Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2008, 04:38 PM
jdrewno

comments on 1993 stars&stripes-buying

considering buying a very clean 1993 stars & stripes with 285HP and 900 hours in very excellent condition.

does anyone know anything about this boat, amount of engine hours, and reasonable price?

anyone have this boat or know someone who does?
Old 01-30-2008, 04:41 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, fuel injected 302
I have a '91, which is pretty much the same. Engine hours depends on the life the motor has had, and price depends on a lot of things

'91 prostar 190
Old 01-30-2008, 04:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
I see you are new, welcome. You will find that is a very well liked boat on this board, especially for slalom. You will also find there is a lot of knowledge / detail on this board. I suggest you post pics of the boat for review (if possible). Also, inquire on maintentance history and how/where the boat was used. From that, you should get a lot of feedback, probably even sime price suggestions if you don't want to post the price on here.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:04 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I love that boat. I'd expect to see it in the $14K range just as a guess assuming it's in good shape. Maybe less due to a bit higher hours.

A couple of things. Does it have the stock carb (dual fuel line). If so, lake test it hard with lots of shut downs, restarts, and idling. My 4010 carb was a nightmare for us, even after a rebuild.

Also, check the brake fluid on the trailer. In 93, they wrapped the brake lines in a rubber sheath and rusting out was very common.

As for things to look for generally, this may help.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 Prostar 205
I bought a '92 PS205, and I think the only difference is that the '93 had FI.

Even if it's in good shape, with that many hours you should not go over $12K, IMO. If it's pristine, maybe *** high as $14K. My bow rider had 400 hours and I got it for $12,200, but that's the exception.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 Prostar 205
Hmmm.. double post.

Last edited by Muttley; 01-30-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:15 PM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
i agree with muttley, i would offer less even. boat is worth about 10-11max. unless you really have to have it.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:46 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X-Star, 05, MCX/// 93 S&S 190 285 HP HO
I have a 93 Stars and Stripes, paid 14k for it with 350hours. It was in very good condition except for stitching coming loose on passenger seat and keel had some scrape damage that needed minor gelcoat repair. Trailer brakes as eastie said neeed attention. I replaced master cylinder and entire wheel brake assymbly just because it wasnt a major investment verses changing brake shoes. I have too had carb issues and replaced 4010 with 4560( I believe) which uses single fuel line feed. Easy job but worth it considering it now has zero issues with hot starts, etc. Awesome boat, I put perfect pass on it and love the slalom wake.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:55 PM
jdrewno

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrish1
I have a 93 Stars and Stripes, paid 14k for it with 350hours. It was in very good condition except for stitching coming loose on passenger seat and keel had some scrape damage that needed minor gelcoat repair. Trailer brakes as eastie said neeed attention. I replaced master cylinder and entire wheel brake assymbly just because it wasnt a major investment verses changing brake shoes. I have too had carb issues and replaced 4010 with 4560( I believe) which uses single fuel line feed. Easy job but worth it considering it now has zero issues with hot starts, etc. Awesome boat, I put perfect pass on it and love the slalom wake.
thanks, good info. what year did you purchase your boat? Is the boat hard to start in the colder weather. i live in Michigan and ski and foot into october whent the morning temps reach 50-60 degrees F. what do you think.

they want 14,000 for a perfect "10" boat. the owner/dealer wants to overhaul the carb and install a new distributor before i take possession. is this what you are referring to?
Old 01-30-2008, 11:16 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
If it's the original carb, try to work a deal for a Holley 4160. The stock carb was a 4010. It wasn't so much cold starts as it was heat sensitive. Once it got warmed up, it would be come hard to start and idled terribly.

Is it blue or red?

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.