Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 03-07-2013, 11:46 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
I picked up Rats boat "The Douche Canoe" and adjusted the carb.

It needed air mix adjustment, accelerator pump adjustment, and idle adjustment.

Lake tested it for an hour and she runs top notch now. I got rid of the hesitation and made her scream. Meanwhile Rat was at work and getting my texts and videos while driving his boat around on a warm day while he was stuck at a desk.

He now has a real nice hole shot.
As soon as we get rid of three feet of snow and three feet of ice I will be able to have fun like that.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 03-07-2013, 11:50 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
As soon as we get rid of three feet of snow and three feet of ice I will be able to have fun like that.
Move to Texas.

It is full of great people and we don't have the harsh winters. Mid 70's today......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 03-07-2013, 11:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
I picked up Rats boat "The Douche Canoe" and adjusted the carb.

It needed air mix adjustment, accelerator pump adjustment, and idle adjustment.

Lake tested it for an hour and she runs top notch now. I got rid of the hesitation and made her scream. Meanwhile Rat was at work and getting my texts and videos while driving his boat around on a warm day while he was stuck at a desk.

He now has a real nice hole shot.
Hey Kyle does the "Douche Canoe" have a 4160? I have always thought I had a bit of hesitation and would be curious to hear your technique for making adjustments.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:33 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall0711 View Post
Hey Kyle does the "Douche Canoe" have a 4160? I have always thought I had a bit of hesitation and would be curious to hear your technique for making adjustments.
Yes a 4160

Run the air mixture screws in and count the amount of turns to tighten both screws in. Both screws are on the front bowl one on each side. Write the amount of turns down.

Back screws off 1 1/2 turns each.

Start the boat and set idle at 800 rpm

If you have hesitation then you probably have a weak accelerator pump spring or it is adjusted not tight enough. With a pair of pliers and a 3/8 wrench, tighten the accelerator pump spring. You can only make 1/8 to 1/4 turns. Tighten a few turns. I did 5 per time. Basically did 5 1/8 or 1/4 turns. Tested it. Hesitation started going away so I tightened more. Basically I kept tightening until it ran properly.

When I first started it was so bad that from idle to wot the boat would die. Now it can go from idle to wot and the hole shot grips and rips out of the hole and hauls ars. Everything is all good now.

If tightening makes it worse then listen the accelerator pump spring. But I bet it needs tightening vs loosening. You probably are starving for fuel when you mash the throttle.

Hope this helps

Quote:
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 03-08-2013, 01:31 AM
TT Enthusiast

Is there a reason to count the Air Mixture turns to tighten if they are just getting set at 1.5 turns out? Just for reference in case it gets worse?
Old 03-08-2013, 01:50 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Is there a reason to count the Air Mixture turns to tighten if they are just getting set at 1.5 turns out? Just for reference in case it gets worse?
Correct. Incase it was better before with X turns in. That way you can put it back to where it was before.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-08-2013, 02:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

I really do not feel a lot of hesitation coming out of the hole.... It seems to go pretty good there... What I notice is when pulling a footer... and I try to go from that mid 20's to foot speed. When I hammer it at about 22-25 it seems to lag; granted for just a split second. I assume its in the carb if anywhere. Could be wrong; and it could be completely normal.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:14 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Installed a new impeller and put the sacs back in today. Putting it in a friend's boathouse tomorrow to do some trailer maintenance over the weekend.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:25 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
I really do not feel a lot of hesitation coming out of the hole.... It seems to go pretty good there... What I notice is when pulling a footer... and I try to go from that mid 20's to foot speed. When I hammer it at about 22-25 it seems to lag; granted for just a split second. I assume its in the carb if anywhere. Could be wrong; and it could be completely normal.

Make sure that the secondary diagram is good. When you hammer down look at the secondaries should open.

I would stand over engine while someone hammers down and watch the fuel spray in all 4 barrels. Then make sure the diaphragm is good.

If you can hammer down from idle then adjust the accelerator pump last.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Kyle; 03-08-2013 at 02:37 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:57 AM

Boat: 06 X30
You need a vacuum gauge and a tach to adjust the air mixture screws correctly. You'll never get them dead on with the butt dyno.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/ho...8/viewall.html

http://www.onedirt.com/news/how-to-p...y-carburetors/