Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 09-08-2009, 10:21 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 V- Drive Open Bow
Beware Petcock on block - Winterizing Tip

To All,

Just winterized my 205 V opened the petcock and water came out on the one side to drain the block. Something in the back of my head said that I should remove the whole 3/4 inch brass fitting just to be safe, water gushed out of the opening. The petcock was glogged with rusty particles which did not allow the water to come out. I am going to remove the petcock for good and only have a brass fitting which will need to be removed during winterizing to be safe. This could have been a very costly mistake living in wisconsin.

If anyone has any other information / suggestions on winterizing a 205 V or a check list, please let me know.

G
Old 09-08-2009, 11:08 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Welcome. Here's a checklist that should help.

Link

Good call on not trusting the petcocks. Where you can, i.e., not on the knock sensor, replace those petcocks with brass plugs. 1/4" on the block, 3/4" on the mainfolds. Much easier to get at with a socket or box wrench.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 210, 351, bought in '07 with 227 original hours.
Do you know how many threads per inch?

1990 Maristar 210... Sold

In the market though...
Old 09-09-2009, 01:25 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by rholmes View Post
Do you know how many threads per inch?
No. I just picked up brass 1/4" or 3/4" NPT plugs at Napa.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
I never pull my petcocks, but after the water stops flowing I fill my block with rv antifreeze until it flows out, and I always see a good stream out of the petcocks, it will hit the carpet if I don't deflect it.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Pro Star 190 1987 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 87MCProstar
I never open the petcocks, I just flow rv antifreeze through until it comes out exhaust. Should I be doing petcocks too?
Old 09-24-2009, 02:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1993 Prostar 190 Blue Stars and Stripes, Powerslot
87, One theory to reduce amount of AF needed, drain block after warming up, close, then run AF in. Otherwise you need to flush all that water out. I actually fog my engine after warming up, then drain block, and fill AF by removing the hose from the output of the raw water pump, rotating it upwards and pour 2 gallons of pink RV AF in. Mine is kept in an unheated garage but I do NOT live in Minnesota.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:24 AM
dazarov

Best Practice

I am a newbie winterizing my 89 Tristar for the first time. I have spent hours on this site reviewing the checklists, supply lists, oil recommendations, etc. Great stuff - Thanks.

I live in Michigan and my boat will be in sub-zero temps, so I want to ensure I do this right and even after all of my reading I still have a couple of questions:

1) What is considered the best way to circulate the anti-freeze through the engine? My plan was to get the boat warm and then fill a 5 gallon bucket with anti-freeze and run the boat until it is all used up fogging the engine at the end, is that acceptable or is there a better way?

2) What type of Anti-freeze is recommended for my engine?

Thanks for your help with these questions and all of the other great info on this site.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:40 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsh748 View Post
To All,

Just winterized my 205 V opened the petcock and water came out on the one side to drain the block. Something in the back of my head said that I should remove the whole 3/4 inch brass fitting just to be safe, water gushed out of the opening. The petcock was glogged with rusty particles which did not allow the water to come out. I am going to remove the petcock for good and only have a brass fitting which will need to be removed during winterizing to be safe. This could have been a very costly mistake living in wisconsin.

If anyone has any other information / suggestions on winterizing a 205 V or a check list, please let me know.

G
If you have read many of the threads on winterizing, you will have seen me recommend replacing the petcocks with a brass plug. When a motor gets its coolant from raw water, a petcock is the last thing that should be used. GM ships them with it, Indmar leaves it in and so does MC and the rest of the boat manufacturers. I think someone should make the first move to replace them before the boat is sold.

FYI- just living in Wisconsin is a costly mistake.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:54 PM
dazarov

Any Suggestions

Please share your thoughts on my two questions. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazarov View Post
I am a newbie winterizing my 89 Tristar for the first time. I have spent hours on this site reviewing the checklists, supply lists, oil recommendations, etc. Great stuff - Thanks.

I live in Michigan and my boat will be in sub-zero temps, so I want to ensure I do this right and even after all of my reading I still have a couple of questions:

1) What is considered the best way to circulate the anti-freeze through the engine? My plan was to get the boat warm and then fill a 5 gallon bucket with anti-freeze and run the boat until it is all used up fogging the engine at the end, is that acceptable or is there a better way?

2) What type of Anti-freeze is recommended for my engine?

Thanks for your help with these questions and all of the other great info on this site.