Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 03-01-2013, 11:13 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
There we go!!!! first shoes on the bow and now pizza in the boat!!! I can take this anymore...
LOL - I take plates, napkins and things get wiped up immediately

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
What's next......Cheetos and Grape Crush?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall0711 View Post
Red Gatorade.
Red gatorade - never again... last time it was on my boat was 1998 - the year i bought it and that guy was never invited again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
I'd be willing to bet that you guys would have a real hard time finding a cooler and cleaner '93 190 than mine

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 03-01-2013, 02:04 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
Anything BUT Optima!
Maybe I'm just unlucky, but bought a red top for the old Prostar. It lasted exactly 2 seasons then dead as a doornail in the spring.
Got it warrantied (3yr warranty) figured it was becasue I didn't maintian the battery. Next one lasted exactly 2 seasons and dead! With a maintainer on it in the off season.
Got a 3rd one, warranty, used it a year and put it in my old Jeep. Rarely gets run, rarely gets charged or maintained, left out in the cold in CO for a winter. That one is probably 5 years old and still going strong.
After that one showed that it might hold up, I bought a blue top Optima for the house battery in my X2. 100% on a maintainer. Lasted exactly 2 seasons and dead, wouldnt charge. 2 yr warranty on that one was expired.
I'm 1 for 4 on Optimas. Wouldn't waste my $ on them.
If you're looking for a top of the line AGM battery, I got an Odyssey that is about 5 years old and going strong. It's paired with a 2 yr old same model Odyssey and they seem to get along.
Otherwise for lead acid batteries, I've had great luck with OE Delco batteries from GM and Diehards.
I had to get a new battery on the HD last week...original battery died after about 5 years and we were out of town and just grabbed a Delco from the Chevy dealer in town where were were.

The Delco lasted almost 5 years. So last week, the Delco finally died...went to Sears and got the DieHard Gold. I had those batteries in my old Blazer and Camaro and never had an issue.

I think I am going to get the Sears DieHard Gold for the 190. There is really no reason for me to get a deep cycle for the 190 and the deep cycles only come with a 1 year warranty...or maybe 2 year...
Old 03-01-2013, 02:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
I had to get a new battery on the HD last week...original battery died after about 5 years and we were out of town and just grabbed a Delco from the Chevy dealer in town where were were.

The Delco lasted almost 5 years. So last week, the Delco finally died...went to Sears and got the DieHard Gold. I had those batteries in my old Blazer and Camaro and never had an issue.

I think I am going to get the Sears DieHard Gold for the 190. There is really no reason for me to get a deep cycle for the 190 and the deep cycles only come with a 1 year warranty...or maybe 2 year...
Deka makes a good battery if you have a dealer in your area.

East Penn Manufacturing Co., Inc.
2427 Braga Drive
Broadview, IL 60155
Phone: 708-681-9340
Fax: 708-681-9348
epmbroadview@dekabatteries.com

According to my alternator/starter repairman, many battery manufacturers are putting less and less lead and lead oxide in their batteries in response to price pressure from outlets like Walmart. He recommended Deka.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Maristar LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
Anything BUT Optima!
Maybe I'm just unlucky, but bought a red top for the old Prostar. It lasted exactly 2 seasons then dead as a doornail in the spring.
Got it warrantied (3yr warranty) figured it was becasue I didn't maintian the battery. Next one lasted exactly 2 seasons and dead! With a maintainer on it in the off season.
Got a 3rd one, warranty, used it a year and put it in my old Jeep. Rarely gets run, rarely gets charged or maintained, left out in the cold in CO for a winter. That one is probably 5 years old and still going strong.
After that one showed that it might hold up, I bought a blue top Optima for the house battery in my X2. 100% on a maintainer. Lasted exactly 2 seasons and dead, wouldnt charge. 2 yr warranty on that one was expired.
I'm 1 for 4 on Optimas. Wouldn't waste my $ on them.
If you're looking for a top of the line AGM battery, I got an Odyssey that is about 5 years old and going strong. It's paired with a 2 yr old same model Odyssey and they seem to get along.
Otherwise for lead acid batteries, I've had great luck with OE Delco batteries from GM and Diehards.
I use nothing but Odyssey batteries in my 3 diesel trucks, probably one of the best batteries on the market. I used to use nothing but Optima batteries, but like yourself, found them to not last. I have heard that a few years ago, Optima batteries moved thier manufacturing to Mexico and quality control went downhill. Whether that is true or not I don't know, but I don't use them anymore.
Bill
Old 03-01-2013, 02:21 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
Deka makes a good battery if you have a dealer in your area.

East Penn Manufacturing Co., Inc.
2427 Braga Drive
Broadview, IL 60155
Phone: 708-681-9340
Fax: 708-681-9348
epmbroadview@dekabatteries.com

According to my alternator/starter repairman, many battery manufacturers are putting less and less lead and lead oxide in their batteries in response to price pressure from outlets like Walmart. He recommended Deka.
Cool! Broadview is close to my office...will have to check them out.

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2013, 02:26 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Cool! Broadview is close to my office...will have to check them out.

Thanks!
Glad to help. I knew it was in your general area thanks to the TeamTalk Members Map.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:27 PM
MC Maniac

One thing that I need for the boat is a new winch strap. I was going to replace the strap with a new one since a new one is only about $20.

If I decide to replace the entire winch, what has everyone been buying? I like the black Fulton ones...alot more stylish that the old, basic, silver ones.

What weight capacity would be right for a 94 190? Or at least a minimum weight capacity?

Thanks!

RM
Old 03-01-2013, 02:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Falcon
Not a Mastercraft owner but come here a fair bit. Thought I would post on my winter project. I am refurbishing my 1994 Ski Centurion Falcon. I am replacing the carpet and redoing the upholstery. I am also adding a Jump seat behind the drivers seat. The seats looked good but the foam was shot. I am having a custom tower made that will be pretty close the ND mini or the mastercraft mini tower. New bimini and just plain making it look new again. I am also going to hard plumb the vent tubing and the heater tubing up to the expansion cans to get rid of the crappy tubing the gets mashed and pulled off. Interior is almost finished
Old 03-01-2013, 02:43 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIBUMM View Post
Not a Mastercraft owner but come here a fair bit. Thought I would post on my winter project. I am refurbishing my 1994 Ski Centurion Falcon. I am replacing the carpet and redoing the upholstery. I am also adding a Jump seat behind the drivers seat. The seats looked good but the foam was shot. I am having a custom tower made that will be pretty close the ND mini or the mastercraft mini tower. New bimini and just plain making it look new again. I am also going to hard plumb the vent tubing and the heater tubing up to the expansion cans to get rid of the crappy tubing the gets mashed and pulled off. Interior is almost finished
Nice - make sure u start a new before/after post...

Where in the southwest are you?

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 03-01-2013, 02:44 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
One thing that I need for the boat is a new winch strap. I was going to replace the strap with a new one since a new one is only about $20.

If I decide to replace the entire winch, what has everyone been buying? I like the black Fulton ones...alot more stylish that the old, basic, silver ones.

What weight capacity would be right for a 94 190? Or at least a minimum weight capacity?

Thanks!

RM
I actually went to Lowes and found a winch there for pretty cheap (I also had a Gift Card too so that might of swayed me a little ) Anyways, I think the capacity is pretty low, Edit: my old one says 1,300 lbs. I took a pic of my old winch.....I'll dig it up to confirm for you.

Battery....well I'll give you my 2 cents too. I've heard a ton of stories about Optima. I have two yellow tops in the suburban and blazer but I've already replaced the suburban one once under warranty. The only advantage I've seen is that when the stereo is cranked (3 amps) my headlights don't dim to the drum beat anymore with the yellow top. Other than that, I see no other difference.

For some reason, I've heard that Costco has some real good batteries and better warranty. I just replaced our dinky Lexus battery with a Costco one. Dealer and Napa wanted $130 for a 2yr warranty battery and pro-rated past that. Costco was $69 for same size and 3 yr warranty, then pro rated.

My boat, I honestly don't know what battery I have but it hasn't failed yet!

1994 205, LT1

Last edited by Ski-me; 03-01-2013 at 02:59 PM.