Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Archimedes's Avatar
Archimedes Archimedes is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X-1, 310RTP
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,274
Help Draining Block on My X-1

Trying to drain the mainfolds/block on my X-1 but the manual blows. I found the manifold hose quick disconnect and the raw water impeller hoses, but can't find any of the drain plugs or the knock sensor. Anyone have any good pics to help.

Also, if anyone can confirm which hose is the transmission cooler, I'd appreciate it.

This stuff was so much easier to get to on my old 190.
__________________
'06 X-1, it's red and white.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Chief's Avatar
Chief Chief is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Boat: 2006 Maristar 200VRS
Location: The Edge
Posts: 1,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
Trying to drain the mainfolds/block on my X-1 but the manual blows. I found the manifold hose quick disconnect and the raw water impeller hoses, but can't find any of the drain plugs or the knock sensor. Anyone have any good pics to help.

Also, if anyone can confirm which hose is the transmission cooler, I'd appreciate it.

This stuff was so much easier to get to on my old 190.
You should be able to see the knock sensors right under the exhaust manifolds right above the oil pan. It will have an electrical connector on it and it's screwed right into the lower block. You might have to contort yourself some but they are there.
__________________
2006 Maristar 200VRS MCX
KGB Ballast and all the works!

Tow Veh: 2010 Toyota Tundra
Bike: 2007 HD Street Glide

Beer:Sam Adams Boston Lager/ Cherry Wheat, Petes

Strawberry Blonde, Petes Wicked Ale

Chief Petty Officer: "Results not excuses"

"You Can't Beat a Tree"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-08-2009, 10:13 PM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
Trying to drain the mainfolds/block on my X-1 but the manual blows. I found the manifold hose quick disconnect and the raw water impeller hoses, but can't find any of the drain plugs or the knock sensor. Anyone have any good pics to help.

Also, if anyone can confirm which hose is the transmission cooler, I'd appreciate it.

This stuff was so much easier to get to on my old 190.
It's an owner's manual, not a shop manual. If you want to know how to work on a motor, maybe getting a shop manual is a good idea.

The oil cooler should look very similar to the one on your old 190.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Archimedes's Avatar
Archimedes Archimedes is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X-1, 310RTP
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,274
I can't see/reach anything in this engine box. Old eyes and old body. My inboard was so easy to work around. This V-drive is a pain.
__________________
'06 X-1, it's red and white.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-09-2009, 01:59 AM
Archimedes's Avatar
Archimedes Archimedes is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X-1, 310RTP
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
It's an owner's manual, not a shop manual. If you want to know how to work on a motor, maybe getting a shop manual is a good idea.
Yup. I just found a manual online for the RTP-1 with everything I need. Seeing the detailed pictures brings it all back to me.
__________________
'06 X-1, it's red and white.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-09-2009, 09:54 AM
kurtis kurtis is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Boat: master craft x-2 2002, 330 hp.
Location: midwest
Posts: 6
what websit did you find the manual with pics?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-09-2009, 10:17 AM
bigmac bigmac is offline
MC Platinum
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Location: Central Minnesota
Posts: 8,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
I can't see/reach anything in this engine box. Old eyes and old body. My inboard was so easy to work around. This V-drive is a pain.
My boat has big storage compartments on either side of the engine compartment. The side panels facing the engine are removable. You have to actually get into the compartment, but once you do, everything's pretty accessible. If I'm just removing the block plugs or other winterizing chores, changing the oil filter, clearing the transmission cooler, etc, access is no problem. If I'm addressing the raw water pump, rudder, or other stuff astern of the engine, I also remove the fixed panel to the rear of the removable (held there by one screw). Some contortions are required, but nothing like the last I/O I owned.
__________________
'04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Thrall's Avatar
Thrall Thrall is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Location: Eagle River, AK!
Posts: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
It's an owner's manual, not a shop manual. If you want to know how to work on a motor, maybe getting a shop manual is a good idea.

The oil cooler should look very similar to the one on your old 190.
I think the owners maunual is the same for most/all models (06 anyway). I read it (after winterizing) and was surprised that it included step by step instructions with pictures for winterizing. Could have followed it even if I never had a boat before. Wouldn't mind a shop manual, nonetheless, but don't think I'll need one.
Other than the old ECM deal (Jim, YOU were my shop manual!), these beauties don't need repairs...just maintenance!
Archimedes, I said in another post to check the owners manual. If it doesn't have a good winterizing description, you got the wrong book.
__________________
'06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Archimedes's Avatar
Archimedes Archimedes is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X-1, 310RTP
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
I think the owners maunual is the same for most/all models (06 anyway). I read it (after winterizing) and was surprised that it included step by step instructions with pictures for winterizing. Could have followed it even if I never had a boat before. Wouldn't mind a shop manual, nonetheless, but don't think I'll need one.
Other than the old ECM deal (Jim, YOU were my shop manual!), these beauties don't need repairs...just maintenance!
Archimedes, I said in another post to check the owners manual. If it doesn't have a good winterizing description, you got the wrong book.
No, it says what to do and I already know what to do. My complaint is that there aren't enough pictures of the plugs/hose locations and the few that are in there aren't much help. Other than the picture of the quick hose disconnect on the manifolds, the other ones are no help on my RTP-1. I'm gonna take big Mac's advice and remove the side panels so I have a better view. I've been trying to get down there with them in.
__________________
'06 X-1, it's red and white.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-09-2009, 01:11 PM
ttu's Avatar
ttu ttu is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
Location: tulsa
Posts: 3,649
sorry i can't help with any pics.

but last year was my 1st year to winterize my 07x2 myself. i also have the 310rpt engine and i did NOT have a knock sensor.

pretty easy process.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:09 PM.