Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-23-2009, 09:05 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-45, 2007, 496 8.1 L18
Draining the block? '04 MCX

So here's the deal. I have to tow my '04 x-star MCX up to Denver today since it's the closest MC dealer to me to winterize it. The problem is I'll be getting in late and wont be able to drop it off today, so it'll have to sit over night outside and it is supposed to get down to 38 tonight. I know that's not below freezing, but Colorado weather is crazy and it could easily drop to 25 like that.

I've looked at the bottom of the block and there is a hose coming out that is tied to the top of the engine that I imagine is the drain valve?

I just want to at least protect my block if it somehow does get too cold, for the ballast i could just open them and run some anti-freeze through.

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-23-2009, 09:38 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Block draining is done by removing the brass block drain plug on right side of the engine (as your facing the flame arrestor) and removing the knock sensor on the left side. These two things are located on the block below the spark plugs and above the oil pan. Poke a coat hanger in there as they drain to make sure drainage isn't impaired by rust etc.

Then, find the hose that loops under then engine from one exhaust manifold to the other. You'll see a garden-hose-type fitting in the middle....unscrew that and you will be draining the exhaust manifolds.

Then, go to your raw water pump, loosen the hose clamp on the output hose and remove it so that the upper block can drain.

Don't forget to blow out the heater core (if you have a heater). That aluminum heat exchanger is probably more susceptible to freeze damage than any of the other components.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X2
That hose may well be the oil drain line. I wouldn't be draining that if I were you....

You should have the following, if I am not mistaken (mine is an '04 MCX)

There is a hose that runs from one manifold to the other and is coupled in the middle with a garden hose type fitting. Unscrew it and it should allow the manifolds to drain.

Starboard side of the boat (right side looking forward) on the side of the block should be a plug, unscrew it and water should drain out.

Port side there is a knock sensor, squeeze the black retaining apparatus together and pull it off, then unscrew the knock sensor from the block and water should drain out.

Then lay on top of the engine and get down to where the hoses attach to the raw water pump on the front of the engine and remove the intake hose to allow water to drain from the pump.

You also have your ballast pumps to think about....you can get some RV antifreeze in gallon jugs. There should be a garden hose type fitting that connects to the holding chamber. Get a funnel and pour a gallon in to the hose fitting and fill each ballast with a gallon, press the empty button for each ballast so you get some mixture in all of the lines.

Everyone has different ways and ideas on winterizing....perform at your own risk. My way is not the right way, but it works for me....

good luck!
1993 ProStar 190 Star & Stripes - Sold
Old 10-23-2009, 09:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X2
Big mac beat me to it..., but I think we are all on the same page....Mac, you type too damn fast!!!

lol!
1993 ProStar 190 Star & Stripes - Sold
Old 10-23-2009, 11:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

damn thanks guys, that was very informative!

I'm really not used to performing work like that as a do it your selfer.. If I miss a step is 38 degrees dangerously close to things freezing up or would i be safe?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:17 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-swagger View Post
damn thanks guys, that was very informative!

I'm really not used to performing work like that as a do it your selfer.. If I miss a step is 38 degrees dangerously close to things freezing up or would i be safe?

38 degrees is no problem.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

awesome thanks big mac! i should be able to drain the block and manifolds but I'm going to be getting into Boulder around 11 so i dont know if Ill want to be messing around witm my ballast system in the dark.