Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 06-09-2005, 10:55 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Principles of Water

I told MarkP I would post this. It's an article from Waterski Mag that is posted on the Trophy Lakes website. I think it's pretty cool the combination of science and athletics.

Waterski, March 1996:

Magic Water, and how it helps break records at Trophy Lakes
By Richard Brunelli

Ever think about water? I mean, really think about those undulating molecules of hydrogen and oxygen that form the perfect platform for water skiing? It seems fairly obvious that water would have a big impact on skiing. But precisely quantifying why some water at places like Trophy Lakes seems to be better than other water is no easy task. Certain laws about water at it pertains to skiing, however, are immutable.

In general, warm water is preferable for top-notch slalom skiing. This is because warmer water allows a skier to decelerate as he or she rounds the buoys. Think of maple syrup. As syrup gets colder, it gets thicker. Water, to a lesser degree, operates under the same principle. When water cools, its molecules contract, keeping a ski riding slightly higher.

"For top-ranked slalom skiers the hardest part is slowing down to make a controlled turn," says Mark Crone, who has headed our elite slalom test team in the past years and has competed at Trophy Lakes. "Having water that will help you do that is a real advantage."
Another factor is depth. Shallow lakes are faster because the water is compressed by the bottom of the lake. Conversely, deeper water aids top slalom skiers, who cut across the wake at 50-60 mph and need to decelerate around buoys.

Minerals and suspended particles also play a role. Skiing in water with a high mineral content -- salt water, for example -- forces the ski to ride higher in the water because the water is more dense. Suspended particles that deflect light and diminish the clarity of water can have a frictional affect on the ski. Clear water, therefore, has slightly less drag on the ski and allows for a faster run.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:09 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209
Excellent post! Now I have a whole new list of reasons I can't ski well.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:54 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Excellent, Brian. You ought to post that on the Nicholl's site as well. Good money says you get responses with various fin settings for different temperature ranges (among other factors).

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '03 197
Waterski magazine, many many years ago published an article that was done as part of a school science project on water "hardness". I can't remember the preferred water PH, but there was a difference.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:40 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1979 stars and stripes
My fiance works for the State. She works with the water quality division. She said that if you knew everything that was in the water you wouldnt even put your boat in it.
#1 supporter of wadka
Old 06-10-2005, 11:48 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I shudder to think what the Mercury content of the water in my favorite lake must be. So I don't think. Ignorance is bliss.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:53 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Tristar 190, 1989 / Maristar 210 2002
Send a message via MSN to LakePirate
We have a unique situation down here with water, it is cheaper for the gov't to pay the EPA's fine than to rebuild the water treatment plants to handle all the waste....Oops we had a spill into so and so creek.
If I ain't dead yet....