Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-19-2009, 02:13 PM
CruisinGA's Avatar
CruisinGA CruisinGA is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,447
Sanity Check

Just finished winterizing the boat at home, and before I take to boat to storage at the lake, I wanted to check with the experienced folks here to be sure I did everything necessary to not experience a cracked block come April. Boat is an '02 X-9 with the LTR 330.

I did not use any antifreeze, I did-

1) Remove both block drain and knock sensor, and checked for local blockage with a coat hanger.
2) Disconnected at least the lower end of all coolant hoses on the front of the engine and let drain
3) Disconnected the hose that connects the exhaust manifolds behind the engine and routed each half so they could completely drain.
4) Left everything coolant related undone so that residual water can evaporate.

Changed engine oil, removed raw water impeller, removed belt, blew out or drained ballast hoses.
Fogged through intake with engine running, and then fogged each cylinder and turned engine over.
Added appropriate amount of marine stabil and ran engine long enough to ensure it reached the injectors. (Not sure it's really necessary with a MFI engine, but I feel better)


I have some starbrite vinyl protectant, is it worthwhile to apply before storage, since the interior will not see daylight until spring?

Thanks for the help, guys.
__________________
Bailey
'02 X-9
Lake Blue Ridge

Last edited by CruisinGA; 10-19-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-19-2009, 02:31 PM
captain planet's Avatar
captain planet captain planet is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 Anniversary, LT1
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 5,593
Did you take the plugs out of the rear of the exhaust manifolds or are those the hoses you are referring to? I just have plugs that hold about a quart of water.

Replace the Starbright with 303.
__________________
1998 ProStar 190 30th Anniversary, Corvette LT-1, STARS AND STRIPES BABY (with a really bad bimini)!!!!!!** * Footin' anyone?
RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT

"The truth is treason in the 'empire of lies'" - Ron Paul
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-19-2009, 02:33 PM
east tx skier's Avatar
east tx skier east tx skier is offline
MC Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Location: End of my rope.
Posts: 25,260
Looks good as far as freeze protection goes. If you have an aftermarket sea strainer, make sure there's no water in there.

For additional winter maintenance, I'd suggest, cleaning the flame arrester, changing the transmission fluid and disconnecting/removing/charging the battery. I don't know if I'd say that either of these tasks is crucial (though the battery thing is a good idea IMO).
__________________
Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ


Tyler Ski Club


To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-19-2009, 03:21 PM
CruisinGA's Avatar
CruisinGA CruisinGA is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,447
Capt. Planet- It looks like the hoses could be replaced with plugs. Just a 3/4" NPT fitting at the rear of the manifold. Not sure what the hoses do, they just connect together?

East Tx-
I have a K&N filter, planned on cleaning it come springtime. It looks fairly clean as is. Not a big fan of K&N air filters in my typical off-road automotive applications, but on a boat I don't suppose there is much filtration to be done, and no heated-wire MAF sensors to kill.
I planned on removing the batteries and putting them on a battery maintainer at the lake house for the off season.

I've got a suitable pump for changing the tranny fluid, ran out of time on the day I was doing the work and the fluid looks like it's fresh out of the bottle. Any harm in waiting till the spring or is it similar to engine oil in that it's composition has changed as a result of use and it needs to be removed before sitting?

I'll save the Starbrite for the seats in my Cruiser and buy some 303.

Thanks for the tips,
Bailey
__________________
Bailey
'02 X-9
Lake Blue Ridge

Last edited by CruisinGA; 10-19-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-19-2009, 03:27 PM
meg meg is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2009
Boat: mastercraft x30 2006 mcx
Location: southeast
Posts: 161
If you run 4-5 gallons of RV antifreeze through the engine is that not adequate for winterazation?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-19-2009, 03:42 PM
CruisinGA's Avatar
CruisinGA CruisinGA is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,447
My understanding is that it can be, but many prefer to just drain everything and not use any antifreeze.
__________________
Bailey
'02 X-9
Lake Blue Ridge
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-19-2009, 03:43 PM
captain planet's Avatar
captain planet captain planet is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 Anniversary, LT1
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 5,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by meg View Post
If you run 4-5 gallons of RV antifreeze through the engine is that not adequate for winterazation?
Maybe. I have never captured what comes out of the engine to see how much is in there. I know when I empty my engine completely, then run 3 gallons through, I get antifreeze coming out the exhaust and I know it isn't mixed with water. I guess that is my piece of mind.
__________________
1998 ProStar 190 30th Anniversary, Corvette LT-1, STARS AND STRIPES BABY (with a really bad bimini)!!!!!!** * Footin' anyone?
RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT

"The truth is treason in the 'empire of lies'" - Ron Paul
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-19-2009, 03:45 PM
captain planet's Avatar
captain planet captain planet is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 Anniversary, LT1
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 5,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
Capt. Planet- It looks like the hoses could be replaced with plugs. Just a 3/4" NPT fitting at the rear of the manifold. Not sure what the hoses do, they just connect together?

East Tx-
I have a K&N filter, planned on cleaning it come springtime. It looks fairly clean as is. Not a big fan of K&N air filters in my typical off-road automotive applications, but on a boat I don't suppose there is much filtration to be done, and no heated-wire MAF sensors to kill.
I planned on removing the batteries and putting them on a battery maintainer at the lake house for the off season.

I've got a suitable pump for changing the tranny fluid, ran out of time on the day I was doing the work and the fluid looks like it's fresh out of the bottle. Any harm in waiting till the spring or is it similar to engine oil in that it's composition has changed as a result of use and it needs to be removed before sitting?

I'll save the Starbrite for the seats in my Cruiser and buy some 303.

Thanks for the tips,
Bailey
Sounds like a previous owner put that there to drain the manifolds easier? It makes sense actually as long as the hose doesn't get caught around the drive shaft or anything else.
__________________
1998 ProStar 190 30th Anniversary, Corvette LT-1, STARS AND STRIPES BABY (with a really bad bimini)!!!!!!** * Footin' anyone?
RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT

"The truth is treason in the 'empire of lies'" - Ron Paul
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-19-2009, 04:15 PM
flipper's Avatar
flipper flipper is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, fuel injected 302
Location: Under the radar
Posts: 5,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by meg View Post
If you run 4-5 gallons of RV antifreeze through the engine is that not adequate for winterazation?
The part I don't like about that is how do you know it got into the block? You'd have to either get it hot enough for the t-stat to open up, or take it out.
__________________
Lots of power is good, more is better, too much is just right.

'91 prostar 190
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-19-2009, 04:15 PM
CruisinGA's Avatar
CruisinGA CruisinGA is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain planet View Post
Maybe. I have never captured what comes out of the engine to see how much is in there. I know when I empty my engine completely, then run 3 gallons through, I get antifreeze coming out the exhaust and I know it isn't mixed with water. I guess that is my piece of mind.
So you drain and then run antifreeze through? RV or automotive?
__________________
Bailey
'02 X-9
Lake Blue Ridge
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:47 AM.