Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 06-26-2015, 06:02 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 89 Tristar
Leak!

I have a 89 tristar which we have had for a few years. After a day on the lake i always had a little water in the bottom of the boat. It wasn't really a problem but it bugged me. I finally found the problem...Over the years the bilge pump has be replaced three times, each time the installer drilled two new mounting holes. Water is coming through the four old holes, not all the time but only when I am going forward. The faster i go, the faster the water comes in.
My first thought was to fill the holes with some 5200. This would solve one problem but i live in Michigan and in the winter the boat gets close to freezing in storage. If I have water stuck in what appears to be a cavity between the floor and the outer shell. I can only imagine what might happen. Does anyone have any ideas on where the water is getting into this hollow spot in the hull?
Old 06-26-2015, 08:53 AM
MC Devotee

I think if you filled it now, it should dry any trapped water before temps drop below freezing?

Or the other is wait till next spring and fill before it's first outing. This would give it all winter to dry out.