free years. Boat was still running fine when I sold it. That coming from someone that actually didnít mind working on them.

I changed them for the more reliable electronic set-up. Back then I ran on more rivers and rarely on lakes. Sometimes 30 min would put you over a dam. Ok maybe thatís a little dramatic as I also know how to use an anchor. But still some of the best money I have spent..

Old 08-17-2004, 09:36 PM
Leroy

Sorry to say, in my mind, that sentimental song is over, I have filed so many sets of points I have that etched in my brain even though I haven't seen a set in 20 years. Change to electronic and enjoy the trouble free days. first banana I've used!!
Old 08-17-2004, 10:21 PM
Knoxes

I'll add this because I always add this: Make sure you don't leave the ignition in the on position unless the motor is running. You'll burn out the electronic unit. Ask me how I know this. (and since nobody has, I'll tell the story anyway).

My wife and son (5 yr old) were out last summer and I got a call at work. "It won't start" she says. We ran thru a number of things to check and then she says it's smoking from that black thing on the front of the motor. "Well honey, everything on the motor is black - where are you? I'll come and get you."

"I'm not sure", she says.

It's a 32K acre lake....
Old 08-17-2004, 11:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 ProStar 205
I thought I would change my points to electronic as well, although the engine ran perfectly, my friends have all changed to the Pertronixs system with great results. I must have got a faulty system, because the engine sounded like it was going to blow up, almost like the module was sending out a double impulse. I did the usual troubleshooting, (correct wiring, retimed the engine, etc), finally went back to the points and it has been running perfectly ever since. I believe there is an old saying 'if it aint broke, don't fix it' , I think I there is some truth to that statement. BTW I have a 1988 ProStar 190 with the 351 Indmar
Old 08-18-2004, 02:54 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
I Changed over to a Pertronix system this summer. The engine performance is great. It's a good idea to take a look at your coil and resistor when you change over. Pertronix supplies some info on their website about testing the system. Perhaps some of the problems that people encounter have more to do with these parts than the new electronic ignition. I'm sold so far, but I do carry the old point system in my toolbox just in case.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:47 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Spend the $90 and do it. You won't regret it. The typewriter worked fine, but I bet you use MS Word now, right? I don't buy that if it ain't broke don't fix it. It's a 30 minute job and a good upgrade for your boat.

Just my humble "youngin" opinion.