Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 11-02-2009, 12:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Battery Storage

I would like to keep the two batteries out of my X-9 on a tender/maintainer while the boat is in storage this off-season.

What is the general wisdom here as to the best way to store batteries over the winter? Charge them occasionally? Use a tender?

If it's use a tender, I see models that vary from $20 to almost $100, with features like "desulfating" and amp ratings up to 2 amps.

This site has quite a few models-
http://www.pacificbattery.com/charger.html

I would like a dual bank model, but if the best model was a reasonable price, I could just buy one for each battery.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Bailey
Old 11-02-2009, 01:21 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
I've always just left my batteries in the boat, connected, and hooked up to a float charger ("maintainer") all winter here in Minnesota.

As to the device itself, simpler is better. Any of the better-known brands, like Schumacher or Battery Tender are fine. Simpler is better. If you keep them continually charged with a float charger, there is no need for any of that "anti-sulfation" gimmickry. Likewise, the power of the device isn't important - if your battery self-discharges faster than a 0.8 amp charger can keep up, the battery is toast anyway.

Hard to beat the good ol' Battery Tender for $46. I also have a number of Schumacher SF-1-12s devices. I've seen them for as low as $18 and they work fine.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:54 PM
MC Devotee

I would leave the batteries in the boat, but there is no easy power for me to use in the storage facility.

For just maintaining a fully charged battery, I didn't think more current would be important, which is why I asked. I have a standard "dumb" battery charger.

Do you use one battery tender for more than one battery? Seems like if one battery became discharged more than the other, you could end up overcharging one.

Last edited by CruisinGA; 11-02-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft, ProStar 209, 2003, MCX
Make sure your "dumb" battery charger can float. A constant charge (even a trickle) is not necessarily a good thing.

I have seen guys with parallel batteries hook up the + to one, and the - on the other battery. This makes sense to me.

Last edited by Hollywood; 11-02-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:35 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Make sure your "dumb" battery charger can float. A constant charge (even a trickle) is not necessarily a good thing.

I have seen guys with parallel batteries hook up the + to one, and the - on the other battery. This makes sense to me.
I mentioned the dumb battery charger only because it eliminates the need for a tender with a higher current rating. I know not to use it to maintain a battery.

If you were just charging a pair (or more) of batteries, you can certainly charge them in parallel, that's how the single alternator in any dual battery vehicle charges more than one battery (unless there is an isolator in use)

I'm afraid that trying to maintain two batteries in parallel is not such a good idea. Not sure though.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:02 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
I would leave the batteries in the boat, but there is no easy power for me to use in the storage facility.

For just maintaining a fully charged battery, I didn't think more current would be important, which is why I asked. I have a standard "dumb" battery charger.

Do you use one battery tender for more than one battery? Seems like if one battery became discharged more than the other, you could end up overcharging one.
I would definitely use a float charger, thereby eliminating the potential for overcharging. I use one charger per battery. I have 6 different batteries I "maintain" over the winter. All are connected to 1.5 amp float chargers. For many years I used the Schumacher maintainer, lately I've been switching over to either the Battery Tender Plus and the Battery Tender Junior.