Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 08-25-2009, 02:00 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209
Mastercraft Quality

Just wanted to see if any one else here would be disappointed to find this on their boat. Boat is a 2004 PS209. (310 hours ) Only time out in the elements is maybe 12-18 week-ends a year. The rest of the time it's kept in a storage building with the cover on. I can tell you I baby my toys, use only recommended products in their care. I don't allow shoes of any kind in the boat and never allow boards or skis to touch the upholstery. You be the judge..............
BTW..........the heads at Mastercraft find this perfectly acceptable Pics are in this order 1. Left Sun Pad 2. Right Sun Pad 3. Obvious 4. Rear Seat Cushion 5. Right Bow Cushion
Attached Images

Last edited by Mag_Red; 08-25-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:07 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Mag, I'd say that's complete cr@p! My 96 PS190 doesn't even have any cracks in the vynil.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 08-25-2009, 02:09 PM
MC Addict

Boat: Tubtime Tugboat
Send a message via MSN to bcampbe7
Complete BS!

As with Thrall, my 96 PS190 interior looked mint when I sold it with 200+ hours.

So you did contact Mastercraft? What did they say?
Old 08-25-2009, 02:09 PM

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Send a message via MSN to pram
that is sad to say the least. Sorry to see that. IMO that is not a normal, nor acceptable, wear life of the seats in a boat.

There are a lot of boats from the early 90's with that many hours on them that the interiors are in a lot better shape.

MONKEY FACE
Old 08-25-2009, 02:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X30 LTR
Mag, I wouldn't find that acceptable in a 5 year old boat that has been well cared for. Seems to me MC was replacing skins not only for the pink stains but for the splitting vinyl as well. I got a complete new set for my 2001 but I had to install them. You may hit them back up again and see if they will agree to supply to skins if you take care of installation.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:11 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
That shouldn't be happening on a boat that has 310 hours on it, it should be replaced. What did your dealer say?
Old 08-25-2009, 02:11 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
Mag, I'd say that's complete cr@p! My 96 PS190 doesn't even have any cracks in the vynil.
I couldn't agree more..........but like I said......it was brought to Mastercrafts attention and no skins for me! I've owned 4 boats before this one and None of them did this!!!! I'm actually considering a new boat....getting the itch for a wake boat.......but if I can only get a few years out of the vinyl........I might have to investigate one of those Aire Natiques...............seen a lot of them at Dale Hollow Lake two weeks ago.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:14 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott023 View Post
That shouldn't be happening on a boat that has 310 hours on it, it should be replaced. What did your dealer say?
My dealer is no longer here. It was Zane Swank (sp????) that sold me on Mastercraft at the Cincinnati Boat show
Old 08-25-2009, 02:16 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1976 Mastercraft Stars & Stripes 351W
Dangit mag, my seats look better than that and it's got 30 years on it...

Our '76 Stars & Stripes

Canis meus id comedit
Old 08-25-2009, 02:16 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag_Red View Post
Just wanted to see if any one else here would be disappointed to find this on their boat. Boat is a 2004 PS209. (310 hours ) Only time out in the elements is maybe 12-18 week-ends a year. The rest of the time it's kept in a storage building with the cover on. I can tell you I baby my toys, use only recommended products in their care. I don't allow shoes of any kind in the boat and never allow boards or skis to touch the upholstery. You be the judge..............
BTW..........the heads at Mastercraft find this perfectly acceptable Pics are in this order 1. Left Sun Pad 2. Right Sun Pad 3. Obvious 4. Rear Seat Cushion 5. Right Bow Cushion
One thing I wouldn't allow is kneeling on cushions without putting something down to spread the load over a larger area. Fists, elbows and knees or any other weight over a small area is incredibly hard on seams and material. Without knowing the material, I couldn't say how much stretch it has but it varies widely from manufacturer to manufacturer and within each one's lines. The double-edged sword in this is that if it stretches like a balloon, it'll eventually look like one and if it fits really well when new, the material needs to be cut to resist tearing as much as possible. If it's exposed to direct sunlight, I can't think of a single material that will be unaffected. If they used a different supplier for that year, I would think others are having the same problems. I know they used cheaper vinyl in '99 and it wasn't even close to the quality of what they used before. It's also possible that a manufacturer discontinued some products and sold everyone on the new stuff being better. The backing looks like the type that's spun, not like the jersey backing used in a lot of automotive vinyls.

I know this isn't what you want to see as a reply but sunlight beats the crap out of all plastics and it's hard to keep it from becoming less elastic.

See if you can find out who made the material and I'll check into its characteristics. If it's known to have issues with splitting, I'll forward any info I find to you.

Last edited by JimN; 08-25-2009 at 02:22 PM.