Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 03-09-2011, 01:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4rowell View Post
Installed the Fly High piggy back system, 4 new Wetsounds 6.5 hlcd's and Syn 2 amp, new bimini top, and new 4 port Heatercraft heater.
Niiiiiice! I hope my wife never finds out that you can get a boat with a heater. LOL
Old 03-09-2011, 02:59 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
The ones that skidim sells are already setup for the the 351. While using a vacuum gauge is probably the preferred practice for those who know how to use one, I can attest, as someone who wouldn't have a clue how to do that or what to look for if I did, that those carbs from skidim are (or at least seem to be) bolt on, adjust the idle, and go solutions.
It wasn't very far off, but it did make some difference. They are pretty spot on but I think each engine is a little different it never hurts to tune. If you are having part throttle or off idle stumbling you might want to check and set the idle screw mixture.

I did do a high RPM plug test and they do seem to be jetted correctly for the 285/351.

That carb was probably the single best upgrade I did for that boat. No more difficult cold starts, crappy idle, dying or needing to rev it to stay running when cold.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:02 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
It wasn't very far off, but it did make some difference. They are pretty spot on but I think each engine is a little different it never hurts to tune. If you are having part throttle or off idle stumbling you might want to check and set the idle screw mixture.

I did do a high RPM plug test and they do seem to be jetted correctly for the 285/351.

That carb was probably the single best upgrade I did for that boat. No more difficult cold starts, crappy idle, dying or needing to rev it to stay running when cold.
Now that I think about it, I can't remember if I ever adjusted the mixture or not. I know I read up on it, but I think I left well enough alone. Now, I definitely adjusted the idle because it was stumbling at 400 rpm out of the box. Great upgrade for sure. I'm sure with the proper know how, I could have tweaked it to perfection. But, without that know how, the aint broke don't fix it attitude probably served me better.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 S&S, 2001 19 Skier
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Good point. Much easier to do the wrong thing with a carb if you are not well versed in tuning them than the right thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Did you adjust them with a vacuum gauge hooked up?

Can't repeat,

No....vacuum gauge = beyond my tool/skill level. I just bolted on the new carb and gasket, tightened it down without a torque wrench, and it fired right up and ran great. On the water I made a minor idle adjustment to get 600rpm in gear, and that was it.

Nice avatar, by the way--Air Assault!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:58 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStar Slalom View Post
Can't repeat,

No....vacuum gauge = beyond my tool/skill level. I just bolted on the new carb and gasket, tightened it down without a torque wrench, and it fired right up and ran great. On the water I made a minor idle adjustment to get 600rpm in gear, and that was it.

Nice avatar, by the way--Air Assault!

Thanks. 506th and 327th OIF IV 24 year participant.

If you are not having off idle throttle issue then they are probably pretty close.

In a nutshell, You're trying to gain the highest manifold vacuum at operating temp and normal idle speed. Adjust one side a time closing them by half a turn. If the vacuum goes up do the other side a half turn. If vacuum goes down go out a half turn checking each side and always resetting idle if it goes up or down. Both sides should be set to the same setting.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Own a 78 MC S&S
Electrical stuff started coming today

New switches, ign switch, modern fuse panel, and etc arrived today for the 78 S&S. Starting the rewire with the switches....soon. Once that is done, then the fuse box. And finally the wire.
cj
Old 03-10-2011, 09:16 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjahn View Post
New switches, ign switch, modern fuse panel, and etc arrived today for the 78 S&S. Starting the rewire with the switches....soon. Once that is done, then the fuse box. And finally the wire.
cj
On my To Do list also, just not for a while. What fuse box are you going with, and are you going to relocate to a more convenient location? I spent a lot of time upside down working on mine when I first got the boat.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Packages Starting at $569
4 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $319
2 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 03-10-2011, 09:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Own a 78 MC S&S
Fusebox

Well,

Unfortinately I have already rewired three racecars, so I have more experience than I really care to have. The first one was wire by wire due to failures from the prior owner wiring. After that I have done it out of necessity to esure finishes on the other two (Cant win a race on the side of the track plus faulty data acquisition doesnt help either nor blowing a complete digital da$h)

I bought the Blue Sea Systems Fuse Block with the integrated ground block. Electrical switches and such came from West and Advanced Autoparts (of all places - they actually had the brass mometary horn switch I wanted and West didnt.) I still need the wire. Planing on using RC car wire source I used in the past. (very workable; weather resistant, depends on cost for how much I need; basically AV or Military grade)

I do plan on moving it....(Fusebox) just not sure where yet. (Considered putting it between the speedos in the void, with a tinted top but I dont want to drill the dash or put holes in it or mess up the dash look) Thought about a breaker based system instead but thought I would just keep it simple for now. Moving it would allow for the rewire to take place once at a time to ensure its done proper. So, no idea where yet.

Its a good time to do it as I took out the drivers seat to replace the wood and left it out for now because I want to rewire. We will see. May just do the switches now, enjoy the season, and do the wiring next year. I need to do the switches they are flaky.

seeeya.
cj
Old 03-10-2011, 10:06 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjahn View Post
Well,

Unfortinately I have already rewired three racecars, so I have more experience than I really care to have. The first one was wire by wire due to failures from the prior owner wiring. After that I have done it out of necessity to esure finishes on the other two (Cant win a race on the side of the track plus faulty data acquisition doesnt help either nor blowing a complete digital da$h)

I bought the Blue Sea Systems Fuse Block with the integrated ground block. Electrical switches and such came from West and Advanced Autoparts (of all places - they actually had the brass mometary horn switch I wanted and West didnt.) I still need the wire. Planing on using RC car wire source I used in the past. (very workable; weather resistant, depends on cost for how much I need; basically AV or Military grade)

I do plan on moving it....(Fusebox) just not sure where yet. (Considered putting it between the speedos in the void, with a tinted top but I dont want to drill the dash or put holes in it or mess up the dash look) Thought about a breaker based system instead but thought I would just keep it simple for now. Moving it would allow for the rewire to take place once at a time to ensure its done proper. So, no idea where yet.

Its a good time to do it as I took out the drivers seat to replace the wood and left it out for now because I want to rewire. We will see. May just do the switches now, enjoy the season, and do the wiring next year. I need to do the switches they are flaky.

seeeya.
cj
I was really hoping you had some great innovative idea on where to relocate the fuse box as I am still stumped on where to go with it. Really in an unhandy location from the factory. Haven't had a fuse go while on the water, but it wouldn't be fun.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Packages Starting at $569
4 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $319
2 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 03-10-2011, 10:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-2 Born on date of 4-28-08
Installed fly high piggy back in Xstar. Will try out tomorrow.....