Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2009, 09:27 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdstukey View Post
Thrall,

I had it listed here and in the denver Craigslist. Most of my calls were from the CL add.
I probably had 12 - 15 people call on my boat, 1 person was from colorado (and wanted to trade a 1990 boat and a 2006 dirt bike for my boat) a couple from Canada and the rest were from east and west coast. I ended up getting a little less than what I was asking but still above NADA value to a buyer from WA. Met him and delivered the boat to SLC. I worked hard for this sale with lots detailing, delivery, getting info to everyone and following up with people because I didn't want to sit on the boat all winter. I also found that most buyers expected me to be desperate to sell and looking for deals (not that there is anything wrong with that but when I wasn't a few just moved on)
Good luck with you sale, if you have any other questions just ask

You looking for a nice 96? j/k.

Chad
cd,
Ok, same story here. Had alot of calls. Have sent pictures to atleast 20 people, then no calls back. You're right, most people are looking for someone desparate to unload the boat. (Heck, I was, finally found someone willing to take a big loss on an X2 to sell it!)
Still getting calls here and there, but no takers. I got it listed for $13k, which is what people are asking for boats without the tower, racks, etc. Come down to $12500 and no takers. I'll keep it for less than that. Maybe I shouldn't be so forthright with describing the imperfections with it. Even though it's 98% cherry, I know I'd be pi$$ed if someone told me the boat was perfect and I drove a long ways to find that they didn't disclose every little chip and ding in the boat.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Last edited by Thrall; 10-09-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:28 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by squigs View Post
JohnE - what were the four sacks that you ordered for surfing? ie...how much weight, size, shape, where'd you order from etc. My wife likes trying to surf behind our x14, but we're no where close to being able to drop the rope. The wave is just too small without additional ballast. It's still fun to play on though!

I've loved every minute on my 14. Had some struggles with the KGB, but hopefully my dealer has those fixed up for me for next spring.

I spoke with Mike Siepel a few weeks ago. He suggested 4, 20x20x50 750 lb sacs and 2 tsunami pumps. One in the bow, one port side of motorbox on floor, one behind motorbox on floor, and one on lounge seat. He did say they won't fill 100% since they are a little bigger than some of the space will allow. But they will fill more than a smaller bag that fits but doesn't fill the space. He said the 2 pumps will allow you to fill in under 10 minutes. And of course all passengers on the corner where you are surfing. Cost should be 150/ sac and 100/ pump so total will be $800.

And he warned me about submarining it when turning around to pick up a fallen rider.

I didn't but them yet as the season was over for me. I will buy them over the winter.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:32 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
cd,
Ok, same story here. Had alot of calls. Have sent pictures to atleast 20 people, then no calls back. You're right, most people are looking for someone desparate to unload the boat. (Heck, I was, finally found someone willing to take a big loss on an X2 to sell it!)
Still getting calls here and there, but no takers. I got it listed for $13k, which is what people are asking for boats without the tower, racks, etc. Come down to $12500 and no takers. I'll keep it for less than that. Maybe I shouldn't be so forthright with describing the imperfections with it. Even though it's 98% cherry, I know I'd be pi$$ed if someone told me the boat was perfect and I drove a long ways to find that they didn't disclose every little chip and ding in the boat.

You're doing everthing right IMO. I would want everyone to know any imperfections too. I think I said before that it'll sell in a minute if it was a "steal". It's worth what you are asking. No harm in keeping it if you can't get your price. It's essentially money in the bank because if you list it at a firesale price it'll sell in a second.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:09 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
You're doing everthing right IMO. I would want everyone to know any imperfections too. I think I said before that it'll sell in a minute if it was a "steal". It's worth what you are asking. No harm in keeping it if you can't get your price. It's essentially money in the bank because if you list it at a firesale price it'll sell in a second.
Yeah, I grilled the PO of the X2 6 ways from Sunday about his boat before I bought it, because I could tell that he didn't have the same mentality as most of us about MC's.
(To the point that I made him feel bad about how he kept up his boat. Said several times "If I get another boat I'll never do thisor taht again!")
Plus he was having his buddy deliver it 500mi away and knew I wasn't giving him the $ until I checked it out.
Just gotta think I'm scaring some people away that are imagining the thing's a POS becuase I'm telling them everything that's wrong with it, when they may not even notice or care about the issues I'm divulging. Anyone that looks at it in person (not buyers, just friends or whatever) always says how clean it is, looks like it's new, etc. I dunno.

Sure would make a nice "2nd boat" up at my mom's place on the lake in WI!!

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 10-09-2009, 12:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '94 prostar 190
I'd go with the x-14. It has Plenty of room, better slalom wake, and the wakeboard wake is very good when weighted. Considering the V drive has the same hull, you should be able to obtain an identical wake if the weight is added in the right spots.

Regarding the 190 not selling. This post started with someone who is moving away from a closed bow. That is where the market is heading. I've been watching craigslist periodically for the last couple of years, and there are just a lot of boats for sale right now. People are probably interested in your boat then find something else similar but lower priced, or something the same price but open bow.

If you wait until next year you might have more luck especially if the economy improves. Even then, it may take a while to clear out the supply that has built up. If you want to sell before then, I'd recomend estimating a value based on other Craigslist ads and boats that hit their reserve on and sell on ebay (not many). Look at the Craigslists adds that dissapear in a reasonable period of time, not the ones that have been out there for months. When priced right, the boats move within a few of weeks. IMO, with a closed bow, I think you might be suprised how low you have to go to get it to sell in this environment.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Calibu

What did you buy.... My story mirrors yours... I am coming out of a Malibu Respnse LXI and just sold it.... I am leaning to the X14 DD But I have a number of folks telling me the ski wake behind the Malibu VTX is better then the X14 Doesn't make snese to me...Looking for advice.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft 190 1998 30th Anniversary Edition LT1
My next boat is going to be the X14 DD. I want more room than my 190, like to still ski and foot, but also wakeboard and surf. To me, it seems to be the best all around boat. I have been looking at different models for two years and think this is the best fit for what I like to do.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '10 X-14v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibu View Post
What did you buy.... My story mirrors yours... I am coming out of a Malibu Respnse LXI and just sold it.... I am leaning to the X14 DD But I have a number of folks telling me the ski wake behind the Malibu VTX is better then the X14 Doesn't make snese to me...Looking for advice.
Not sure if this was directed at me but for what its worth we went with the x-14v. We mainly go out with one other couple and between us have three children under four years of age in the boat. My wife really liked the vdrive layouts so that we can keep the kids close. I skied the boat twice before finally coming to terms with switching from DDs to the vdrive. The slalom wake was a little taller and harder at slower speeds but at 34 the differences were not that bad. We also added the adjustment plate so we could try and tweak it a bit if we need to. When the kids are older I may go back to a smaller DD but for now any compromise of ski wake was offset by room, layout and wake size for other activities. I will post more "ride reports" when we get the ice off the lakes, its getting close and its been a long winter with the new boat in the garage. Can't really comment on the 'bu as I have never really been a Malibu guy, all Nautiques and MCs for me. I would just try to ski them as close to back to bak as possible. Hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

Chad

2010 X-14v
previous
2001 MC Prostar 190,
1989 CC Ski Nautique 2001,
1984 CC Ski Nautique,
1979 CC Ski Tique

Last edited by cdstukey; 03-17-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Mastercraft Stars & Stripes
When Momma is Happy, Everybody is Happy!

Nice One!

Last edited by YTW; 03-17-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '10 X-14v
Truer words were never said!

Thanks. Now if we could just get it wet.

2010 X-14v
previous
2001 MC Prostar 190,
1989 CC Ski Nautique 2001,
1984 CC Ski Nautique,
1979 CC Ski Tique

Last edited by cdstukey; 03-17-2010 at 11:15 PM.