Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 08-18-2009, 01:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 X2, MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariStar-Man View Post
Is there a way to check if brakes are working or if there is air in em?
The quick check is unplug the flat 5 harness from your tow vehicle and back up. If you are not able to back the trailer up your trailer brakes are working. If you can move the trailer backwards, your trailer brakes are not engaging and its likely you have air in your brake lines. Need to bleed them.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 VRS
Power tool for Sanding -->Pic

My dad bought me this:

But I'm having trouble finding WEt SAnd Sand Paper that fits on it. Harbor Freight has the right sze bot they are not we t sand...

Heres the link to Harbor Freight
Old 08-18-2009, 06:41 AM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Hey! that looks like my medicine jar... Where did you get that....Lolol I been going to the Mc Store so much that I fogot I can still buyu stuff at the, "Other" Places...

By the way, TMC, is there anything you don't know or don't have...?

It's been a long 30+ year boating road, made a lot of mistakes, learned a lot and collected a lot.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:44 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I've purchased all my boats used and most were 3-4 years old. A lot of these trailers just sit out in the sun and are completely neglilected. The safe move is to take nothing for granted and go through the whole trailer. I would typically pull all the wheels off inspect the drums and re-pack the bearings on the old style brakes. I'd check the pads and change the oil in the newer style brakes.

The only way I know to check to see if air is in the lines is to bleed them. I've done this so many times that I bought a power bleeder years ago. With the power bleeder one person can do the job in about 1/2 hour. Without a power bleeder it's a two man job and a bit more challanging. If you do a search on bleeding brakes you should find several posts on this subject.

If you find yourself having to rebuild drums I would concur with others on this post and convert to disc if your budget allows. The difference is amazing and the maintainence is considerably less.

Last edited by bturner2; 08-18-2009 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:45 AM
MC Hero

Quote:
i see you have 2 latches on your Boat Eye. What type is it and where does it connect. Looks safe to me!

So, turbosdad, The Dealer told you to unhook it, and what just have the winch holding on to the front of the boat?? Does anyone else think that's ok?

Flatboard, i sprayed my pin and it didn't move. I sprayed and sprayed and it never moved once! hahah.. thx for info!

One is the winch strap, the other is a stainless plastic coated safety cable.
Attachment 50639

At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 06-17-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:48 AM
MC Hero

Quote:
I'm actually up north in the Bay Area. I love it in OC. My sister lives in fountian Valley.

Oh, so the blue thingy moves as you install grease? i have to buy some and a grease gun. I was at napa but didn't see any blue grease or marine grease. Can i use the the same grease for all the fittings, like the steering?

Hammer--->Thanks fro the props...
Having the piston extending slightly assures you the hub is full of grease and not sitting dead in the housing with no pressure to keep the hub pressurized to prevent water intrusion when the hot/warm hub hits the water during launch when the grease contracts from the cold water and otherwise could pull water in the hub.
Best wheel bearing grease I've ever seen/used. Found most anywhere including Ace Hardware and Walmart
Attachment 50640

Last edited by TMCNo1; 06-17-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:57 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
Quote:
You're right! I should have brought the prop to the sandpaper...
Its a whole lot easier to polish the prop while its spinning!
Old 08-18-2009, 07:22 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1993 Prostar 190 Blue Stars and Stripes, Powerslot
Nice clean ride and nice sized pics.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:36 AM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrove View Post
OK, I'm baffled... Exactly why does one polish their prop or rudder? Is there a performance issue at hand or is it purely aesthetics while sitting on the trailer?
I'm even more baffled, why would anyone not want to polish their underwater gear?

By any chance, do you have a $3000 set of wheels and tires on your car/truck that you never clean, wax, polish or apply protectant?

Last edited by TMCNo1; 08-18-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:43 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1979 Mastercraft, 1998 ProStar 205
Might try Fein tools, www.feinus.com, got a pretty good selection of stuff for these multi tools