Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-04-2009, 08:50 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Used to have 2006 X-45....
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX.X-30 fan View Post
I will beg to differ.
Pretty well any AGM battery can be mounted sideways or even upside down if you had to.

Kinetik and Trojan both make AGM batteries that seem to get a lot of press on these boards. Westmarine makes an AGM battery that also does the same.

I had 3 Optimas in my old boat without ever a problem.

I agree with what has been said above. There has to be a drain somewhere that killed both batteries. That is why I am usually a firm believer in shutting off a perko switch when the boat is not in use. Boats are notorious for having an electrical gremlin that gradually drains the battery.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-30 2004 MCX 350
Two blue tops -Two years - No problems - Put them on charge in the spring after sitting 3 months - Have always held a charge. I do have a perko switch that I position to off when the boat is not in use..
Old 10-04-2009, 09:50 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRedRider View Post
Pretty well any AGM battery can be mounted sideways or even upside down if you had to.

Kinetik and Trojan both make AGM batteries that seem to get a lot of press on these boards. Westmarine makes an AGM battery that also does the same.

I had 3 Optimas in my old boat without ever a problem.

I agree with what has been said above. There has to be a drain somewhere that killed both batteries. That is why I am usually a firm believer in shutting off a perko switch when the boat is not in use. Boats are notorious for having an electrical gremlin that gradually drains the battery.

Yes to turning the switch off. The optima I had as a starter did not have near the wavos the 2 kinetics have.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:31 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX.X-30 fan View Post
Yes to turning the switch off. The optima I had as a starter did not have near the wavos the 2 kinetics have.
If you keep using them Julio wurds, does that mean we are going to have to start pressing the 2 key to understand Spanish?

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:10 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMCNo1 View Post
If you keep using them Julio wurds, does that mean we are going to have to start pressing the 2 key to understand Spanish?

Si senior.........
Old 10-05-2009, 12:32 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X-1, 310RTP
Regarding an electrical drain, first battery, two years no problems, sat for months at a time. Put in an Optima because I wanted a deep cycle, worked fine during the season, no problems, then let it sit for 4 months, battery dead, couldn't be recovered. Nothing was left on. Put in a new Optima, worked fine for first 2.5 months, including sitting idle for about 30 days, then I let it sit for 45 days and it's dead as a door nail again. I double checked and nothing was left on.

Maybe I'll look into a switch. I'm still trying to do a recovery on the Optima, but it's a PITA to try to recover a gel battery. Hopefully by tomorrow night I'll know if this battery is DOA as well.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:28 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Matrix Sorrento Profooter with 225HO E-TEC
I have an Optima and find it hard to charge. I did manage by putting my charger into battery recovery mode. In normal mode it would wind up to 14.4 volts quickly and shut off, without charging much at all.

I hear that putting a healthy battery in parallel with an optima will let the charger hold it at 14.4 volts long enough to recover it. I.e put the 2 batteries in parallel together and charge for a day or more with a high quality charger.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I ran my Blue Tops all summer with no problems. Towards the end of the season the boat would sit for 10 - 12 days at a time without starting but when I used the boat again no issues what so ever.

I started installing battery switches in my last two boats as a way to ensure nothing could be left on to cause a dead battery on the next outing. Every boat I've owned has experienced a dead battery at some point due to some type of drain. Usually it's been the depth sounder left on or the clock in the stereo or some other low voltage accessory that somehow got wired to be on while the key was in the off position.

When I did the wiring clean up on this boat I installed a Blue Seas "add a battery" kit that included a battery switch and a charging relay. I also took the advice in several of this site's posts that recommended having both batteries in the installation the same. When we're done with the boat for the day we always turn the battery switch off. It's worked for us so far. Guess we'll see next year how things turn out.

Last edited by bturner2; 10-05-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:13 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
My blue top didn't last a year. And my stereo is very modest. The BT is total garbage. Back to Delco. Inexpensive and very reliable.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercrart Maristar 210 1990
Walmart. Never had a problem. One in the boat, one for the trolling motor in the canoe, one in each truck and one in the car. If you do have a problem, the warranty is prorated and no trouble to replace.