Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 05-02-2013, 01:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 x star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
For hard water spots, CLR. Wipes them right off.

http://www.jelmar.com/CLRbasic.htm

is this a safe way to do it the bottom id say about 4 inches under the rub rail has water spots not realy bad ones. id like to remove them before i wax the boat should i give the CLR a try also around the shower on the boat there is some pink residue would it work here as well. ?
Old 05-02-2013, 06:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200
I used toilet bowel cleaner for a long time, but then I discovered FSR, or Fiberglass Stain Remover. The best stuff there is, you won't be disapointed at all.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2013, 09:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Anyone know of a local place is bc canada that may stock this? Will clr hurt my gel coat if I use it in the meantime
Old 05-09-2013, 04:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
Confused

I hope I'm not thread jacking, this just seems to be the place to ask.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...1&d=1368131755
I bought this boat last November and am in the process of cleaning it up before I put it on the lift. Everything cleaned up great except I cannot figure out what these white blotches are under the back half of the hull. the forward part is as it should be, and where the bunks are it seems to have worn off. When I rub my hand across the dull part (blotches) which looks like some kind of coating, it feels like oxidation and a white chalky substance comes off on the hand. What confuses me is that it is UNDER the hull where "the sun don't shine" and it's not over the entire bottom. Almost like some kind of anti fouling coating. But Really?? The shiny part on the picture is like the gel should be ..,smoooooth. Even more confusing, as the pic shows, that same stuff is on the prop shaft. I did lightly sand the shaft and it does come off. I just don't feel comfortable sanding the hull. Do any of you experts know of a cleaner that may take that off? I wonder if some sort of paint thinner or something of that nature might touch that stuff. It's not a big deal, but I think a smooooth hull would perform better,
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2013, 05:37 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Kaboom works awesome with very little elbow grease - wash the boat off after.

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 05-09-2013, 05:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
I wonder if Kaboom is bio-degradable? I would like to do this after it's on the lift. There just ain't no room crawling under the trailer.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:33 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Master Craft Prostar 190 Fuel Injection
Miguires Heavy oxidation remover worked wonders for me. Wipe on wipe off and follow with there marine wax.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

due to budget and having 4 things of toilet bowl cleaner sitting around i tried to give this a shot( also didn't feal like ordering it and waiting).

by the time i could get a cloth to wipe it off all the pink was gone it was ridiculous. it didn't do anything to the chalky residue on the bottom(clr seams to get that though)

my only complaint is now it makes me realize instead of just the lower 1/3 i need to do the whole boat below the rub rail.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X-10 6.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
I hope I'm not thread jacking, this just seems to be the place to ask.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...1&d=1368131755
I bought this boat last November and am in the process of cleaning it up before I put it on the lift. Everything cleaned up great except I cannot figure out what these white blotches are under the back half of the hull. the forward part is as it should be, and where the bunks are it seems to have worn off. When I rub my hand across the dull part (blotches) which looks like some kind of coating, it feels like oxidation and a white chalky substance comes off on the hand. What confuses me is that it is UNDER the hull where "the sun don't shine" and it's not over the entire bottom. Almost like some kind of anti fouling coating. But Really?? The shiny part on the picture is like the gel should be ..,smoooooth. Even more confusing, as the pic shows, that same stuff is on the prop shaft. I did lightly sand the shaft and it does come off. I just don't feel comfortable sanding the hull. Do any of you experts know of a cleaner that may take that off? I wonder if some sort of paint thinner or something of that nature might touch that stuff. It's not a big deal, but I think a smooooth hull would perform better,
When I used to leave my I/O docked in the water, I would get this buildup from time to time (calcium). I don't want to lead you the wrong way but if I remember correctly a little CLR in a spray bottle and wash after worked. It has been 10 years so my memory may be incorrect.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

I tested a small similar patch on my boat and clr took it away