Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-07-2009, 10:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '10 X-14v
X-14v am I crazy?

Okay, so it's a familar story, growing family, other uses(wakeboard, surfing, and um maybe even toobing), public water, you know... compromises.
Bit the bullet and sold the beloved 190 this fall. With four adults and two kids regularly in the boat, and another little one expected to be on board next season, it was getting a little cramped.
If I sent my better half into the dealer to pick up a new boat she would most likely come out with a X-15. Which lead me to the X-14v, it's a bigger boat than the 190, she likes the layout and I figure it's the closest hull to the 190 outside of the 190/197. I get that a bigger and heavier boat comes at the cost of a bigger wake, but I am having issues with the whole v-drive thing. I have been driving and skiing DD boats since Dad brought home the first SN in '79, I drove the X-14v and it just didn't seem as crisp as what I am used to. Am I just being too picky?
I still prefer to ski 95% of the time and 65% of the time the boat will be pulling somebody on a ski.
Am I just making a mountain out of a mole hill?
Also, this boat has been out for a couple of years now, why are reports and reviews so hard to come by?

2010 X-14v
previous
2001 MC Prostar 190,
1989 CC Ski Nautique 2001,
1984 CC Ski Nautique,
1979 CC Ski Tique
Old 10-07-2009, 10:51 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
I can't say if you crazy or not and I am sure the X-14V is a great boat, BUT, I am an old school kind of guy who loves Detroit Muscle for cars, and will never buy any boat with the motor in the back, and agree that you are probrably feeling the difference in the ride you get with the engine being in the back. My opinion only. And opinions are like A$$holes, everyone has one.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 10-07-2009, 10:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC, 209, 2002, 310 HP
Why not just the X-14? If you ski most of the time, I would figure this would be a great boat with room for the family. I have not ridden either, but like you I prefer true inboards.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:56 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 MC X-9 350 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by peason View Post
Why not just the X-14? If you ski most of the time, I would figure this would be a great boat with room for the family. I have not ridden either, but like you I prefer true inboards.
My thoughts exactly. I happen to think the X-14 is the best boat out there unless you are 100% hard core ski or 100% hard core board. The X 14 was built for the dad who wants to ski better than the X-9 will but has family needs and friends or family who want to board.

And the original direct drive model has outstanding room and lay out and folks who own one love them. I am sure they will chime in. With a bit more optimistic view of the economy, I would have bought this boat and sold my X-9.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:58 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 197
I came from 20 years of direct drive tournament inboards. Test drove the 214V at fanfare last year. Handles pretty similar to a DD. The engine is pretty far fwd when compared to your typical V-drive. They had to do that to achieve the wake they wanted IIRC. There are pictures floating around of the wake at different speeds, but for slalom it is supposedly pretty darn good.

I think where they have really failed in their marketing is providing info on the surf and wakeboard wakes with ballast in the boat.

I went with the X2 because I have a family of 6 and typically go to the lake for the entire day, vs living on the water and being able to be in and out. Needed a ton of storage, didnt want to hit my head on the tower speakers, etc and wanted a good surf wake.

I can still take the occasional slalom set behind my X2, but if we are going to hit the course, we are going to do it with someone else's DD.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:02 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 04 210 Maristar
So....

Stick the kids in the bow and buy a 197/209?

If you are a skier 95% of the time you will be making a comprimise buying the X14V

Just my opinion...
Old 10-08-2009, 09:06 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Happened to be talking to the folks at Houston MC last week and the lady there said the X14V is the only 3 event sanctioned vdrive out there. Said she preferred the wake compared to the 214 for some reason. (I'm not a course skiier, so didn't pay much attention).
Yes they're much bigger than a 190, but no where near the room of an X15 inside, or even an X2 for that fact.
The 2 and the 15 aren't going to ski nearly as well though.

On another note, how did you sell the 190? I'm in CO too and having no luck selling mine. Get quite a few calls, but noone serious. Anyone calls you about your boat, maybe send them my way. DOn't think I'm out of line on price, but I'm not going to give it away...not that desperate to sell.

Oh, and I'm starting to get over the fact that nothing will be as quick and handle as well as a 190. My X2 is a turd compared to the 190 in both departments, but it sure is nice when the water gets rough!

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 10-08-2009, 09:11 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
I have an X14. I've driven (but haven't ski'd) the 14V. IMO the direct drive version has more room inside. Granted the motorbox in the center is a dealbreaker for some wives. I can see that if you are trying to keep the reins on a few toddlers. Other than that the added space seems to stretch everone out so it's not like sitting on a bus. And the X14 is very close to the 197 for slalom. KnoxX2 boarded behind it last month and said the wake arguably better than his '06 X2 for how he boards.

I also got some advice for surfing it form Mike Siepel at Barefoot International. I'm buying 4 sacs this winter and he told me the wake would be huge. I wasn't looking for huge....just OK would do.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:25 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
Happened to be talking to the folks at Houston MC last week and the lady there said the X14V is the only 3 event sanctioned vdrive out there. Said she preferred the wake compared to the 214 for some reason. (I'm not a course skiier, so didn't pay much attention).
I can't imagine preferring the V over the DD for course skiing. But then again wakes are subjective.....

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:51 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 Anniversary, LT1
If you ski 95% of the time stick with a DD and get the X-14 (sans the V). There is a lot more room in the X-14 than your 190 and you aren't compromising much.

"The truth is treason in the 'empire of lies'" - Ron Paul