Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 12-11-2011, 01:33 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime View Post
Today and yesterday I cleaned every piece of vinyl in my boat. I've only had my boat a couple months and being winter I just enjoy being around it. I must say though I was a little disappointed, I've been using Meguiars HD vinyl cleaner, with a brush then wiping it clean. Then Mastercraft vinyl conditioner after. The reason I was disappointed was how dirty it was, its coming out clean and looks great. The vinyl is mostly light grey with darker grey and blue accents, now the light grey (post cleaning) is a shade lighter. When I test drove the boat I realized it was a bit dirty (just needed a good clean) but it drove great, engine ran great and had it checked out at the local MC dealer. I've seen PO's maintenance record so I know all regular maintenance was done however why buy a $70 + thousand dollar MC boat and not keep it clean. It is an 08 so it's not that old, and I really don't mind cleaning it, actually I enjoy it. But it just blows me away that it got this dirty in the first place. Oh well there's my .02, my boat is going to enjoy its new home.
Congrats on the new purchase! Post up some pics!
For stubborn dirty areas try a Magic Eraser with hot water and a brush. I use 303 protectant after cleaning. It is a shame some boat owners don't keep them as clean as they should.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:10 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime View Post
Today and yesterday I cleaned every piece of vinyl in my boat. I've only had my boat a couple months and being winter I just enjoy being around it. I must say though I was a little disappointed, I've been using Meguiars HD vinyl cleaner, with a brush then wiping it clean. Then Mastercraft vinyl conditioner after. The reason I was disappointed was how dirty it was, its coming out clean and looks great. The vinyl is mostly light grey with darker grey and blue accents, now the light grey (post cleaning) is a shade lighter. When I test drove the boat I realized it was a bit dirty (just needed a good clean) but it drove great, engine ran great and had it checked out at the local MC dealer. I've seen PO's maintenance record so I know all regular maintenance was done however why buy a $70 + thousand dollar MC boat and not keep it clean. It is an 08 so it's not that old, and I really don't mind cleaning it, actually I enjoy it. But it just blows me away that it got this dirty in the first place. Oh well there's my .02, my boat is going to enjoy its new home.
I hear ya. Some people just have too much money and don't care about their stuff. I, like you, can't understand shelling out $70k and not taking care of it.

But yes, post up some photos of your ride.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:48 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I hear ya. Some people just have too much money and don't care about their stuff. I, like you, can't understand shelling out $70k and not taking care of it.

But yes, post up some photos of your ride.
Maybe they couldn't afford to have someone clean it after they paid for it....

+1 on your comment....
Old 12-11-2011, 03:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X2
Here's my boat, I've also posted some on the X2 thread a while back. I tried taking some before and after of the vinyl, the pictures didn't do it any justice. The vinyl didn't look that dirty at first glance, but once I started scrubbing I realized how light the grey was supposed to be. I've heard alot about the 303, thanks to this site, I'll be getting a bottle of that.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2011, 03:26 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '92 Maristar 240SC BB 454
Send a message via Skype™ to psychobilly
That poor truck is in a BIND!!!
Old 12-11-2011, 05:14 PM

Well the OCD-MC kicked in again... While doing some additional cleaning found a spot that was a bit wet...back in a corner of bulkhead...soooo I decided to take all the rivets remove bump strip and then remove all the other rivets... darn after 16 years they were all loose...so started removing all those as well...just got started... lol... I was going to do this project in fall of 2012....will replace deck rivets with sealant... then run a new bead of sealant at the lip were the deck meets the hull - then re-install bump strip rivets again with sealant...

Them rivets are a real pain to remove...when they spin...have a small pair of needle nose to grab the edge of the rivet... oh well more peace of mind...and a reason to head out to the man cave...
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2011, 05:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorczak1 View Post
Well the OCD-MC kicked in again... ..
Stainless rivets....

I have done that to many of the old boats. About every boat I have had would leak water at low speeds right where the water rolls up onto that area.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 12-11-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
Stainless rivets....

I have done that to many of the old boats. About every boat I have had would leak water at low speeds right where the water rolls up onto that area.

Stainless? The ones I drilled out were aluminum...will the stainless hold up better?
Old 12-11-2011, 05:47 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorczak1 View Post
Stainless? The ones I drilled out were aluminum...will the stainless hold up better?
I was just yanking yEr chain. Aluminum will do just fine. Thanks for the pics.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 12-11-2011, 05:50 PM

I have skills cloaked...and I will find you.... and then we'll have a drink in your boat and make boat sounds...