Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 10-19-2009, 02:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Sanity Check

Just finished winterizing the boat at home, and before I take to boat to storage at the lake, I wanted to check with the experienced folks here to be sure I did everything necessary to not experience a cracked block come April. Boat is an '02 X-9 with the LTR 330.

I did not use any antifreeze, I did-

1) Remove both block drain and knock sensor, and checked for local blockage with a coat hanger.
2) Disconnected at least the lower end of all coolant hoses on the front of the engine and let drain
3) Disconnected the hose that connects the exhaust manifolds behind the engine and routed each half so they could completely drain.
4) Left everything coolant related undone so that residual water can evaporate.

Changed engine oil, removed raw water impeller, removed belt, blew out or drained ballast hoses.
Fogged through intake with engine running, and then fogged each cylinder and turned engine over.
Added appropriate amount of marine stabil and ran engine long enough to ensure it reached the injectors. (Not sure it's really necessary with a MFI engine, but I feel better)

I have some starbrite vinyl protectant, is it worthwhile to apply before storage, since the interior will not see daylight until spring?

Thanks for the help, guys.

Last edited by CruisinGA; 10-19-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:31 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 Anniversary, LT1
Did you take the plugs out of the rear of the exhaust manifolds or are those the hoses you are referring to? I just have plugs that hold about a quart of water.

Replace the Starbright with 303.

"The truth is treason in the 'empire of lies'" - Ron Paul
Old 10-19-2009, 02:33 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Looks good as far as freeze protection goes. If you have an aftermarket sea strainer, make sure there's no water in there.

For additional winter maintenance, I'd suggest, cleaning the flame arrester, changing the transmission fluid and disconnecting/removing/charging the battery. I don't know if I'd say that either of these tasks is crucial (though the battery thing is a good idea IMO).

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:21 PM
MC Devotee

Capt. Planet- It looks like the hoses could be replaced with plugs. Just a 3/4" NPT fitting at the rear of the manifold. Not sure what the hoses do, they just connect together?

East Tx-
I have a K&N filter, planned on cleaning it come springtime. It looks fairly clean as is. Not a big fan of K&N air filters in my typical off-road automotive applications, but on a boat I don't suppose there is much filtration to be done, and no heated-wire MAF sensors to kill.
I planned on removing the batteries and putting them on a battery maintainer at the lake house for the off season.

I've got a suitable pump for changing the tranny fluid, ran out of time on the day I was doing the work and the fluid looks like it's fresh out of the bottle. Any harm in waiting till the spring or is it similar to engine oil in that it's composition has changed as a result of use and it needs to be removed before sitting?

I'll save the Starbrite for the seats in my Cruiser and buy some 303.

Thanks for the tips,
Bailey

Last edited by CruisinGA; 10-19-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x30 2006 mcx
If you run 4-5 gallons of RV antifreeze through the engine is that not adequate for winterazation?
Old 10-19-2009, 03:42 PM
MC Devotee

My understanding is that it can be, but many prefer to just drain everything and not use any antifreeze.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:43 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg View Post
If you run 4-5 gallons of RV antifreeze through the engine is that not adequate for winterazation?
Maybe. I have never captured what comes out of the engine to see how much is in there. I know when I empty my engine completely, then run 3 gallons through, I get antifreeze coming out the exhaust and I know it isn't mixed with water. I guess that is my piece of mind.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:45 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
Capt. Planet- It looks like the hoses could be replaced with plugs. Just a 3/4" NPT fitting at the rear of the manifold. Not sure what the hoses do, they just connect together?

East Tx-
I have a K&N filter, planned on cleaning it come springtime. It looks fairly clean as is. Not a big fan of K&N air filters in my typical off-road automotive applications, but on a boat I don't suppose there is much filtration to be done, and no heated-wire MAF sensors to kill.
I planned on removing the batteries and putting them on a battery maintainer at the lake house for the off season.

I've got a suitable pump for changing the tranny fluid, ran out of time on the day I was doing the work and the fluid looks like it's fresh out of the bottle. Any harm in waiting till the spring or is it similar to engine oil in that it's composition has changed as a result of use and it needs to be removed before sitting?

I'll save the Starbrite for the seats in my Cruiser and buy some 303.

Thanks for the tips,
Bailey
Sounds like a previous owner put that there to drain the manifolds easier? It makes sense actually as long as the hose doesn't get caught around the drive shaft or anything else.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:15 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, fuel injected 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by meg View Post
The part I don't like about that is how do you know it got into the block? You'd have to either get it hot enough for the t-stat to open up, or take it out.

'91 prostar 190
Old 10-19-2009, 04:15 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain planet View Post
Maybe. I have never captured what comes out of the engine to see how much is in there. I know when I empty my engine completely, then run 3 gallons through, I get antifreeze coming out the exhaust and I know it isn't mixed with water. I guess that is my piece of mind.
So you drain and then run antifreeze through? RV or automotive?