Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 02-26-2012, 09:19 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Own a 78 MC S&S
Finally

Finished the trailer death-march.... today after weeks of work

Didnt have the facilities/space to remove the boat so I did the following with the boat on the trailer (wished I could have blasted and powder-ed it but...): Wirebrushed the entire trailer, sanded, primed (brushed oil based primer), painted (brushed oil based enamel), new hubs, bearings, bearing buddies, grease, wheels, tires, lugs, lights, wiring (Soldered, shrink wrapped, sealed and covered with dialectric grease), lights, chains, spare wheels and tires (2), spare tire mounts (2), license plate mount, license plate, toung jack, and I am sure there is more but I forget... Pictures pending (still no camera - being borrowed)

Also replaced the original fuel vent line from 1978 along with the hose clamps, and rebuilt/sealed the vent itself to the back of the boat..... washed off and waxed the bottom.

Next up? Maybe electronic ign, coil, wires, plugs etc.... we will see. (Depends on time and money - with some other projects pending on the racecar as the season approaching quickly!) or if short on funding polish, wax, detail boat and then buff fenders....

Cj
Old 02-26-2012, 09:25 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjahn View Post

Didnt have the facilities/space to remove the boat so I did the following with the boat on the trailer (wished I could have blasted and powder-ed it but...): Wirebrushed the entire trailer, sanded, primed (brushed oil based primer), painted (brushed oil based enamel), new hubs, bearings, bearing buddies, grease, wheels, tires, lugs, lights, wiring (Soldered, shrink wrapped, sealed and covered with dialectric grease), lights, chains, spare wheels and tires (2), spare tire mounts (2), license plate mount, license plate, toung jack, and I am sure there is more but I forget... Pictures pending (still no camera - being borrowed)

Also replaced the original fuel vent line from 1978 along with the hose clamps, and rebuilt/sealed the vent itself to the back of the boat..... washed off and waxed the bottom.

Next up? Maybe electronic ign, coil, wires, plugs etc.... we will see. (Depends on time and money - with some other projects pending on the racecar as the season approaching quickly!) or if short on funding polish, wax, detail boat and then buff fenders....

Cj
sounds like a bunch of elbow grease expended. Anxious to see pics of the outcome.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Packages Starting at $569
4 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $319
2 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 02-26-2012, 09:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 red and white x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwg View Post
Changed the ol and filter. This is the first time in have done this on our new to us 205v. Do they all take for ever to drain? I routed the drain line out the transom plug, warmed up the engine to 160f, opened the fill and opened he dain..... Sloooowly... I got out close to 5 qts but it took a while.
Try using compressed air and a blowgun. I take a shop towel and wrap it around the blowgun on the fill hole in the valvecover. Works good.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:53 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjahn View Post

Cj

way to be....thanks for takin' the care for an mc.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:08 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2003 mcx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbergh View Post

ANybody protecting gel coat from the attaching hardware with anything? The metal hooks are coated but I imagine they could rub boat under a long tow.
I cut some trailer bunk carpet in strips maybe 4 inches wide and 2 feet long.I put the strips between the straps and the gel coat.

"Was it over when the German's bombed pearl harbor ?"
---Animal house
Old 02-27-2012, 12:09 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2003 mcx
How do the boat buckles mount to the trailer?

"Was it over when the German's bombed pearl harbor ?"
---Animal house
Old 02-27-2012, 12:30 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
One bolt in each unit.

Drill a 7/16" hole and put in bolt / nut.

My MC trailer has pretty small angle steel construction, but it is well mounted. Tight fit for bolt on inside, had to dremel the bolt. The included bolts have a flare (like a built in washer - not sure of the nomenclature). I did not feel like running to HD for new bolts, so I modded the included hardware to work, basically flattening the flare that went on the 90' angle of the steel.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:04 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Rewired my amps with #4 wire, new fuse block holders, got my kicker km6500.2's mounted, cans polished, new nav lights in, new transom and front remotes wired/installed, stargazer installed, my dash/side panel back from dying, and my rear seat dropped off at the uphoslters. It was a MC tastic weekend!
Old 02-27-2012, 08:07 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbergh View Post
One bolt in each unit.

Drill a 7/16" hole and put in bolt / nut.

My MC trailer has pretty small angle steel construction, but it is well mounted. Tight fit for bolt on inside, had to dremel the bolt. The included bolts have a flare (like a built in washer - not sure of the nomenclature). I did not feel like running to HD for new bolts, so I modded the included hardware to work, basically flattening the flare that went on the 90' angle of the steel.
I would recommend replacing the hardware with stainless. Once you grind the plating off the nut, it will rust much sooner. Just use a smaller diameter flat washer and a lock-nut.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Packages Starting at $569
4 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $319
2 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 02-27-2012, 09:05 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Own a 78 MC S&S
Crappy old cell pics of trailer completion...

AND one pic to remind us that summer is on the way...
Attached Images