Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 06-06-2005, 06:31 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 210 VRS (X10) w/Indmar 350 (MCX)
Using dish soap to clean hull

The one response I got on the general board suggested a good waxing afterward. Is that all I need to do or is using this soap a bad idea?

====================================
Trailered my 210 yesterday after a total of four days in the water over two weeks. When I went to wash it I had this nasty dark "ring around the boat" that the RV & boat soap the dealership sold me didn't even touch. It was obviously oil based (my dock is near the marina) so my wife suggested Dawn dishwashing liquid. Melted it right off with virtually no effort. Is this kind of soap in any way damaging to the gel coat if used repeatedly? How sensitive is the skin anyway.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:42 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I've always used a mild detergent, like Tide, and warm water. It doesn't take much. For the stubborn stains, I'm told Sno-Bowl toilet cleaner works wonders. Good wax afterwards, of course.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC Maristar 225 VRS 1994 350TBI
dish or laundry detergent will remove wax... A good car wash it recommended....
Old 06-07-2005, 12:50 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I guess I should've added that I just use damp towels unless I'm going to wax it afterwards. Mid-season waxing happens tomorrow night for me.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:22 PM
TT Regular

Thanks. My wax is definitely ready to go. Now all I need is my boat back from the shop. Hopefully not more than a week.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:56 PM
TT Regular

Ok...forget about the dish soap. Tried one of your suggestions (Star Brite Hull Cleaner...can get it at Wal-Mart) on my old Wave Runner. That stuff is AWESOME for getting the lake junk off of fiberglass. Gets it good and clean before waxing. Highly recommended. Thanks!!!
Old 06-15-2005, 05:56 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1988 mastercraft Prostar ford 351 windsor powerslot tranny sky high pylon
Send a message via AIM to brady1022
starbrite

starbrite works great...dishsoap won't hurt at all, and yes the snowbowl is amazing, if you're careful, clorox-cleanup on white hulls is amazing as well...obviously needs waxing after all of these. anyone hvae any comments on using teflon wax? -brady
Old 06-15-2005, 06:10 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Meguiars car wash for me....
Old 06-15-2005, 06:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
All dish soap or the car wash will remove is the initial dirt & dust. The Starbrite will actually remove the funk that grows on the hull when you keep it on the lake. It makes the white hull white again, actually removes the waterline.
I usually follow the Starbrite with a regular wash, rinse & wax.
I've never used the toilet bowl cleaner but would be hesitant because it's designed for porcelain & not fiberglass. I'd expect the bleach to work as well as the Starbrite but have never used it. Just seemed smart to use something actually designed for the marine fiberglass application.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:23 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Tristar 190, 1989 / Maristar 210 2002
Send a message via MSN to LakePirate
sno-bol is

Hydrochloric Acid
Description
Hydrochloric acid (CAS# 7647-01-0), or hydrogen chloride, is either a colorless liquid with a pungent odor, or a colorless to slightly yellow gas which can be shipped as a liquefied compressed gas. It is used in the manufacture of phosphoric acid, chlorine dioxide, ammonium chloride, fertilizers, dyes, and artificial silk and pigments for paints. It is used as a refining ore in the production of tin and tantalum, as a lab reagent, and as a metal treating agent. It is used to remove scale and dust from boilers and heat exchange equipment, to clean membranes in desalination plants, to increase oil well output, to prepare synthetic rubber products by treating isoprene, and to clean and prepare other metals for coatings. It is used in the neutralization of waste streams, the recovery of zinc from galvanized iron scrap, the production of chloride chemicals, the production of vinyl chloride from acetylene and alkyl chlorides from olefins, the manufacture of sodium glutamate and gelatin, the conversion of cornstarch to syrup, sugar refining, electroplating, soap refining, leather tanning, and the photographic, textile, brewing, and rubber industries. It is used as an antiseptic in toilet bowls against animal pathogenic bacteria, and in food processing as a starch modifier.

Now you can make an informed decision.
At least about the sno bol