Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 09-09-2009, 07:08 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasterCraft, prostar, 1989, 351 ford
no spark coming from the coil

i had the boat running (89 prostar) and one day as i was coming in it died and i got it started a few more times to get me to the dock and i couldnt get it started after that it would turn over but wasnt getting spark i have 11.something at the pos of the coil and i get the same in the center but when i hook up the wire to the dizzy and try and ground it to see if i get a spark i get nothing. i tried useing another center wire that i had still the same thing. any ideas, could my coil be bad? i just bought it not to long ago. if it is bad what would be making it go bad any ideas?
Old 09-09-2009, 11:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 Mastercraft Prostar 190 Powerslot 351 Ford
what color spark are you getting? if its a good blue color, your coil is good. If not, you should probably replace it. Just had it done on our 87, and it only cost like $40.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:57 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
If you can find what coil you have you can check to see what the values for primary winding and secondary winding resistance are and test them with a multimeter. Takes all of oh maybe 3 minutes once you have the numbers on hand. Thats a surefire way to know if the coil is on its way out.

If you lack a multimeter (I know you have atleast a voltmeter) you can often find a local alternator/starter rebuilding shop listed in the phonebook, and many of them are also sort of guru's at testing things like coils.

Otherwise the pull a spark plug insert in plug wire, ground to engine, crank and watch for blue spark is a decent indicator of the spark problem. But the resistance test is much more sure fire.

11V at coil, what's the reading at the battery just curious as to your voltage drop.
Power at coil with key in run practically rules out kill switch and ignition switch.
Cranks fine.
So then I'd be looking coil and coil terminal corrosion atleast if you can't trip it artificially, that bypasses point and condensor.

Last edited by 88 PS190; 09-10-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:27 AM
TT Newbie

i went and bought a new coil and put it in to check still no spark coming from the coil, so i think the coil is good there is another prob. but what that is i'm not sure. i am having some voltage drop its 12 at the batt. so now i think i will omh out all the wires just to make sure i should be getting 0 right? on the purple wire im getting 2-4 but then it will go down to 0
Old 09-10-2009, 11:37 AM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
What's the condition of the kill switch and how are the gauges on the dash reacting?
If the gauges are dead, then check the kill switch, pull the clip off and push it in all the way with your finger and attempt to crank it.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 09-10-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:13 PM
TT Newbie

kill switch is new, but just incase i have bypassed it.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:17 AM
TT Newbie

i am getting power to the coil but its not sending it out to the dizzy. what wire is the control for sending out the spark, i feel like for some reason that what ever tells the coil to send the power out isnt working any idea?