Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 08-16-2009, 09:31 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 1993 MASTERCRAFT PROSTAR 190 285HP 351 INDMAR
Doesn't everyone on here polish their prop and rudder once? Once! Send us a picture in a couple of weeks!

You can make it last a bit longer with an occasional squirt of Kaboom or a similar product. Then a light polish will be all you need. I did mine a few years back and that is all I have to say about that. Other than Harold most of our gear is green!

!UOY NAHT RETSAF MA I TUB KNURD EB YAM I
Old 08-16-2009, 09:38 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Bob View Post
Doesn't everyone on here polish their prop and rudder once? Once! Send us a picture in a couple of weeks!

You can make it last a bit longer with an occasional squirt of Kaboom or a similar product. Then a light polish will be all you need. I did mine a few years back and that is all I have to say about that. Other than Harold most of our gear is green!

If everyone's is green, then your contributing to lowering your carbon footprint on the water, by going green, right?

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:53 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
Don't get me wrong............. I flat out don't like you or your posts, .
I didn't come here to please you so I don't give a darn what you think....so you do your thing and I'll do mine and we'll leave it at that.....deal?
Old 08-16-2009, 09:56 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by coz View Post
I didn't come here to please you so I don't give a darn what you think....so you do your thing and I'll do mine and we'll leave it at that.....deal?
Deal.........

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:02 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
Deal.........
That's what I said too, when Lynn asked if she could polish my rudder!

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:05 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMCNo1 View Post

You Tee'd it up but I just can't..........

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:06 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMCNo1 View Post
Is that because it's so bent & rusty
Old 08-16-2009, 11:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 VRS
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
Don't get hung up on "marine oil" - there really is no such thing. The oil that's recommended for your engine is 15W40 with API specs CI-4/SJ.
That's a great idea. That little bras fitting is terrifico!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummy View Post
Your ignition is a distributorless setup that uses 2 crank position sensors located So should i replace the sensors or wait till they go out?

No need for marine oil, really. Just use 15W-40 diesel oil and a good Wix or NAPA Gold filter. Here's a quick oil change write up I did: http://garagemonkey.net/garage-monke...e-gallery.html Your camshaft is a hydraulic roller, so there's no brutal flat-tappet lifter contact to worry about anyway.

Also, make sure you note which way the impeller blades are twisted before you take out the old one when you replace it. You'll need to spin the new impeller in to clock the vanes in the same direction or it can fragment.You should definately write a repair manual! Great Tip!

You got a squeal? Check your serpentine belt and see if you've got an idler pulley in there. I can't remember based off mine if the LTR uses one or not. If the boat got wet in there and sat the idler pulley bearing can seize and cause a squeal. Just one more thing to check for.

I also seem to recall reading on this site about an alternator bracket recall, so if yours is broken and your alternator is cocked that could cause some squealing.i'll do a search for recals...I can't take the boat out till I know everything about it. plus, I like doing the work myself...I know it done...lol
Old 08-17-2009, 12:00 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 1999 Maristar 230 sport
My 99 Maristar 230 makes a knocking noise when you put it in gear but it goes away at about 1100 rpm. I've had it about 9 months now and have had no problem. But it needs to be in the water to test!
Old 08-17-2009, 12:02 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Your plugs are AC MR43LTS. As Dummy posted, no cap and rotor. If you want to have better oil filtering, use the large can AC PH-1812 or equivalent, but avoid Fram. Wix supposedly makes AC filters now (according to the NAPA store I went to), NAPA filters are good, too. Really, as long as you don't overheat it (this means make sure the impeller is good and the oil cooler isn't clogged) and the oil/filter is changed regularly, you won't have a problem. Get in the habit of checking the oil cooler often because that being clogged is the one thing that can cook your impeller and motor before you know you have a problem. I have to find the oil cooler still. While I was in there I saw the raw water pickup hose and it went to the impeller and then out, but i didn't see the MESH that blocks debris from getting into the pipes. My Raw water pickup has slats about 1/8th inch apart...?

Also, DO NOT run it on the trailer or out of water unless you have some way of supplying cooling water and if you do this, don't put it in gear for any length of time, either. I'm not a fan of Fake A Lake, period. Nothing will make me use one, either. As long as you don't rev it up, you can buy a section of 1-1/4" hose and a couple of hose clamps, so you can attach it to the inlet side of the oil cooler. First i disconnected the 1 1/4 inch hose from my raw water pickup, then I attached my garden hose with some ducttape. (This was temporary till make a shut-off valve and hose as pictured. I warmed up the enginge and changed the oil. If you put a shutoff valve on it, you won't have to get out of the boat to shut the water off.
I really like the idea of the hose and shutoff valve...