Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 08-21-2011, 04:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 VRS
Exclamation Trailer issue

I need a little help figuring out if I have a Trailer problem.

Symptoms:

1. Unusual moaning as i'm pulling out of the driveway.

2. Notice grease thrown around inside of trailer wheel.

Is it possible that the grease seal , if ther is one has broken on 2 wheels at the same time?

i have no idea what it is until i take it apart. Any idears?
Old 08-21-2011, 05:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariStar-Man View Post
Is it possible that the grease seal , if ther is one has broken on 2 wheels at the same time?
Definitely. They're likely all the same age/mileage. You should just replace all of the bearings, races and seals and repack at the same time. The bearings could be fine but if they're original you might as well change them while you have everything apart for the seal replacement. They're not very expensive. You'll either need a press or a soft, small headed hammer (i.e. brass) to install the new races (Beat the old ones out with whatever you want since you will be throwing them away. i.e. screwdriver). You could bring the hubs to a shop with a press and they'd probably do them all for $20 or so.

I haven't done bearings on my '00 but on my last hwy trip they were puking some grease so it's probably overdue but I'll save it for a winter project. I did my single axle SeaDoo trailer a couple of years ago and it wasn't a big deal. The races were the most trouble. I used the brass hammer method. If I had 4 hubs to do I'd probably bring them to a shop in the interest of time since each hub has 2 races. I got the bearings, races and seals at Academy for like $12 per hub. Not sure if they'd have the right size for the MC trailers but they do have 3 or so sizes. One pack contains everything you need to do one hub. I was a bit disappointed that they were made in China (BTW all I found locally were Chinese) but then when I pulled apart the 12 year old hubs they had chinese bearings in there that had no visible wear.

Also, all seals are not created equal. There are 2 styles that I've seen and 1 more style that I've heard of but couldn't find locally. There's the standard utility trailer style single lip. You don't want those for a marine application. Then there's the style with a stainless tensioning spring around a single wide lip. These are good for marine applications and this is the type that I found at Academy. There's supposedly a double lip style which is good for marine applications too but I haven't found these.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
i purchased a "cheap" 12 ton press from harbor freight and it has more than paid for itself. its not a precision instrument but pressing in races isn't that hard once you get them aligned. i think i paid $110 a year ago and i've probably done 8 hubs and a seadoo jet pump since then. its great not having to interrupt your project and run to a shop and its also nice not having to beat your brand new races with a brass drift.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:13 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff d View Post
Definitely. They're likely all the same age/mileage. You should just replace all of the bearings, races and seals and repack at the same time.
Wow that's nice to know you did your Sea-doo. It seems like a project I could handle. Thanks for letting me know about the various types of races and Academy, where you sourced them.

I guess, I'm wondering about the bearing buddies. It was ole' TMC#1 that told me to squeeze enough grease so that they stick out about 1/8th inch. If one squeezes the new grease in, I assume the old grease needs to come out somewhere. Would it come out from behind the wheel if the seal is damaged? If I remember correctly, The extra grease when heated used to come out from in front of the bearing buddy however, i do have the bearing buddy caps. Would they impeded the grease from exiting from the front therefore damaging the something in the rear of the seal and therefore, "Puking Grease" from the inside?

jafo9---> Yes, having it inhouse would be convenient. I know about Harbor Freight and we have one here locally. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:44 AM
MC Devotee

Thumbs up Brake Pad Part's and numbers for 1999 Trailer

Well, that Moaning sound wasn't the bearing's, but just wore out pads with built-up grease on the brakes. After I removed the right Rear Wheel, I saw that the pads not only had grease on them but were also wearing more on the inner side of the pad closer to the hub. The inside was about 1/8th inch thick, and the outer part was about 3/8th's of an inch more on the forward pad but the Smaller Rear Pad was wearing in a similar fashion but not as severe.

After talking with the Tech, He felt that it might have been the missing spring clips.

After going to NorCal MasterCraft, they hooked me up with:

Part number 653107. 2ea. Disc Brake Pad 99-01 $37.49 per Axle

Part number 653104. 8ea. Spring Clip UFP 99-0 $6.50 ea

Part number 653109. 4ea. Wire Clip 99-01 UFP CALIP $5.25 ea

I found out that the existing brakes did Not have the wire clips installed.

Did noticed that a few of the New pads were not sliding freely, so I filed the channel, where they made contat with Spring clips.

I put the tip of a sock into the Brake Fluid resevior opening to absorb the fluid when I was using my trusty 60 yr old C-Clamp, to squeeze each brake cylinder to receive the new pads.

Torqued all the lugs to 90lbs, and yes I used a bit of anti-sieze on the threads. Of course, I will re-torque after 20 and 50 miles or so.

Went around block a few times to break in new pads and viola! Removed the boat connector and put it in reverse. Missy didn't move at all. Plug her back in and reverse solenoid activated. She is now smooth as butter, and NO Moaning.

I pull out slow from my driveway, admiring her as I wave to the Land-Lubbers...
Old 09-01-2011, 04:48 PM
MC Devotee

I'm getting a litle Dizzy from all the movement...hehe

Old 09-11-2011, 01:15 PM
MC Devotee

Thumbs up More photos and responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinV View Post
Can anyone tell me where the fuel vent line from the tank exits the boat on a 1998 Maristar225 sport? Thanks in advance.
Did you ever find out where it exits your Maristar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutezero View Post
did you ever buy the RV? Still considering a new boat?
Hey absolute, I was thinking about an RV and still am up until I found out that the new BMW M5 will be available for 2012. I really like the F10 because of the DCT(Dual Clutch Technology) that BMW now has in their supercars. If I go with a classic E39 M5, I will have to shift using a clutch. Not sure I'm open for that... Are you familiar with or have done any research on the M5? The 2010 and later M3, with it's fourth gen I-Drive is the only system I would even consider. It might fit the bill as well, as long as I don't feel too enclosed, whereas the M5 would have more room.

Lastly, the new Boat. Since we are not on the water, I can't justify spending all that cash. Plus, we really love the lines and vision that MC had at that point in time. We are thinking about adding ballast and a gps based perfect pass. It will be a fun project, and like an older E39 M5, the Maristar will be stealth, with understated graphics, and classic sport luxury interior.

F10 M5

Alpine white E92 Coupe M3, with DCT, NAV ,HK Stereo, and Carbon Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by -V- View Post
um, is it a movie star neiborhhood? i can barley afford rent where i live and my house in San Antonio!!!
Hey -V- we Are always looking for a good deal. The house shown was one that was for sale near our vacation home near Lake Tulloch, CA. Unfortunately, it was overpriced by about 1.2

However, the lake is really cool since it allows building right on, or even over the water. There are many stunning and contemporary homes built there. We actually prefer older more classic homes that we can remodel.

Last edited by MariStar-Man; 09-11-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:38 PM
MC Devotee

Exclamation Don't let this happen to you... Broken leaf Spring (s) >>pix<<

I'm sure some here will find this amusing, and at a cost of being the subject of classroom banter, I will post my possible Circumvented Tragedy...

I was pulling a Mastercraft Trailer and that, I think, is the only thing i figure that saved my life! I feel Lucky that, Missy(the Name of my MasterCraft V-210) broke down at the top of our Cul-De-Sac in a nice a level area without much excitement. Had it been a leesser craft, it could have been tramatic.

She could have broke down, on the trip at 65 mph... Or going either up or down the Launch ramp, which we did On Saturday... Or, on the steep hill from our Cul-de-sac to our house... or any of the steep and winding one-way roads to the lake...

Old 09-26-2011, 01:43 PM
MC Devotee

There is a bolt and nut holding the leaf springs together. It appears that the leaf spring broke in the middle where they are weakest.

I guess they get weak after awhile and without me noticing, broke one after another, possibly on the trip out. she broke down at the top of our hill...

She protected us with her life and now I must return her to a better condition...

what the two good ones look like on the passenger side:

Broken:

Last edited by MariStar-Man; 09-26-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:46 PM
MC Devotee

i usually check the trailer when the boat is off, but after 2 years, i guess I got a little complacent...