Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 07-27-2009, 11:30 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1976 Mastercraft
Trailer bunk attachment

I just recarpeted my 2 - 2X6 bunks (pressure treated DF)and fastened them back down w/ new 5/16 X 1 1/4 SS lag bolts (same as I took out). The lags went thru the underside of the new carpet into the original holes. I snugged them up but didn't overtighten. My buddy took the empty trailer back to the lake to retrieve the boat. During the trip, most of the lags worked their way out. Fortunately he was watching and we didn't loose the bunks. We have a temp fix using carriage bolts - not good for long term!
I'm considering going to new bunks and drill the pilot holes to the proper size for the lags. Also thought it might be better to trim the carpet around the bunk pads so the bunks sit directly on the wood.
Comments, other methods?
Thks
Old 07-27-2009, 11:57 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
I had the same issue. Rather than buying new bunks, I slid my bunks back an inch and redrilled.

You could also install tee nuts and use normal bolts coming from the bottom side to the bunks... but the cost of tee nuts would be comparable to the cost of new bunks.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:13 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1976 Mastercraft
SODAR
Thks, good ideas!
Old 07-27-2009, 12:30 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
MC changed over from lag bolts into the wood bunks to 5/16" X 2 1/4" bolts/carriage bolts and lock nuts/nuts in the '80's.
Remove the carpet, drill 11/32" holes all the way through the bunk boards at the old holes or in new boards, countersink a hole just large enough to accept the bolt and lockwasher on the carpet side of the board for the bolt head to sit below the surface of the bunk to not scrape the gelcoat or wear through the carpet. Place the carriage bolts in the holes with a lock washer and pull them tight into the countersink hole to grip the wood in the countersinked part of the hole when tightened later, install a layer of carpet on the bunk board top and sides and carpet over them again to add a cushion. If you choose not to carpet the surface of the bunk that sets on the steel trailer frame, apply a couple layers of wide electrical tape to the rails to block the chemicals in the treated wood from corroding and rusting the steel where they sit like they corroded the lag bolts since they were probably rusty. Set the bunks on the rails, allowing the bolts to drop into the holes in the trailer frame. Install a lock washer and nyloc nut and tighten down tight.
Shown here on the left in the picture,
Attachment 49811

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 06-17-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 Axis A22
When I re-bunked the 2 small bunks on my trailer, I used the recycled plastic decking material stuff, then countersunk the holes and used bolts with flat washers and lock washers along with 2 nuts. Then recovered and sprayed liquid rollers on the new marine carpet. It works great. Easy on, easy off the trailer, sometimes a little too easy. http://www.boatersland.com/mkt6810.html
Old 08-24-2009, 12:58 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
When I put new bunks on, I used carriage bolts, just like it had originally and sucked the heads down enough to countersink them into the bunk (through the carpet). Worked fine.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 09-10-2009, 09:03 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft Limited 351W slot
concerning the bunks, what size boards do you use? I believe my trailer has doubled up 2x4s on it now. I was thinking just some 2x6's and carpet them over and attach to the traile. When installing these boards do you rip them at an angle for the boat or just liet the cushion of the carpet support the boat? This is on a 1981 19' Skier Thanks Art
Old 09-10-2009, 09:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

My '85 has single pressure treat 2 x 4s the front of which is ripped at an angle tapering backward to accomodate the hull shape change. The trailer is supposed to be an '88. Shepherd rebuilt his trailer, if I remember correctly, and replaced these boards on an '89. I don't think there was a drastic change in overall hull shape between yours and his. Try a search with his name, I think they are shown.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:45 AM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliM1940 View Post
My '85 has single pressure treat 2 x 4s the front of which is ripped at an angle tapering backward to accomodate the hull shape change. The trailer is supposed to be an '88. Shepherd rebuilt his trailer, if I remember correctly, and replaced these boards on an '89. I don't think there was a drastic change in overall hull shape between yours and his. Try a search with his name, I think they are shown.

Here is Shepherd's Restoration Diary, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=12550

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:52 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft, ProStar 209, 2003, MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
When I put new bunks on, I used carriage bolts, just like it had originally and sucked the heads down enough to countersink them into the bunk (through the carpet). Worked fine.
Worked fine with fresh wood, sure. Wait till that wood softens up (it does every time it's wet) and you keep finding scratches on your hull, or worse the next owner does. Carraige bolt heads outside the carpet does not sound like a good idea at all, they should actually be countersunk under the carpet (below the surface of the wood) and not just squeezed tight. You're damaging the wood and shortening the life of the bunk.

Look at Harold's boat, he has done things the right way for 20 years!