Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 12-01-2014, 12:05 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1996 prostar 190, 5.7L
1996 Prostar 190

I just bought this 1996 Prostar 190. It is in really nice shape. I was thinking of putting a wakeboard tower on it. I there any suggestions as to which one might look the best on it or should I just leave it alone? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2014, 12:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Very common question/debate on this particular boat, which by the way looks very nice.

Most will comment that since this is by no means a Wakeboard boat you're better off staying with the clean lines MC designed into this boat and don't mess with it (I'm in the group BTW).

Others will recommend going to the short New Dimensions tower as it will look as close to stock and will be the least offensive (if you're set on a tower I'd be in this group also).

The last group will say that since it's your boat you should do whatever you want to it. If you want to join the "ugliest tower club" that is your right and you should do so. Which I guess that would be your right as you bought it but I would not support.

It would appear that you bought a very nice survivor boat in great condition. My advise would be to take your time and figure out what will meet your needs best and be best for the boat. Keep in mind that adding a tower rarely adds value to a boat and if not done properly will limit market interest and can actually reduce the value of your investment.

Congratulations on your purchase. Enjoy!
Old 12-01-2014, 01:40 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum. I agree with everything bturner said above. Heck I could have typed it for him.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft ProStar 209X9 & ProStar 190 LT1-Powerslot
Nice boat. Congrats!! Looks like you snatched that up at The Liquid Edge
Old 12-01-2014, 02:19 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
tburner2 said it all, and I'm with the second group and recommend a New Dimensions. I would have if I had the budget at the time I got mine.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 12-01-2014, 02:30 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
welcome to Team Talk and congrats on buying a great boat. I would factor how long you anticipate keeping the boat into the tower/extended pylon choice. You will never regret a New Dimension tower, unless you want to sell it in two years. Short term ownership would go best with an extended pylon.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 12-01-2014, 03:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 Prostar 190
I have the same boat as you and the previous owner put a full-height New Dimensions tower on it. I think it looks better than any other tower I've seen and follows the lines of the boat really nicely. You can see your model boat with the tower on it on the New Dimensions website.

In contrast to what was said above, I do think the tower increases the value of the boat to the general boating public, but not by nearly as much as a new tower costs. A tower on this type of boat is not an investment, it is just an expense, which you may be able to justify if it increases the enjoyment of your boat. When I was shopping for this model of boat last year I was willing to pay an extra $800-$1000 for a boat with an ND tower, but I think they cost $2500 or more new (especially after you get your speakers, racks and other accessories on the tower).
Old 12-01-2014, 03:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 93 Barefoot 200 Yamaha 225F
A pylon Extension will give the benefits of a tower without the adverse side-affects.

I would not put a tower on that boat.

Your next boat could be a genuine tower boat.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
A pylon Extension will give the benefits of a tower without the adverse side-affects.

I would not put a tower on that boat.

Your next boat could be a genuine tower boat.
+1... not a great expense and you can always add a tower if you determine you really really want one...
Old 12-01-2014, 05:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 Stars & Stripes Prostar 190 351 285 hp
Classic slalom machine. If you plan on owning it 5+ years, set it up with a tower, if you really think it will help your wakeboarding. (Does it really, unless you are a pro?) Otherwise, get a pylon, and leave the boat origional. It will be easier to sell, and you won't lose money on a tower. Great looking boat!