Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-03-2009, 06:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X-1, 310RTP
Optima Batteries

Well I've had it with Optima Blue Tops after my second one went bad. Left the boat sitting for 45 days, nothing on, drops to 3 and now won't hold a charge. Same problem I had last time. I went with the deep cycle because I only want a one battery set up and I want to run the stereo when we float; the Blue Top was good for that, but I can't keep dropping $200 on a battery. So now I need an alternative.

Do most of you guys use Interstate?
Old 10-03-2009, 06:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
It doesn't matter what battery you put in the boat; if you don't find the electrical draw that's draining the battery in 45 days, you're going to destroy whatever new battery you install.

/frank
Old 10-03-2009, 06:40 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
The optimas do suck though.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:06 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
I wouldn't necessarily say they suck, they're just laughably overpriced for what they are.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:18 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
I wouldn't necessarily say they suck, they're just laughably overpriced for what they are.

Indeed....
Old 10-03-2009, 08:23 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Maristar
No, they suck. I've got one in my weekend car and stays dead. They are POS.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:56 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Interstate is the way to go. WE had two Optima BT's in the 45 when we bought it, they have both been replaced (since July). I think the Optima's are POS also.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Just finished the first season with 2 Blue Tops. Got them at COSTCO in the spring while they were on sale. No problems so far. Time will tell but so far no compliants. What I liked about them was that they were small and spill proof. I also liked the idea that I could get rid of the black battery boxes and go to battery trays.

I keep seeing all the posts about them failing quickly so I'm a bit nervious. My brother in law has had one in his BU for 4 years and no problems. I guess we'll see. If they don't last we'll see how that COSTCO warrenty works.

Here's my before and after pictures.....
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2009, 07:43 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 X-9; LQ9
Just finished the 3rd season with two Optima blue tops in our 2002 X-9. The boat originally had whatever it came from the factory with, and after it died I replaced it with one Optima. After upgrading the audio system and adding a larger amp, I installed another Optima and wired it in parallel to the first one - both came from Costco. I installed a heavy duty Battery Tender charger and when the boat is in storage in the garage for the winter, I plug the charger in every couple weeks and leave it on for a couple days. However, there have been times when it's sat for a couple of months without charging them, and so far they've always charged back up. Even in the summer the boat has sat once or twice for three weeks without being used, and no problems. I guess it depends on your experince, but mine has been good.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:45 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW View Post
Just finished the 3rd season with two Optima blue tops in our 2002 X-9. The boat originally had whatever it came from the factory with, and after it died I replaced it with one Optima. After upgrading the audio system and adding a larger amp, I installed another Optima and wired it in parallel to the first one - both came from Costco. I installed a heavy duty Battery Tender charger and when the boat is in storage in the garage for the winter, I plug the charger in every couple weeks and leave it on for a couple days. However, there have been times when it's sat for a couple of months without charging them, and so far they've always charged back up. Even in the summer the boat has sat once or twice for three weeks without being used, and no problems. I guess it depends on your experince, but mine has been good.
Why don't you just leave the Battery Tender hooked up and running all the time while it's in storage?