Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-17-2009, 09:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 mastercraft 351
High idle after full throttle 351w PCM carburated

Boat has high idle after going full throttle. Shutting it of and restarting boat brings idle back to normal. Usually idles at 600 but goes to 12 to 1300 after full throttle.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MASTERCRAFT, MARISTAR 240, 1989, 454 INDMAR
Are you sure that you don't have a sticky throttle linkage. It could be as simple as some lubrication.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:32 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
When my motorcycle did this it was the mechanical advance hanging up, cleaned and relubed and it solved the problem.

You don't mention what year your boat is, so I can't tell for certain if you have mechanical advance or electronic ignition with out. If you have a mechanical advance unit you can go to the FAQ in the general discussion section. There is an article about installing a conversion kit and it shows the weights under the point plate.

If its racing pop the cover check your thottle linkage, and then if not check those weights. Sticky or weak/broken springs and you could have that problem.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:50 AM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post
When my motorcycle did this it was the mechanical advance hanging up, cleaned and relubed and it solved the problem.

You don't mention what year your boat is, so I can't tell for certain if you have mechanical advance or electronic ignition with out. If you have a mechanical advance unit you can go to the FAQ in the general discussion section. There is an article about installing a conversion kit and it shows the weights under the point plate.

If its racing pop the cover check your thottle linkage, and then if not check those weights. Sticky or weak/broken springs and you could have that problem.

Here's the link to the tutorial showing how to remove the stuff and get to the springs and weights during the EI/Breakerless installation, http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/show...1&postcount=25

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:57 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB View Post
Are you sure that you don't have a sticky throttle linkage. It could be as simple as some lubrication.
Carb linkages are designed to be operated without lubrication. When there is a problem with full range of operation not being available, it is usually because the linkage has accumulated some gunk and needs to be cleaned with carb cleaner. Of course that is in a perfect world and sometimes a little WD-40 goes a long way.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 09-18-2009, 01:10 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Of course that is in a perfect world and sometimes a little WD-40 goes a long way.
I find graphite dry lube works pretty well for things like that. No grease/wax to gather gunk back up. And if you have a little tube of it around you'll find 1000 uses.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thank you for the replys. I have an 83mc, but the boat invquestion is a 94 Bimini skier that my good friend owns. He bought this bought brand new after selling his 81 slot, most of his friends including me told him not to buy a off brand for $15000.00 and buy a used mc orbu or tique. Allhe heard from us was " it ain't gonna last". Suprisingly, this boat has been amazing! It's a mc knock off but it handles as good as any boat I've ever been in. It also has an articulating front scag which maybe the reason for the great handling. We ski on a private lake so it doesn't take the beating like it would on public waterways and he takes very good care of it( probably more so because of all of us former naysayers). I'm a MC guy but this Bimini is a great 3 event tournament boat.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:09 PM
MC Maniac

Unfortunately I cannot tell you for sure what a 94 Bimini skier has for its ignition system. Should be quite similar though, often with some of the for lack of a better word 'off' brand boats they lag behind as far as say electronic ignition etc.

So I would guess it has a mechanical advance mechanism.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

It does have electronic ignition. I am going to pass the info. On to him about the magnets and throttle cable.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:25 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by liledgy View Post
It does have electronic ignition. I am going to pass the info. On to him about the magnets and throttle cable.
Uhhhhhhhhhhh, what do you mean by "magnets"????????????

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.