Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 05-22-2009, 11:11 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2003 mcx
What ever you do don't buy carlise tires.There junk!!!!

"Was it over when the German's bombed pearl harbor ?"
---Animal house
Old 05-22-2009, 04:13 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X45
Clearly there is a lot of problems with the Goodyears. I will be able to relax when I drive if I just replace them with a higher rating. Such a bummer, everything else MC has been perfect.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:50 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X45, 2008, LY6
Add another trailer tire blowout to the GoodYear Marathon count. My X-45 was in the shop for a 10 hour service. THAT"S RIGHT!!...ONLY TEN HOURS!!...A BRAND NEW BOAT AND TRAILER!!! It was being towed back from one of my dealers' vendors when the tire let loose on the freeway. I had just mounted the optional spare tire, thank goodness, but it's another GoodYear Marathon. Hopefully the dealer or will do the right thing and cover the tire. Probly with another GoodYear Marathon. SCARY! I bet this tire had less than 500 miles on it. (Yes it was properly inflated)
Old 05-24-2009, 12:51 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2003 mcx
Is this just happening with the X-45's?
I thought goodyear marathon's were top of the line.

"Was it over when the German's bombed pearl harbor ?"
---Animal house
Old 05-24-2009, 08:46 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
I had to replace 2 Marathons on my X-star trailer last year.
One had a belt seperation, the other had a huge bubble in the sidewall (the side facing in, so get under your trailer and check those sidewalls!)

The Goodyear dealer replaced them at about 1/2 price because of tire tread remaining. If you guys have nearly-new tires with a problem like this it should be a free replacement from Goodyear. (usually 9/32" or more remaining is a free replacement) I use to manage a goodyear shop

Most importantly, inflate tire cold to the recommended pressure on the sidewall.
Also don't overload your trailer like I did. (I had 500# extra lead ballast in my boat last year)
Old 05-24-2009, 10:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 200, 1990, Mercury Black Max 200
Now I am second guessing my purchase. Like TOO-TALL, I thought the Marathons were a top tire and came highly recommended.

I just purchased new 205/75/14 Marathons last week. I have read a lot about these and people seem to be very concerned with the China made tires. After getting my tires, I immediately checked the DOT code. According to the charts that I have found, the first two digits indicate what plant made the tires, the code on my tires all start with M6 which indicates the plant in Lawton Oklahoma USA.

Another thing to look for in the DOT code is the date of manufacture. Even though you are buying a new tire it could have been sitting on the shelf for years possibly. I have seen recommendations not to use a tire, even if brand new, if the date of manufacture is more than 6 years ago.

Well, I will keep a close eye on the tires before and after each trip and hope for the best. I am particularly concerned because I have a single axle trailer.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hat_in_Cincy View Post
Please be careful on how you are reading the information in the Goodyear letter (I had been misreading it). Although it states to raise the pressure 10psi of the "recommended pressure for the load", it clearly states NOT TO EXCEED the max inflation rate of the tire.

Basically (based on a 65psi cold max tire inflation rating) if your load calls for 50psi you should raise it to 60psi. However, if your load already calls for the 65psi cold you should not raise your pressure. You should restrict your speed to 65mph.

Read it again and let me know what you think.
P-hat, I read that to say that the wheel rating, not tire rating. To me that means its ok to go to 75 psi if your wheel does not have a lower rating even if the tire side wall says max psi is 65. I could be wrong though.

2004 Prostar 197 - Red on White

350 TBI, Perfect Pass, Heater, Shower and a whole lot of fun!
Old 05-26-2009, 05:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X2
Its not the tires, its the torsion axle. The torsion axles do not properly equalize the load, thus putting excess load on tires when turning, etc..
Old 05-26-2009, 11:33 PM
mike6275423

I had the exact saqme problem i think i blew at least 6 tires I switched to 15 inch wheels and tires and have not had a problem since.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:22 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MC X2, RTP-1 5.7L 310 HP 1.5:1, 14.25 x 14.5 XMP OJ Prop, bimini, depth finder, and table, teak platform, White/viper red
Quote:
Originally Posted by njskier View Post
I had to replace 2 Marathons on my X-star trailer last year.
One had a belt seperation, the other had a huge bubble in the sidewall (the side facing in, so get under your trailer and check those sidewalls!)
I have what looks like a lump or bubble in all tires facing out including the never used yet spare. Never thought much of it but am second guessing it now. These are the Marathons but with Load rating D tires.