Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-20-2009, 04:44 PM
jdl xstar's Avatar
jdl xstar jdl xstar is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: none at moment
Location: Southeast
Posts: 1,180
Converting a freshwater MC to Salt Water

Is a salt water series boat THAT much different than a freshwater? My question is not a challenge, rather I am seeking to learn what may be involved in converting my boat to be more salt water friendly. I have never taken my X2 in salt because the word itself instills fear in the resale market apparently and until now I've never wanted to have to answer "yes" when asked if the boat has been in salt. I've debated getting an all out SS MC but if I can have a local shop do some modifications, perhaps I can save some serious $.

Besides the trailer, what would be some crucial parts that would need to be modified or replaced? thanks-
__________________
Previous - 2007 X-Star w/ 8.1l
Previous - 2007 X2 w/ MCX

Last edited by jdl xstar; 08-20-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-21-2009, 12:12 AM
turbosdad turbosdad is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Boat: 2008 X-2 Born on date of 4-28-08
Location: Texas
Posts: 184
as far as I know it is only the closed cooling system. no salt water running through the engine???
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-21-2009, 06:47 AM
jakethebt's Avatar
jakethebt jakethebt is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: '96 Prostar 205 LT-1
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 580
Trailer is galvanized. Closed loop cooling system. Sacrificial anodes.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-21-2009, 08:32 AM
Jerseydave's Avatar
Jerseydave Jerseydave is offline
TT Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Location: Jersey
Posts: 5,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlarsen1 View Post
Is a salt water series boat THAT much different than a freshwater? My question is not a challenge, rather I am seeking to learn what may be involved in converting my boat to be more salt water friendly. I have never taken my X2 in salt because the word itself instills fear in the resale market apparently and until now I've never wanted to have to answer "yes" when asked if the boat has been in salt. I've debated getting an all out SS MC but if I can have a local shop do some modifications, perhaps I can save some serious $.

Besides the trailer, what would be some crucial parts that would need to be modified or replaced? thanks-
Your in orlando (tons of lakes), why would you want to dip it in salt? I quess a few times wouldn't be too bad, but you have to flush the engine right away and spray WD-40 everywhere! The trailer will not survive salt if it's painted.
__________________
I was njskier on here.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-21-2009, 09:38 AM
jdl xstar's Avatar
jdl xstar jdl xstar is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: none at moment
Location: Southeast
Posts: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by njskier View Post
Your in orlando (tons of lakes), why would you want to dip it in salt? I quess a few times wouldn't be too bad, but you have to flush the engine right away and spray WD-40 everywhere! The trailer will not survive salt if it's painted.
Lakes here are great- been skiing the same ones for 25 years. But, the fact that i'm roughly an hour to both coasts opens up whole new worlds of boating areas and coastal exploring which I'd love to do. I'll do some more research about how to prep the boat before and after taking it into salt. Closed cooling system seems to be the biggest modification, but again, if I flush afterwards, I'd think it'd be ok. Thanks for the input!
__________________
Previous - 2007 X-Star w/ 8.1l
Previous - 2007 X2 w/ MCX
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-21-2009, 09:39 AM
MariStar-Man's Avatar
MariStar-Man MariStar-Man is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 VRS
Location: Invisible...
Posts: 1,197
I think the Salt water Babes, are just as hot as the Fresh Water Ones...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-21-2009, 10:39 AM
Jim@BAWS's Avatar
Jim@BAWS Jim@BAWS is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 1996 PS 190 LT-1/Powerslot
Location: Land O Lakes. FL
Posts: 5,123
Additions to SS boats

a)100% closed cooling including exhaust manifolds
b) Tinned wiring along w/ upgraded wiring harness' and couplings (Now standard on all MC Boats)
c) additional stainless steel Seat and storage shocks
d) Scuppered interior
e) No carpet in storage areas
f) Hydraulic steering NO CABLE to go bad
g) galvinized trailer
h) compass
i) High mount starter and alternator
j) scaraficial zincs and annodes COMMON WIRE TO GROUND

In totality...about 5-6 K in total price depending on trailer and boat

Worth the proper investment

Jim@BAWS
__________________
James (Jim) Kranendonk Pres-BAWS
Tampa Bay's Exclusive MasterCraft Dealer

www.BAYAREAWATERSPORTS.com
(813) 996-BAWS (2297)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-04-2009, 08:33 PM
7thsfgdoc's Avatar
7thsfgdoc 7thsfgdoc is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Boat: '78 Stars and Stripes (undergoing restoration)
Location: Southeast
Posts: 14
Anyone know where I can find a closed cooling system including exhaust manifolds for a '78 351 Windsor PCM engine? I am in the process of restoring a '78 S&S. Rebuilding the engine is the initial step that I am doing right now. I will be moving to Florida in about 1 1/2 years and the boat will be used extensively in salt/brackish water. Thanks for any recommendations.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Jim@BAWS's Avatar
Jim@BAWS Jim@BAWS is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 1996 PS 190 LT-1/Powerslot
Location: Land O Lakes. FL
Posts: 5,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thsfgdoc View Post
Anyone know where I can find a closed cooling system including exhaust manifolds for a '78 351 Windsor PCM engine? I am in the process of restoring a '78 S&S. Rebuilding the engine is the initial step that I am doing right now. I will be moving to Florida in about 1 1/2 years and the boat will be used extensively in salt/brackish water. Thanks for any recommendations.

I would only go w/ a 1/2 system in your case by where the inter workings of the block are cooled by a closed system w/ anto freeze. A full system will be very very expensive. Your steel exhaust manifolds flushed w/ fresh water will last 4-500 hours if maintained properly.

Call me for more details...75% of the new boats we sell are SALTWATER series boats

Jim@BAWS
__________________
James (Jim) Kranendonk Pres-BAWS
Tampa Bay's Exclusive MasterCraft Dealer

www.BAYAREAWATERSPORTS.com
(813) 996-BAWS (2297)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Jerseydave's Avatar
Jerseydave Jerseydave is offline
TT Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Location: Jersey
Posts: 5,391
http://www.orcamarine.com/

It would be a shame to take any older pristine Mastercraft into salt water much of the time. My buddy had an '84 that he used in salt water......the rust and corrosion was really bad after only 3-4 years. He did not have closed cooling, but that would not have made any difference with the external engine/trans corrosion.

Maybe keep your '78 for fresh water and find a nice prostar 200 outboard???
__________________
I was njskier on here.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:50 PM.