Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2009, 02:29 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1996 Prostar 205
Request to measure Leaf Springs on 1996 Prostar 205

This weekend my leaf spring broke. I keep my boat on the trailer at the marine about an hour form my house. WHen I got home I started researching getting new leaf asprings. I expected to be able to seach by the year and model. But apparently I need to know the length of the leaf springs (between the center of the bolts that attach the leaf springs to the trailer), the height of the leaf springs (from the lowest point to the line which woudl connect the two bolts which attach the leaf spring to the trailer) and the number of springs (I am pretty sure mine had 3 when I looked at them).

With these measurements I can buy replacement springs to take out next weekend.

I have a 1996 Prostar 205 with a single axel trailer.

Anyone who has acces to that trialer on that boar that coudl measure theirs and let me know it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot
Old 09-22-2009, 08:08 AM
TT Regular

I just changed the springs on my trailer. Simply, measure the spring and the springer hangers on the other side. You can take the good spring off and have two more springs made as replacements. That's what I did here in Fort Worth, Texas. Think about it, if one spring has broken, how long will it be before the next one breaks? And, change the hardware too. It's not expensive and it will save you a lot of heart-ache in the future. (Hint, take the hardware with you to make sure you get the right diameters and lengths).
Old 09-22-2009, 09:13 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Keith is right, if you're replacing springs it's just a few more bucks to replace bolts, hangers, and bushings. The bolts can't be bought at the hardware store, they're special trailer-only items. You'll have to measure. I used an electric impact wrench to get them out.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:34 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks for the idea on changing th bolts etc too. I will do that. I was planning on doing both springs.

My problem is still though, that the boat stays at the marina over an hour drive from town. So I was hoping to find someone on here with the same boat/trailer (1996 Prostar 205 single axle) in the garage and ask them to do the two measurements for me so I can go by the local trailer shop and take the springs out this weekend
Old 09-22-2009, 12:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 PS 205 5.7L 275 HP TBI
Is it the galvanized trailer like this? Mine is a 97 205.If so let me know
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2009, 12:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Past: 1994 PS 205 --> Now: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkreeger View Post
This weekend my leaf spring broke. I keep my boat on the trailer at the marine about an hour form my house. WHen I got home I started researching getting new leaf asprings. I expected to be able to seach by the year and model. But apparently I need to know the length of the leaf springs (between the center of the bolts that attach the leaf springs to the trailer), the height of the leaf springs (from the lowest point to the line which woudl connect the two bolts which attach the leaf spring to the trailer) and the number of springs (I am pretty sure mine had 3 when I looked at them).

With these measurements I can buy replacement springs to take out next weekend.

I have a 1996 Prostar 205 with a single axel trailer.

Anyone who has acces to that trialer on that boar that coudl measure theirs and let me know it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot
While not specifically addressing your question, some potentially useful information can be found here: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=18473.

"Magna opera Domini exquisita in omnes voluntates ejus" - James Clerk Maxwell, physics pioneer, 1874
Old 09-22-2009, 04:35 PM
TT Newbie

dmminfla, yes that is it exactly.

You will help me tremendously if you if you could send me measurement E and C shown in the figure and also the number of bars in the leaf spring

Thanks a million.

http://thesuspensionking.com/catalog...f8r9j3omm218k6
Old 09-22-2009, 07:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 PS 205 5.7L 275 HP TBI
E = 27.25 inches and C = 3.00 inches. These are without the boat on the trailer. Hope it helps.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2009, 07:25 PM
TT Newbie

That is awesome, dude you rock.

If you are ever in the SF Bay Area and want to go out for a ski ride on the Delta send me an email (my_login_name_here@gmail.com)

Tags
leaf springs, trailer