Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 04-02-2014, 06:45 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 X10
Thanks for the picture of the depth finder transducer!
I have a 2004 X-10 that had the transducer loose from the hull when I bought it. I have tried several locations with mixed success at depth reading while under way. If I can break mine loose again, I'll try locating according to your picture.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 VRS
Wink "Is Maristar-Man still around...?"

Yes, I'm still here thanks for asking...

Update: On the Maristar 210, 330hp Everything has been running great! I've had such good luck with her that I'm almost hoping something would break...lol

This MC is built for the long haul. I'm very proud to own her...
Old 07-10-2014, 08:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
Hey...you are alive
Old 01-19-2015, 11:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 VRS
Question to teak or not to Teak

Working on the Teak Platform...

1. Cleaner

2. Brightener

3. Wetsand 150 grit

4. Now what should I do...?

I could just add the TEAK OIL but someone said I should consider varnish. what Say you?
Old 01-20-2015, 08:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Depends on what your goal is. From a traditional perspective I've started doing a slightly different approach the past couple years.

1.) Go to car wash and use pressure washer with soap to quickly knock off all the crud. Once the really bad spots are clear systematically and carefully go over every inch until the entire platform is clean.

2.) Switch to rinse and use the same system to carefully and thoroughly rise the entire platform.

3.) Depending on how bad the platform was and how good you were able to clean it you'll either go to directly sanding or will do a light cleaner/brightener cycle. The first year I did this I was a bit nervous with the power washer (which you should be). The last three years I've gotten used to the process and can pretty much tell how close to get and when it's completely clean. I'll typically start sanding with 120 then hit it with 180 and stop there as I'm not looking for a show finish but rather one that will have some traction to it.

My finish coat is always some kind of oil. The down side is that by mid summer I'm in need of a quick clean and oil on the platform as my boat sits on a lift exposed to the elements. That's like with teak.

Varnish is a beast of another color. Depending the finish you're looking for and what looks good to you varnish may be a good choice for you. Most would probably disagree on this site.

The problems with varnish that I see are.....

Typically it's applied too thick and looks out of place, like it belongs on the SS Minnow.
Most people use the high gloss which to me looks cheap and thus brings down the overall appearance of the boat.
When I see it on a ski boat I typically get the impression the owner doesn't know how to take care of teak or that they're lazy.
After a couple seasons it'll start to wear or chip and will really look crappy.
Refinishing varnish will be much more difficult to do correctly as it will need to be stripped. As such most people that go this route end up with really crappy looking platforms and wish they'd bought fiberglass.

So you can probably tell what camp I'm in. I like the look of teak on a ski boat and since I'm MCOCD really don't have a problem going through my new "green" and fairly easy process of keeping my teak looking good (not like a table top). If my boat were kept in the garage or even next to the house where I could keep the platform covered I'm sure this would be a once a season choir.

Good luck either direction you choose to go!
Old 04-23-2015, 02:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Matercraft Prostar205v
Glad to see you're still around! Is your prop still buffed out???