Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2009, 10:26 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 ProStar 205 V 350 TBi
ski rope vs. wake board line

Hello, tuesday went out too the lake for some family time. Anyway, when the boy had had enough wakeboarding i went skiing. I didnt want to mess with changing the wake board line out so tried to ski with it. I couldn't get out of the water trying to use the wakeboard line. Switched over the ski rope and came out first time trying.
What is the deal? Am i that weak? Technique or lack of? Weird. I realize the ski rope has stretch to it while the WB line doesn't; would this be the difference?

The bad thing is the while trying to get out of the water using the wakeboard line i effed up my right shoulder... Stupid rotator cuff injury; Doc gave me steroid and pain pills, i have been taking it easy at work not trying to lift with my right arm and icing the heck out of it. So no joy this weekend, other than i do enjoy watching the children wakeboard/ski. (might try to WB, just try not too stress the right shoulder).

thanks,
rtp
Old 08-21-2009, 11:07 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 PS197
Slalom line has a certain amount of stretch in it. Wakeboard line has less. Stiffer rope to launch = more stress on your joints. Trying to recall the last time I used my "nostretch" barefoot line to get up on a ski but it's been years.

I always found that adjusting any variable in a small way can make a vast difference on the launch - notice that with guest skiers and learners......
Old 08-21-2009, 11:22 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: none at moment
Non stretch vs stretch rope makes a big difference. Pulled some slalomers a while back with a wake rope and they had a tough time getting out of the water too- and they are good skiers. One guy ended up putting the handle in his elbow joints because the rope kept pulling out of his hands. That method was the only way he could get out of the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooger View Post
Hello, tuesday went out too the lake for some family time. Anyway, when the boy had had enough wakeboarding i went skiing. I didnt want to mess with changing the wake board line out so tried to ski with it. I couldn't get out of the water trying to use the wakeboard line. Switched over the ski rope and came out first time trying.
What is the deal? Am i that weak? Technique or lack of? Weird. I realize the ski rope has stretch to it while the WB line doesn't; would this be the difference?

The bad thing is the while trying to get out of the water using the wakeboard line i effed up my right shoulder... Stupid rotator cuff injury; Doc gave me steroid and pain pills, i have been taking it easy at work not trying to lift with my right arm and icing the heck out of it. So no joy this weekend, other than i do enjoy watching the children wakeboard/ski. (might try to WB, just try not too stress the right shoulder).

thanks,
rtp
Old 08-21-2009, 11:25 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 VRS
good to know...
Old 08-21-2009, 11:56 AM
TT Regular

Thanks for the replies. Sure did make a difference to me.

Kind of amazed me when my wife suggested tossing the ski rope out and it worked; what i mean to say is amazed, not that she had a good idea ;>) just that it made a difference.

Thanks again,
rtp
Old 08-21-2009, 02:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft, ProStar 209, 2003, MCX
It's not the ropes fault. Sounds like a combination of driver + skier error. If you are doing a step-off barefoot run you basically are doing a deep water slalom ski start with a no-stretch rope.

No in hell am I going to pull someone out of the water with their elbows in the handle, that is incredibly dumb.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:02 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
It's not the ropes fault. Sounds like a combination of driver + skier error. If you are doing a step-off barefoot run you basically are doing a deep water slalom ski start with a no-stretch rope.

No in hell am I going to pull someone out of the water with their elbows in the handle, that is incredibly dumb.
Don't get me wrong... I never figured it was the ropes fault. In the back of my head i kinda figured tournament skiers would use a no stretch rope (or line) so i figured why bother switching. (what type of line will tournament skiers use?)

Not that i am anywhere near a tournament skier... I barely fit the bill of recreational skier.

Its all good.

take it easy
Old 08-21-2009, 03:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft, ProStar 209, 2003, MCX
Up until a couple years ago damn near all slalom rope (rec -> tournament) was 3/8" Poly-P. I haven't been on the starting dock in a few years so couldn't tell you what the hot line is now, but looks like 10mm Poly-P from some MFG ads (so same stuff I guess).

If you're not comfortable with the line you'll convince yourself you can't do it.

Last edited by Hollywood; 08-21-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:26 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
That's interesting. I never use the ski rope cuz the wakeboard rope is always out. I have a hard time getting up without just the right pull sometimes, but I suk at skiing. I'm going to try the ski rope next time even though I can't imagine it makes that much difference (to a novice anyway).

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 08-21-2009, 08:46 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Wow, this is an eye opener. Last year I tried to slalom behind my buddies X-1 but i couldn't get up after 3 tries! I have not been on my slalom ski for about 4 years, but prior to that I've been skiing for over 20 years. I was really disappointed with myself so I gave up. Have not tried since.

I was using a wakeboard rope and told my buddy to really hit it! Handle kept popping out of my hands. Next time I'm using my slalom rope.