Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 09-26-2011, 12:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 VRS

I guess I should replace all 4 leaf springs, and use new bolts. I'm not sure how much the bolts get stressed. I need to search for Torque spec's for the springs.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:38 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Dang!! So you bottom leaf spring just "broke in half"??!!

1994 205, LT1
Old 09-26-2011, 02:11 PM
MC Devotee

Question

I believe it first broke in half, both pieces wiggled theirselves out, and then without the leaf thickness, the nuts worked themselves loose until the entire structure collapsed.

I am waiting for MC to call me back. I hope they still have access to the Exact-Fit springs.

I found some other folks selling similar springs, but my trailer is GVWR of 7480lbs, and most of the replacements at 3500 per side = 7000lbs...
Old 09-26-2011, 10:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Maristar VRS200 1998 LT1
This is not a common occurance, and I've owned many trailers over the years, abusing many of them (not the boat trailers!). I think what happened is that you, or a previous owner, hit a really big pothole, or curb, with the left side wheels. The springs got over compressed, and cracked the bottom leaves. A tandem axel trailer under a 210 isn't even close to capacity, so I can't see the springs ever breaking under normal use. At least parts are cheap, except for that fender!
Old 09-27-2011, 01:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 X2, MCX
Did you see this thread? Seems there was a recall on trailer springs.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ead.php?t=2890

Sent from my iPad 2 3G using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2011, 02:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190, 351 Indmar
A leaf spring snapped on my '89 a few years ago, right after the clip, so it crashed down with a thud. Thankfully i was going about 2 mph, right after going over some railroad tracks. Jacked it up and taped two 2X4's between it and the frame, and it made it ~15 miles home, even on the freeway (no other way to get across a river). Gotta love duct tape! Took it to a local spring shop, got 2 new springs for cheap, no problems since. The guy remarked that he had not seen a clean break like that on a leaf spring ever. Guess I got unlucky. Good thing you were also going slow. My bro-in-law had his fail on his '98 PS at 65mph, major trailer damage, all repaired by MC as it was only a few years old at the time.
Kevin
1989 ProStar 190 with "Safe T Top", 351 Ford, GT 40 heads painted Ford Blue, Elec. Ign, 1:1, 720 hours, 4 blade prop, PP 6.5, removable platform brackets, custom color from factory, hot water shower, Boat Buddy & LED lights on trailer
2010 D3 Z7, 2 @ 32 off, 34 mph so far

Last edited by Kevin 89MC; 09-27-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:03 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 89MC View Post
A leaf spring snapped on my '89 a few years ago, right after the clip, so it crashed down with a thud. Thankfully i was going about 2 mph, right after going over some railroad tracks. Jacked it up and taped two 2X4's between it and the frame, and it made it ~15 miles home, even on the freeway (no other way to get across a river). Gotta love duct tape! Took it to a local spring shop, got 2 new springs for cheap, no problems since. The guy remarked that he had not seen a clean break like that on a leaf spring ever. Guess I got unlucky. Good thing you were also going slow. My bro-in-law had his fail on his '98 PS at 65mph, major trailer damage, all repaired by MC as it was only a few years old at the time.
Kevin
Hey Kevin, I'm glad it happened it a safe location and you were able to get her home. It is amazing what duct tape can do! I carry it in the truck as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolz View Post
This is not a common occurance, and I've owned many trailers over the years, abusing many of them (not the boat trailers!). I think what happened is that you, or a previous owner, hit a really big pothole, or curb, with the left side wheels. The springs got over compressed, and cracked the bottom leaves. A tandem axel trailer under a 210 isn't even close to capacity, so I can't see the springs ever breaking under normal use. At least parts are cheap, except for that fender!
I'm not sure how it happened or when. The pothole theory is a valid one. I usually am under there looking around but I guess I got complaicent. I just thank the MasterCraft Mojo for breaking down in a Safe and level location...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kell View Post
Did you see this thread? Seems there was a recall on trailer springs.
Hey Kell, thanks for the Thread. It may have been repaired by the previous owner. I'm just happy MasterCraft still has parts for my Missy, and I don't mind paying for it...
Old 09-27-2011, 11:09 PM
MC Devotee

Arrow Are your spring hangers upside down?

I have been running around trying to do research on Impact wrenches that are stong enough to break free those Shackle Bolts. Apparently they are unique to closed eye springs and are made specifically for that purpose. I got all new Nylock Nuts, and bolts and hardware.

I also found out that my Spring shackle thingys have fliped over and have been riding incorrectly for, I-don't-know-how-long... Let me try to explain.

In the picture below, the eye of the springs are attached to 2 metal brackets that are about 2.5" x 3/4" and have 2 bolts in them. Apparently, the springs are supposed to rest ABOVE those brackets and thus above the Triangular 3 bolts thingy that is between the springs. So it should look like a "W" when installed properly.

I was told that this can happen if say for example the rear tire hangs off the end of a launch ramp and the front tire goes way up the brackets could reverse and cause really bad wear on the tires and the spring can hit the frame... I'm just soo glad I can correct the problem and this should stop my trailer from bottoming out so much.

Does anyone else know what I mean...

Old 09-28-2011, 01:51 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Maristar
This is where you can get the parts you need
http://www.caltrailerworks.com/online/home.php?cat=132

You can look at my trailer if you need to compare it to one that has not failed. I think you are in Martinez, I am in Lafayette. 2000 210vrs tandem.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '00 MariStar 230VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariStar-Man View Post
I have been running around trying to do research on Impact wrenches that are stong enough to break free those Shackle Bolts. Apparently they are unique to closed eye springs and are made specifically for that purpose. I got all new Nylock Nuts, and bolts and hardware.
I'd skip the impact - I find I can get a ton more leverage with a standard breaker bar than I can with my 650 lb-ft Ingersol Rand 1/2-inch impact.

FYI man, most shackle bolts have a knurled shoulder that presses into the bolt-head side of the shackle. When you remove 'em, turn the nut - not the bolt. Normally (if the shackles aren't completely worn) you can remove that whole shackle side as an assembly with both pivot and spring eye bolts still pressed in the shackle.

I did a web thing with a couple more pointers here: http://garagemonkey.net/garage-monke...d-gallery.html

By the way, my Maristar trailer had a busted bottom leaf when I bought it. Noticed it shortly after my first trip with it. I pulled an old trailer leaf from a camper (same thickness) and put it in the chop saw to match the length of the broken original. Been fine since, but a full spring replacement is definitely better.

My 230VRS trailer is a riot - I just realized that when a Mastercraft dealership up in N. Cal replaced the forward axle under warranty for a previous owner they used an axle with a different drop height than the other factory axle - so my equilizer pivot is always maxed out and puts the rear-most spring pack directly into the frame. Rather than replacing the axle I'm building raised spring perches for the axle the dealership replaced.