Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 12-27-2015, 03:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft Prostar 197
PS197 Rear grab bar with tow hook

I've read a couple of threads that went dead on this topic.

Attached is a document from Mastercraft showing a rear grab bar with integrated tow hook that I'd like to install. I've seen a few other kinds of grab bars but this one caught my eye as the price looked reasonable and the boat it was installed on in this document was a PS197.

A couple of questions below:

1. Does anyone know what the part # is for this grab bar and where to source it?

2. Can this be installed without having to remove the gas tank?

Thanks.

Grab Bar Installation ver2 (1).pdf
Old 12-28-2015, 11:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

After further investigation, I don't think MC sells that style of grab bar tow hook anymore, but there is a newer version. From what I can see, I have three options:

1. The new aluminum grab bar tow hook combo. $260-270 shipped.

Name:  s-l500.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  11.3 KB

2. Rear eye tow hook. Assuming I would remove the metal Mastercraft logo plate on the transom where the rub rail is and replace it with this. $45 shipped.

Name:  mbe5IGY1pGB5giN2Y8PFLSQ.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  4.2 KB

3. A rear tow harness that clips off of the (2) transom cleats. $27 shipped.

Name:  44140_L1.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  37.3 KB

If anyone has any experience in these and could shed some wisdom in regards to the best bang for the buck, that would be great. The billet grab bar tow hook combo may also be a really helpful in terms of people pulling themselves up onto the ski platform and it's worth it just for that. Or the rear eye tow hook may not be worth the installation trouble, and I should just go with the rear tow harness instead. I'm really not sure! Any wisdom on this is very helpful, just trying to keep it practical and not waste $$$.

If I haven't already mentioned, this will be primarily for mid day tubing (which we do not do a ton of), half *** surfing attempts, half *** wakeboarding, and half *** water skiing, all when having a relatively full boat so I can keep people on the rear bench and not in the disastrous bow seating area (which I learned is pretty much useless space while underway in a 197)....

Thanks...
Old 12-28-2015, 12:35 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Sold All My MasterCrafts :(
Before you scab one of those things on your boat I would give a dealer a call to see if the transom was reinforced for towing on the 197. If it was I would try to find the mastercraft oe part.

Have you considered a fly high pole?

Towing from the transom sucks. I used to do it as a last resort on my 209.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Tow Hook

Different boat, but we use the second option. It comes in handy for tubes and other towing. We occasionally use it for mooring, as well.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2015, 01:05 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
MacAttack did this write up a while back. No matter what you go with, the info will likely be useful.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=26812
Old 12-28-2015, 07:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by epnault View Post
Before you scab one of those things on your boat I would give a dealer a call to see if the transom was reinforced for towing on the 197. If it was I would try to find the mastercraft oe part.

Have you considered a fly high pole?

Towing from the transom sucks. I used to do it as a last resort on my 209.

The 550415 bar is a factory bar from MC, and the factory install location on a 197 is in the middle of the transom run rail.

You are correct in that towing from the transom sucks. But towing from the transom is also awesome when you can put people on the rear bench instead of in the bow seats on a 197. Plus at that point in the day where you have that many ppl in the boat the smooth water for slalom is long gone and the hung over beer league personnel start hopping onboard. I could care less about towing them from the transom.

I have considered a fly high pole. I'm leaning away from it because I do not have anywhere to store it in the boat, and it's just another item to bring into the locker room on Sunday afternoon at 6PM while I'm pissed off that I the weekend is over and I still have a 2hr 45min drive back to CT. I'm all about convenience, yes the boat lift is the next big purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tph View Post
Different boat, but we use the second option. It comes in handy for tubes and other towing. We occasionally use it for mooring, as well.
Very nice! Did you reinforce with a steel backing plate? Thank you for posting this picture, nice looking paint on that boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
MacAttack did this write up a while back. No matter what you go with, the info will likely be useful.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=26812

Thanks Sodar. I read thru that thread and there is for sure some good info. At this point for me it really boils down to functionality; is the bar worth the cash based on transom towing performance or maybe solely on the ergonomics of being able to easily pull yourself up onto the platform. I've had zero experience on either of these. I found it more than adequate to pull up myself from the platform, but maybe the grab bar is a total game changer. So if I'm answering my question regarding the grab portion, then is it a must to have a tow hook like TPH has, or is the performance still so dismal off of the transom that at that point I should just spend the 20 bucks for option 3......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2015, 12:35 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 ProStar 197, MCX, Sammy Duvall
I have your Option 1 sitting on my desk next to me. The MasterCraft part number is 550415. I purchased it recently for my 2004 PS197 from Great Lakes Skipper. The GLS part number is 8401488-1PJ3.

I have not installed it yet. My use is as a grab bar - not for towing. I find getting back on the swim platform after a slalom set to be awkward at best. Hence the need for a grab bar.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rager View Post
I have your Option 1 sitting on my desk next to me. The MasterCraft part number is 550415. I purchased it recently for my 2004 PS197 from Great Lakes Skipper. The GLS part number is 8401488-1PJ3.

I have not installed it yet. My use is as a grab bar - not for towing. I find getting back on the swim platform after a slalom set to be awkward at best. Hence the need for a grab bar.
Thanks for the part #s.

I pull myself head on and swing my butt around on the platform, them relax for a few seconds while enjoying the exhaust fumes and scenery.

Are you saying it's awkward from this position to swing around and stand up on the platform?

Let me know if you decide not to install
Old 12-29-2015, 11:05 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: wooden, boat, 1908, putt
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rager View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
Thanks for the part #s.

I pull myself head on and swing my butt around on the platform, them relax for a few seconds while enjoying the exhaust fumes and scenery.

Are you saying it's awkward from this position to swing around and stand up on the platform?

Let me know if you decide not to install
www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=60629
66 Million Suckers.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 12-29-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Tow Hook

Very nice! Did you reinforce with a steel backing plate? Thank you for posting this picture, nice looking paint on that boat.

Thanks. It's been so long since I installed it, I don't remember if I used a backing plate. It's a good idea. Thanks for the compliment on the boat finish too.