Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2009, 09:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC, 35th Anniversary Edition, 03 Stars & Stripes
Another across from Pleasure Point Marina

Its nice to see someone is maintaining the Ski club course again. I maintain #2 across from Smith's Landing Ramp. Mr. Schouten owns #3. His grand daughter skies for Auburn. He's 80 and still competes. So does his lovely wife. They are excellent people.
There is a course east of Pleasure Point in a large inlet, turn north/left. At the end of the summer, it only had one or 2 buoys on it. No one seems to keep it up. It belonged to a guy named Robert, who skied with Mr. Schouten for years. There was a church camp that use to have one, but has since taken it out. I think it was just north of Pleasure Point Marina on the west side. It seems as if the camp does mostly wakeboarding now.
I just ordered some more magnetics, and have buoys on my Christmas list. So #2 should be up and running again next year. We'll look for you.. We have the 03 S&S with the Old English Sheepdog. We usually swim by the course throughout the day.
amonette516@comcast.net
Old 11-03-2009, 08:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes
fatthmgr - I would love to get together with some folks and get a course set up. Where you are talking about setting one up at the back a Halawaka creek is where the only course I have ever known on Harding used to be set up about 5 years ago. Several guys I
know tried to help set it up/maintain it. However, in a matter of about 1 year jet skis and other folks had ruined the course. The only problem with the area at the back of Halawaka creek that you are talking about is that it is only about 7 feet deep. This is good for wake disapation (sp), but can present problems if the water is let down in the slightest. I do think that this is the best spot on the lake for a course though. Let me know if you and some folks plan on getting together to try to set something up.

georgea0731 - We will certainly look for you and your sheep dog. I think your course (#2) is the best I have seen as far as how well the course itself is set up, but I still think Course #1 over by the old Ski Club road is still the best as far as location goes because the water is always as calm as the weather allows for. The only thing making wakes back there is typically boats skiing the course. I was speaking with a guy who used to ski Course #1 about 15 years ago and he said that there used to be buoys and a sign or something indicating that all boats needed to slow down when entering the area to keep the wake down for the folks skiing back there. Wish they still had the signage.

It blows my mind how many folks do not have any respect or consideration for those of us trying to ski a course. Also some people think that their large platform boats are made to run a course. While we were taking a break in between sets earlier this year, a 24-25 foot platform boat whose bow pushed the guide buoys out of the way came through with a skiier trying to run the course. Of course the skier fell and the platform boat back over several buoys, fortunately not cutting any of them. Sure all of us are going to cut a buoy from time to time, but you should have better sense than to try to run a course in a boat not meant to pull a skiier. Or what is even worse is the jetskiier who thinks the course is to test out his jet skis maneuverability by running figure eights around the buoys.

Just needed to vent a little. Maybe I am just overeacting a bit, but being raised on the water, you are taught the old school way of thinking regaridng respecting other folks property and being considerate of others. Sorry for the rant.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:04 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Past: 1994 PS 205 --> Now: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by markismm View Post
...It blows my mind how many folks do not have any respect or consideration for those of us trying to ski a course. Also some people think that their large platform boats are made to run a course. While we were taking a break in between sets earlier this year, a 24-25 foot platform boat whose bow pushed the guide buoys out of the way came through with a skiier trying to run the course. Of course the skier fell and the platform boat back over several buoys, fortunately not cutting any of them. Sure all of us are going to cut a buoy from time to time, but you should have better sense than to try to run a course in a boat not meant to pull a skiier. Or what is even worse is the jetskiier who thinks the course is to test out his jet skis maneuverability by running figure eights around the buoys.

Just needed to vent a little. Maybe I am just overeacting a bit, but being raised on the water, you are taught the old school way of thinking regaridng respecting other folks property and being considerate of others. Sorry for the rant.
Your rant is appreciated. This forum has seen its fair share of public lake course maintenance rants. Mentally prepare yourself for the long haul. It will really never get any better. There are those that dont understand the issues that course skiers face (drivers slowing down when they are near the course, producing rollers) and those that simply don't care (backing over buoys, driving over boat guides, etc.). All you can do is smile and wave. If you make enemies, two things can happen: 1) course permit gets revoked and 2) buoys/hardware get cut when you aren't around. There is no real easy way to do this.

"Magna opera Domini exquisita in omnes voluntates ejus" - James Clerk Maxwell, physics pioneer, 1874
Old 04-23-2013, 09:51 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1998 Prostar 205
I see this thread is several years old. Can anyone confirm that these ski courses are still in existence at these locations? I am heading down to lake martin next weekend and I'm looking forward to visiting at least one of these three courses......if they still exist.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:55 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: PS2051994
They are still there.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:08 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
There is usually an event with some slalom pros teaching those that would like to learn, I believe put on by Russell Marine. They had a Pontoon boat on the entrance with a large sign saying IDLE SPEED ONLY! The Ski Club location is called Porter's Branch. I checked it out last year and was impressed at a few kids that I saw skiing the course. Below is the link to the event from last year. I also found the link for the dates for this year as well. It looks like they will have a couple of wakeboard and surf clinics for those interested.

Mark, they are still there for sure. It should be nice too as the water level is near full pool.

http://www.russellmarine.net/Page.as...pionships.aspx

http://www.russelllandsonlakemartin.com/events/

Last edited by CC2MC; 04-25-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:31 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Well if the the weather would get in gear before say June, we'll be up there!!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:35 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Well if the the weather would get in gear before say June, we'll be up there!!
I am with you there. Let me know if and when you come. I always like meeting new people.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC, 35th Anniversary Edition, 03 Stars & Stripes
I heard Wade Cox is coming in June

Bob Schouten, the Clinic organizer, and Doug, North Bridge Marine Manager for Russell are putting it together. They had an in water boat show this past weekend and the local teen expert, Payton, was there too. Bob was taking about re-rising the old slalom course across from Pleasure Point, I believe its in a small west opening and then slightly south. I haven't seen it in a couple of years. I assume it's on the bottom.
Don has a course up past Wind Creek state park too.
I have not been over to see #2 this year since my boat hasn't started yet. Long story, but I'll check it out May 4th and should have it up and running for all. I broke 3 ribs last July hope to be ready.
amonette516@comcast.net
Old 04-29-2013, 05:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes
Yep...pond is at full pool and am looking forward to getting out on the courses. That will be happening in two weeks. Any word on this years slalom clinic/tournament. I love the event and will be skiing in it every year they have it (or should I say coming in last place in it every year). Still enjoy it and each session with the pros give me more insight into my terrible mechanics.