Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old Today, 11:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Maristar 210 with a 454 Chevy Big Block
Steering Failure

This weekend while pulling a skier I had a steering failure. The boat is a 1990 Maristar 210 and the steering cable is only a few years old. Here is what happened.
Drove to our skiing area which is about 3 miles without an issue. While driving at about 30 MPH I turned to the left and nothing happened, I immediately stopped the boat. The boat would steer at idle speed but anything faster, nothing! I checked the steering wheel, the three screws in the center of the steering wheel are in place (secure) and the cable looks fine from underneath. Pulled the boat out of the water and the rudder moved correctly when turning the wheel.
I am told there are two connections in the back of the boat that have either pins or screws and this could be where the problem is.
Has anyone had this issue? Any information on how to get to these to connections would be really helpful. Pictures of the locations would be awesome.
Thanks, Ken