Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 08-21-2009, 11:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by coz View Post
Keep posting pics like that and you & I will get along just fine you'll piss everyone else off but who gives a darn, they don't have to look
i thought a pic was worth a 1000 words...!lol Tell them all to get cable! forget DSL or Net Zero. Net Zero is for Zero's...
Old 08-21-2009, 11:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1979 Mastercraft, 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariStar-Man View Post
When I bought the boat, I found a bolt that was almost off on the engine mount. the lady at the mastercraft store said my round thing with 4 bolts had to be 3 thousandth's of an inch and i need to check it with feeler gauge.

mine looks like it's just bolted tightly with no room...?
Help me or I will cast a spell on you!

While at speed 20 mph, She turns left pretty easily but feels like shes strugles a bit when turning right.
Long time reader first time poster...

Rev up this beauty to at least 40 to 45mph and all of her struggles will be history, she will melt in your hands just like butter on a very tasty, toasted muffin
Old 08-21-2009, 11:37 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
Quote:
What do you do for a living?

that would probably be why most of us have you on the ignore list!!!!
Old 08-22-2009, 02:38 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB View Post
Your prop is LH rotation, correct?
Yes It turns to left as if I were standing in the back of the boat looking at the rear
Old 08-22-2009, 02:41 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
What do you do for a living?

I enjoy...
Old 08-22-2009, 08:31 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttu View Post
Funny how people always remind me I'm on their ignore list yet they always reply to my posts to remind me that. If you say I'm on your list......then do as you say and ignore me.......I promise I won't lose any sleep over it
Old 08-22-2009, 08:56 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariStar-Man View Post
When I bought the boat, I found a bolt that was almost off on the engine mount. the lady at the mastercraft store said my round thing with 4 bolts had to be 3 thousandth's of an inch and i need to check it with feeler gauge.

mine looks like it's just bolted tightly with no room...?
Help me or I will cast a spell on you!

While at speed 20 mph, She turns left pretty easily but feels like shes strugles a bit when turning right.
The .003" is the tolerance for aligning the shaft coupler (my round thing with 4 bolts). Assuming the end of the shaft is straight, loosening the coupler bolts and sliding the shaft back should reveal only a maximum variation of .003" in the gap- it it's more, the motor and/or strut need alignment. The fact that you have a vibration means the prop and/or shaft is bent. The photo of the prop after you polished is shows a line across it and my first thought was that it had been repaired from hitting something but that doesn't guarantee everything had been checked or repaired.

If you have a dial indicator with a magnetic base assembly, you can check the prop shaft for runout. If you turn the prop and can see any wobble at the end, it needs to be addressed. The shaft's maximum for runout is .005"

You don't want to run it too long with a bent shaft- that could be the cause of the transmission noises- the previous owner may not have repaired everything after hitting whatever it was.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:03 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1996 PS 190 LT-1/Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttu View Post

The "BLUEMAN" GROUP Now we are talkin

Lots if FUN to see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOL8-...eature=related

www.BAYAREAWATERSPORTS.com
(813) 996-BAWS (2297)
Old 08-23-2009, 01:06 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
The .003" is the tolerance for aligning the shaft coupler (my round thing with 4 bolts). Assuming the end of the shaft is straight, loosening the coupler bolts and sliding the shaft back should reveal only a maximum variation of .003" in the gap- it it's more, the motor and/or strut need alignment. The fact that you have a vibration means the prop and/or shaft is bent. The photo of the prop after you polished is shows a line across it and my first thought was that it had been repaired from hitting something but that doesn't guarantee everything had been checked or repaired.

If you have a dial indicator with a magnetic base assembly,IO don't own one b ut I'm more than hapy to borrow yours...hahah {+:> you can check the prop shaft for runout. If you turn the prop and can see any wobble at the end, it needs to be addressed. The shaft's maximum for runout is .005"

You don't want to run it too long with a bent shaft- that could be the cause of the transmission noises- the previous owner may not have repaired everything after hitting whatever it was.
I was wondering what all that .003 was. thanks for clearing it up. I'm still kinda lost but im going to research it and see if i can fix it. I don't want to run to fast unless everything is fixed and balanced. some on asked me if i wanted to buy a prop i forogt who it was...lol

I would like it to spin true, but it might have to wait till this season is over...
Old 08-23-2009, 01:18 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
It's probably worth checking the full alignment on your boat, rather than just checking the .003 alignment:
Full Propshaft Alignment
If the PO has bent something, you'll need to realign the engine to get the boat smooth again.

/frank