Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 03-18-2017, 11:04 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasterCraft, Prostar 190, 1988, 351w
Teach me about pylon extensions

Just picked up an 88 Prostar a week or two back. People on here recommended looking into pylon extensions so I gave it a search and boom there was a Skylon 2 piece unit on my local Craigslist for $40! Figured it was worth a try.

Anyways got it home and Im pretty mechanical so I get the basics just was hoping for some experienced peoples tricks and tips. So far I have the following questions:

1. Looks like some type of pylon protection would be good, maybe thin wrap of some type of material? Or would you remove that middle tow hook and slide the extension to the floor?

2. Doesnt appear to fit all the way down to the floor by eyeballing it, maybe a cut in half tennis ball would aid in protecting the top of the original pylon?

3. Does any original pylon piece need to be removed before install?

Thanks!

Old 03-18-2017, 11:15 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Your on the right track. They do make a mesh pylon protector
Old 03-18-2017, 11:17 PM
TT Newbie

Alright cool, I see a lot of people use them with no problems. Just seems like a hell of a lot of additional leverage.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:19 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1998 Mastercraft SportStar, 5.0 TBI
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyD61 View Post
Just picked up an 88 Prostar a week or two back. People on here recommended looking into pylon extensions so I gave it a search and boom there was a Skylon 2 piece unit on my local Craigslist for $40! Figured it was worth a try.

Anyways got it home and Im pretty mechanical so I get the basics just was hoping for some experienced peoples tricks and tips. So far I have the following questions:

1. Looks like some type of pylon protection would be good, maybe thin wrap of some type of material? Or would you remove that middle tow hook and slide the extension to the floor?

2. Doesnt appear to fit all the way down to the floor by eyeballing it, maybe a cut in half tennis ball would aid in protecting the top of the original pylon?

3. Does any original pylon piece need to be removed before install?

Thanks!

I haven't seen one that has two different sizes of pop like yours, both pieces on mine are the same size. If I remember I will put some pics on here tomorrow of how mine sits.

1) You can get the protection sleeves from the Skylon site, 17 bucks if I remember right and it also helps tighten the fit up.

2) It looks like somebody has pulled that tow hook out at some point and put it in upside down on re-install. It should go to the floor, if not, it should be very close.

3) Shouldn't need to pull anything off of the factory pylon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2017, 11:21 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amusick10 View Post
I haven't seen one that has two different sizes of pop like yours, both pieces on mine are the same size. If I remember I will put some pics on here tomorrow of how mine sits.

1) You can get the protection sleeves from the Skylon site, 17 bucks if I remember right and it also helps tighten the fit up.

2) It looks like somebody has pulled that tow hook out at some point and put it in upside down on re-install. It should go to the floor, if not, it should be very close.

3) Shouldn't need to pull anything off of the factory pylon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
From what I read this is the model the preceded the "Skylon Fat Pole" but thanks for the tip on that tow ring, it did seem pretty odd to sit so high.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:45 PM
TT Newbie

Scratch that the older models did not go all the way to the floor.

see this ad for an older one as well:
https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...ghlight=skylon
Old 03-19-2017, 04:59 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X-star 5.7L LTR, 2000 Prostar 190 5.7L LTR, both dark green
We cut a tennis ball in half to protect the top of the pylon.

The pylon should experience minimal leverage, and only when the rider is not directly behind the boat. The bow strap should take most of the pull from the rider. That's also why they have the warning to not exceed 45 degrees from centerline.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:12 PM
TT Newbie

Decided to rebuild this thing a little. Picked up a 5ft piece of round tube and Im going to run this thing all the way to the floor, over all length will be the same of the final item. More pics to come of the finished product.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:46 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I had that exact same one as that for several years. It came with I believe 3 mesh sleeves you could use to protect the pylon and you chose the correct one depending on the diameter of the pylon. I used this on my TriStar and a 95 200 MariStar.

It put considerable stress on the pylon especially if you had someone pulling wide to the side of the boat. The TriStar wasn't too bad, the pylon only moved about 1/2" total. The MariStar was a different story and was moving to the point that it was loosening up the pylon at the mount in the floor. I ended up making additional bracing to help but it scared the heck out of me anytime we had a bigger or more aggressive rider behind the boat. After 2 years using it on the MariStar I decided to put a tower on the boat and slept better at night.

On s Pro Star you might be OK as the pylon is secured to the plate in the bottom of the boat but I'd be watching it if I were you. None of these boats were designed to deal with the leverage these extended pylons put on them. I know I would've felt a lot better about mine if there would have been some kind of lateral support engineered into these.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:51 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
On s Pro Star you might be OK as the pylon is secured to the plate in the bottom of the boat but I'd be watching it if I were you. None of these boats were designed to deal with the leverage these extended pylons put on them. I know I would've felt a lot better about mine if there would have been some kind of lateral support engineered into these.
Yea we'll see how it goes, a lot of others on here and other forms have said they've used them for years without issue. If nothing else it'll hold boards off the ground for the time being.