Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 06-30-2010, 07:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 215
We have always had good luck with wiping down the boat with a towell immediately after we pull it out of the water. If there are any stains at the water line they can usually be rubbed off with a sponge while they are still wet. By doing this we do not get water spots and do not have to scub off dryed on dirt.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:31 AM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft, prostar 205, 1993
I use lysol toilet bowl cleaner and peroxide. Mix 1 to 1 in a bucket get a nice soft carwash brush wet boat with water clean rince and wax.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:06 AM
wcapps

We've always used vinager and water, in a 50/50 mix. Is that bad? Seems to me that's what's in all the boat water spot removers anyway...

My buddy also uses boatbling products, hot sauce, etc...
Old 08-15-2010, 01:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Currently Rinker 212 R1 w/ wakeboard package and custom upgrades
Just bought some MaryKate ON/OFF as to remove some hard water stains on the bottom of my Rinker. Has anyone used it to clean a stainless steel prop or the outdrive. Have those same hard water stains on each of them (boat only sits in water Friday-Sunday and wiped down after every use). Wanted your opinions before I put on a "test" spot.

Thanks!

MC Fan
Current - Rinker R1

"Its easier to beg for forgivness than ask for permission"
Old 08-16-2010, 09:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridefst View Post
Ok, so a Mastercraft is not a toilet, but I tried this for the first time and it's so easy it feels like cheating!
Couple of bottles of The Works toilet bowl cleaner in a garden sprayer, and an open hose in the other. Just spray it down, and rinse it off 10 seconds later; perfectly clean!
I already tried purple power, simple green, and a few other things, all with lots of scrubbing and little effect.
Shouldn't really have to do this again, as I won't be leaving it in the water (unlike the previous owner), so it should stay pretty clean after a good wax job.
I made sure to thouroughly rinse down the bunks, trailer, and cement driveway with plenty of water.
I did make the mistake of getting a bit on the rudder, so for now I've got a half pink rudder (looks like a penny after sitting in vinegar). Hopefully it'll oxidise again so it looks better.
This is that I have done the two times I needed to get stains off the hull, too easy. The pink will fade on the rudder in 2-3 outings.

How often people will need to do this will depend on the quality of water your boat is in. If you leave your boat in Lake Tahoe without wax I would imagine it would take a lot longer to get nasty iron stains on your hull (if ever) compared to the junk in the lakes around my neck of the woods.

If I clean my hull and do not put a coat of wax on it I will have stains on the first outing, no question. If I keep some wax on it I can go most of the year with no issue.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:00 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X-Star, 1999, LTR
Used the 50/50 mixture of The Works and Hydrogen Peroxide and took most of my stains off very easily. Went ahead and applied one coat of wax. Want to put another coat on before the next outing. I still have some spots that after 2 treatments and scrubbing, they are still there. Still scratching my head on what to do next.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, ps209, 2001, 330,
so the common ingredient in removing water spots seems to be acid. I use a 50/50 mix vinagar and water after ever session. It doesn't take very much just a fine mist then wipe the boat down. The benefit: Vinegar is cheap.

When I bought the boat the previous owner never cleaned it. I used muriatic acid from the hardware store and car wash brush. the scale was so thick it took three sessions. Muriatic acid is available at any home improvement store.

Last edited by CCAnderson; 05-09-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
The main ingredient in Starbrite hull cleaner is muriatic acid.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft Prostar 190, 2003
I had some buildup in my boat bottom too. Used buffer and Farecla compound. It came off really easily but granted did take a few hours and some elbow grease.
Ouh... and I the before picture shows it after it was washed a few times. Once soaked with toilet detergent etc. I tried all tricks mentioned anywhere... absolutely no impact.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2012, 02:38 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
I will add toilet boo
El cleaner as well for tough tough spot. The Works brand is always on sale works magic with a brush