Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 09-14-2009, 11:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercrart Maristar 210 1990
I bought a 07 Tahoe LTZ loaded for substantially less from a dealer. I realize it is not a Denali XL, but I am saying substantially less.

Last edited by cmw; 09-14-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1989 Mastercraft Prostar 190
I would look at changing out the gear in your current truck ?? The Denali's are really nice but you are paying for the name on the side of the truck. I owned one before my current Chev Tahoe Z-71 and I will have to say that I like my current truck more than the Denali, not to mention I DO GET BETTER GAS MILEAGE !!!
Old 09-14-2009, 11:57 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, fuel injected 302
I have a '07 Yukon and love it. I didn't get the bling bling though. The '07 and newer models are a HUGE improvement over the '06 and back. Personally I wouldn't bother with the Denali being that if they are 38k used, you can find a nice non bling model for a lot less. Just my

'91 prostar 190
Old 09-14-2009, 02:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
A little more info....

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=27923

1994 205, LT1
Old 09-14-2009, 05:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X-45
I owned a 07 Yukon XL Denali and absolutely loved it. They are fantastic rigs and are superior to the pre 07 models. I owned a 03 Suburban before the 07 Denali and the Denali was better rig top to bottom. The 6.2L motor and 6 speed tranny are an excellent combo and got far better gas mileage over my previous 5.3L Burb and the Denali had 100 more HP. I easily got 18 MPG cruising the freeway at 75 MPH and 14 mixed around town and freeway and that's with my heavy foot driving. The Denail rides like a dream with the coilover suspension and the brakes are night and day better over the older rigs. We really hated to sell it as it was the ultimate kid hauler.

GMC installs 3.42 gears in the Denails, no option for anything else, so I wasn't expecting a great tow rig but the Denali was an excellent tow rig. It pulled my X-45 better than I expected and that was over some very hilly terrain, both city and freeway. But I was use to towing the 45 with my Duramax also so that it is tough comparison.

BTW - $38K seems a bit high for an 07. Mid 30's would be more realistic or lower and that is coming from my experience here in the NW where used car prices are very high.

I would say do it! They are fantastic rigs and I had absolutely zero problems with mine. I thought the NAV was a bit of a waste but the rear entertainment DVD setup is worth it if you have kids. There is one negative with the Denali's as it recommends premium gas. I didn't see that anywhere and was running 87 and noticed a performance decrease, it was minor but I noticed it. I did find it later buried in the owner's manual that they recommend or require premuim fuel. If I towed with it I ran premuim otherwise mid grade 89 worked fine. Didn't feel a difference between 89 and 92 octane gas.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest-X45 View Post
I owned a 07 Yukon XL Denali and absolutely loved it. They are fantastic rigs and are superior to the pre 07 models. I owned a 03 Suburban before the 07 Denali and the Denali was better rig top to bottom. The 6.2L motor and 6 speed tranny are an excellent combo and got far better gas mileage over my previous 5.3L Burb and the Denali had 100 more HP. I easily got 18 MPG cruising the freeway at 75 MPH and 14 mixed around town and freeway and that's with my heavy foot driving. The Denail rides like a dream with the coilover suspension and the brakes are night and day better over the older rigs. We really hated to sell it as it was the ultimate kid hauler.

GMC installs 3.42 gears in the Denails, no option for anything else, so I wasn't expecting a great tow rig but the Denali was an excellent tow rig. It pulled my X-45 better than I expected and that was over some very hilly terrain, both city and freeway. But I was use to towing the 45 with my Duramax also so that it is tough comparison.

BTW - $38K seems a bit high for an 07. Mid 30's would be more realistic or lower and that is coming from my experience here in the NW where used car prices are very high.

I would say do it! They are fantastic rigs and I had absolutely zero problems with mine. I thought the NAV was a bit of a waste but the rear entertainment DVD setup is worth it if you have kids. There is one negative with the Denali's as it recommends premium gas. I didn't see that anywhere and was running 87 and noticed a performance decrease, it was minor but I noticed it. I did find it later buried in the owner's manual that they recommend or require premuim fuel. If I towed with it I ran premuim otherwise mid grade 89 worked fine. Didn't feel a difference between 89 and 92 octane gas.
This is pretty much the same feedback that my friend express on his 07' Caddy Suburban. He absolutely loves it (and he is a Ford guy)! He also got 18 MPG on highway driving and loved the towing as well. Went from a V10 Excursion to the Caddy. Test drove it pulling his 30' trailer up the pass out of Denver and said it pulled it better than the Excursion!

He pulls with it a lot and have never heard him complain.

It sounds like my 8.1L 3/4 ton suburban but gets WAY better mileage! It may even be quicker than mine as well.

It does sound like $38k is a little high too.

1994 205, LT1
Old 09-14-2009, 11:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2 MCX
fwiw, i have an 06 and absolutely love it. bought it new and have 47K miles, no major issues. tows great, braking is not the greatest with a load, but my boat/trailer isn't all that heavy. autoride suspension works great, comfortable for long road trips with the family, etc. mine is the 6.0, think the new one's are 6.2, but never had an issue pulling my little X-2. all time average is down to 13.2 from this summer. never done the math, but pretty sure i'm somewhere in upper 14's, low 15's around town/highway and about 13 towing.

2003 X-2 MCX
Old 09-15-2009, 03:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 w/ LTR
NJSkier!

Unless you like the "bling" of the Denali, I would recommend the regular Yukon XL with the L76 engine RPO code. It is the 6.0 liter with the active fuel management (drops to 4 cylinder mode when just cruising at hwy speeds with no load). If you like the look of the Denali grill, pretty easy swap as well. You can still get the DVD system, 3.73 gear, and most of the options offered in the Denali package, for quite a bit less. Just my 2 cents. Send me an IM and I'll give you quite a bit of information on that particular 07' Denali!

In regards to a Ford Excursion, definitely one beast of a truck, overkill in my opinion. Good luck fitting it in a standard garage!

Thanks -
MIMC
Old 09-18-2009, 12:59 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X star PWT
If you are buying used, go for the bling. We love our Denali, no problems at all, 47k miles, and used the price difference is very little. If you are used to the Denali- it does ahave slightly more horsepower- you will be thrilled with one.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:37 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Thanks for all the feedback guys! My mind is pretty well set on finding the right Denali, love the ride, power and plush features. Navi and backup camera are sweet, DVD will be great for the kids, 4 captains chairs (heated), Bose stereo, etc. I love the grill and the 20" wheels too, these are some of the reasons the regular Yukon XL is not quite as nice. Plus the used prices of them are not that far apart. Most of the Yukons have the 5.3 liter while the Denali has the 6.2 liter (385 hp)

Now if I can just find one without paint scratches and parking lot scuffs, and soiled carpets from some previous owners kids I'll be a happy man.