Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 05-22-2015, 05:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
Windshield removal/disassembly for 94 PS 190

I want to remove the windshield frame on my 1994 ProStar 190 for powdercoating. What is the best approach? Disassemble while in place or remove the windshield intact and disassemble with it off the boat?
Old 05-22-2015, 06:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 190, 1994, 350 TBI 308hp.
I'd do it pc by pc, I assisted with putting my 93 windshield on the promo boat. Be very careful with the glass and good luck.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:53 AM
TT Regular

Boat: current-07 X2, past-02 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
I would disassemble with it off the boat. BE VERY VERY CAREFUL. I bought a used windshield to get a replacement front glass. I shattered the piss out of the side glass just trying to get it apart. It doesn't take much for you to have a problem. I'm going to say this and take it for what its worth. You can take the whole windshield to a reputable windshield shop and have them do it......removing the liability from you...or you can do it yourself and risk having a 3,000 dollar problem that could take a season to resolve.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ProstarSammyD View Post
I would disassemble with it off the boat. BE VERY VERY CAREFUL. I bought a used windshield to get a replacement front glass. I shattered the piss out of the side glass just trying to get it apart. It doesn't take much for you to have a problem. I'm going to say this and take it for what its worth. You can take the whole windshield to a reputable windshield shop and have them do it......removing the liability from you...or you can do it yourself and risk having a 3,000 dollar problem that could take a season to resolve.
Yikes. Message received. What were you doing, in terms of tools and amount and direction of force applied, when the glass failed? Was the windshield on or off the boat?
Old 05-22-2015, 07:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Does anybody else have an opinion on the best procedure or a story about the glass failing during removal or installation? What were you doing to it when the glass failed?

I think I read in another thread some use steam on the seals to make them more pliable. I have a small steam gun I purchased for window tint removal. One of the things I've been wondering is whether thermal shock from steam could cause the glass to fail. Anybody have that happen when warming the seals before removal?

Ideas?
Old 05-22-2015, 08:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: wooden, boat, 1908, putt
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake weir skier View Post
Ideas?
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...&postcount=101

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...02&postcount=2
66 Million Suckers.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:59 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ProstarSammyD View Post
You can't do a good job powder coating the frame with the glass in. Went through so many options last winter when I did mine, and that was ruled out by every company that powder coated around here.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:02 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Remove the whole windshield from the boat before removing glass. Order new seals, as you can't reuse the old ones. BE VERY CARGILL WITH THE GLASS. Like others have said, you break it, it'll be tough to find replacement glass, and when you do, you'll pay out the keyster for it.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott023 View Post
Remove the whole windshield from the boat before removing glass. Order new seals, as you can't reuse the old ones. BE VERY CARGILL WITH THE GLASS. Like others have said, you break it, it'll be tough to find replacement glass, and when you do, you'll pay out the keyster for it.
Order new seals from where and can't reuse the old ones why?

Lex at Rambo tells me he has the seal between the frame and the deck but stuff between the glass and the frame for my 94 PS 190 is no longer available. Learjet2230 posted he tried to get this stuff for his 88 PS 190 and gave up after spending 8 hours on the phone, contacting Mastercraft, and swapping samples with Taylor. Said he ended up cleaning his old ones with water, Dawn, and vinegar and that it worked out.

88 Prostar 190 "Mini-Makeover"

Interested in sources for new ones and wondering why I can't reuse the old ones.

Last edited by lake weir skier; 05-23-2015 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Added URL
Old 05-23-2015, 01:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

I tracked down Cloaked, who says he has removed several but most recently has opted for masking the glass and dash and painting in place with engine paint. Maybe that's the wise thing to do but I'm feeling frisky and would like to have it powdercoated. If disassembling, he recommended taking it off the boat piece by piece. I have a local powdercoater with a good reputation and price and would like to give him this small job as a test before possibly having him do my trailer.

I'm not sure what basis folks have for recommending one approach over the other (piece by piece removal versus whole windshield removal) unless, of course, you are outsourcing the tear down of the windshield and don't want to give them the whole boat.