Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 07-15-2012, 04:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Talking It was free!!

Customer at work returned a closeout ski, an older Connelly Pilot that was splitting along the seam by the tail. Store manager gave it to me (vs. destroying it), so I'm in the process of re-gluing the tail. I've used a two-part epoxy injected in between the layers. Hope it holds up.

The split wasn't too bad, although it did start to crack the base. I spread some epoxy over the crack and will sand it down when it fully cures. I know it looks rough now, but hopefully I can smooth most of that out.

Even if it doesn't look perfect, it was a free ski!!! I've heard they're a decent ski for someone trying to start single skiing. Anyone with experience care to share your thoughts on this particular ski?

G
Old 07-15-2012, 06:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MasterCraft X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefooter92 View Post
Brooksfam: I would be interested in your finish project. I will be doing this over the winter.
Not much to look at. tr6coug made an electronic controller. Take the wires off the key switch and connect them to the controller wires. Install the button where the key switch was and its done. Its a momentary switch with a red LED ring when on. One push to turn on acc. second push and hold to start, after running, third push to turn off and back to acc (for radio and such) push again to turn off acc.

You may want to leave the key switch in the 12V line for security. You'd need to relocate it somewhere or hide a toggle or rocker switch somewhere to do the same and eliminate the key all together......

Cleans up the dash where the key switch was a lot..... I'll post a picture of the switch installed. Its a pretty easy installation.
2006 F150 SCrew Puller
http://www.crowniehq.net
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat.../OR/Albany.gif
Old 07-15-2012, 06:57 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweaver View Post
Customer at work returned a closeout ski, an older Connelly Pilot that was splitting along the seam by the tail. Store manager gave it to me (vs. destroying it), so I'm in the process of re-gluing the tail. I've used a two-part epoxy injected in between the layers. Hope it holds up.

The split wasn't too bad, although it did start to crack the base. I spread some epoxy over the crack and will sand it down when it fully cures. I know it looks rough now, but hopefully I can smooth most of that out.

Even if it doesn't look perfect, it was a free ski!!! I've heard they're a decent ski for someone trying to start single skiing. Anyone with experience care to share your thoughts on this particular ski?

G

the wide body is a great learning aid...that plus a training rope and you could be up on your second try....
Old 07-15-2012, 08:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
Prepped for my new front tracking fin when it arrives this week ......oil change, filer, new iridium plugs, some more wax ...... Teak oil ....... Cleaned seats and all vinyl with babes seat soap and followed with 303 protectant ......and yes ... Cleaned the bilge and maybe used some wax on the bilge area.

Yesterday, did a lot of the same things on my buddy's X2 ... He did most the work .... Sweet ride and then he took me surfing.

Also put a Mastercraft sticker on my tool chest!

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
Old 07-15-2012, 08:37 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X2 5.7 Ilmor
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksfamX2 View Post
Not much to look at. tr6coug made an electronic controller. Take the wires off the key switch and connect them to the controller wires. Install the button where the key switch was and its done. Its a momentary switch with a red LED ring when on. One push to turn on acc. second push and hold to start, after running, third push to turn off and back to acc (for radio and such) push again to turn off acc.

You may want to leave the key switch in the 12V line for security. You'd need to relocate it somewhere or hide a toggle or rocker switch somewhere to do the same and eliminate the key all together......

Cleans up the dash where the key switch was a lot..... I'll post a picture of the switch installed. Its a pretty easy installation.
Interesting, take some pictures and post when done.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Malibu Echelon and 1985 Stars and Stripes
No experience with that ski gweaver, but the epoxy fix should work no problem. I've fixed many skis with two part epoxy and haven't had a repair fail yet.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:55 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X1
I polished up 70% of the boat on Sat by hand while our 1yr old took a nap and the rest of the kids watched a movie. It was a whole different process between brief rain fall to dry off, wax, polish...dry again and repeat. I would have done the teak but the weather broke so we got skiing ASAP.

I didn't mind staring at my new interior through the process. Not thinking about grad school and work was fantastic therapy.

I also figured out I'm going to need a new raw water pump. It's leaking, I'm not sure how the bearings are doing, I'm short on time and I found one for $156 on Amazon of all places.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2012, 08:47 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '92 Maristar 240SC BB 454
Send a message via Skype™ to psychobilly
Washing my girl. She's dry now so on to detailing interior! 👍Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343047629.727263.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  54.8 KB
Old 07-23-2012, 08:55 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
Bathed the boat and trailer.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 07-23-2012, 10:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1979 Stars & Stripes
1979 SNS - lots of work this weekend

Lost reverse a few months ago but still used boat regularly without issue. Found a used Velvet Drive 1:1 on Ebay which was 5 miles from me and removed old trans/installed new this weekend. These boats are great - designed to be serviced.

Noticed that a trans mount was cracked and the trans hoses/cooler looked like they needed replacing too so installed new mounts/cooling system. Neoprene shaft seal too.

Trans is heavy but with some help got old one out and new one in - attached hoses/cooler, stuffed shaft seal in which was kind of a pita (could only get 2 "loops" in). The majority of my time was spent locating new mounting hardware but the job is 95% finished. Just need to align motor/trans, tighten up mount bolts, attach flange and cross my fingers. Probably need to clean carpet/gunnels too.

Question - new trans is 71C 1:1 and is identical in everyway to old one but model numbers are different; I don't see "71C" on old trans ID plate.....do I have to worry about rotation direction? Mine was a left rotation - I assume engine always turns same direction and trans determines which way prop turns? So hoping worst case scenario I may have a right rotation after this exchange and need new prop?