Old 10-18-2010, 09:51 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 x2
winterizing ballast

hi, do i really need to winterize ballast system or is it a scam? thanks
Old 10-18-2010, 10:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X-9
Wondering same (although I don't think it is a scam). Does anyone have the steps to protect the pumps from freezing? I am taking the bags out of the boat and storing them in the basement - I'm mainly worried about the pumps.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:47 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
With extremely cold weather up here in the north there is always a chance to break something. For the ballast system this would inclde lines, pump bodies, manifolds and fittings in "not so easy" places to get to. For the total cost and effort involved I winterize mine every year and it only takes a few minutes. The steps will differ depending on the system and year of your boat. It's all outlined in your owners manual. If you can't find yours (or were never given one) you can find them on the MasterCraft site. This is all it takes on my boat......

Before starting I make sure the tanks are empty. On my 07 X2 there are couplers in the line with a screw on cap that is the same size as a garden hose. All you have to do is close the valve going to the bottom of the boat, fill a bucket with RV anti freeze, either make a hose with a female garden hose fitting or cut up an old garden hose. With the valve closed attach the hose to the coupler and put the other end in the bucket. Turn on the pump to fill and put a half to one gallon in each tank. This will draw antifreeze through the line and the pump. If the tanks have been emptied this should be all you need to do. If you have everything ready to go the whole procedure should take about 30 - 45 minutes tops. Good insurance for very little effort or cost.

Again please check your owner's manual for any specific instructions for your make or model. My example was for my 07 X2.

Last edited by bturner2; 10-18-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:22 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: none
"winterization"

It is not a scam it is in your best interest to winterize the ballast and engine, if you have a heater that also. Use the Team Talk search feature and search “Winterization” this is a process that has been touched on quite a few times, plenty of information on this site that will guide you through the winterization process. also look in the owners Manuel for a specific instructions per boat.

If you have any questions feel free to give me a call,
Charlotte Ski Boats
Brian 704-525-6006
Old 10-18-2010, 12:30 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
i have a 07 x2 and this is the instruction i use. very simple.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:32 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
sorry forgot to add it.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ballast winterizing.pdf (684.1 KB, 158 views)