Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 01-13-2015, 07:56 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2009 X30 MCX / 2003 X2 MCX
Seat Back Hardware

Going though my winter checklist and I'm having trouble locating the seat-back hardware (threaded rod, washer & nut) which holds the aft seat-back down. As you can see from my pics the starboard side is missing all the hardware & ports side is missing the nut and washer. I tried to remove the threaded rod to match the part at the hardware store, but it will not come out. The nut in the pic was found in my garage, but is a little sloppy on the threads. My dealer told me to talk ask MC and MC told me to work with my dealer. Now I turn to all of you TT members. Anyone have any experience on this? Thanks
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2015, 10:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1996 PS 190
On the older boats they used stainless steel T nuts

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  6.8 KB

Not sure if this is what they use now but it's a possible solution. The down side is you need to pull back the vinyl to replace them.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:52 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouyhead View Post
On the older boats they used stainless steel T nuts

Attachment 121628

Not sure if this is what they use now but it's a possible solution. The down side is you need to pull back the vinyl to replace them.
Thanks. I'll use this as a last resort option.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:18 PM
TT Regular

Boat: current-07 X2, past-02 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
On mine it was the threaded rod straight into the seat with a washer and a nut. The T-rod basically screwed as as far into the seat as it would go and then you tighten the nut. On the original there was an unthreaded portion to stop the nut.

If I'm reading this correctly you are missing the t rod piece and not the internal t nut that goes inside of the seat itself. Is that correct?

If that is correct you can match the piece at your local fastenal. They are called threaded studs. Then you would just need a new washer and locknut.

I may also have a few leftover in my garage from my teardown. Will check tonight.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...d%20Studs%22|~
Old 01-14-2015, 07:18 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ProstarSammyD View Post
On mine it was the threaded rod straight into the seat with a washer and a nut. The T-rod basically screwed as as far into the seat as it would go and then you tighten the nut. On the original there was an unthreaded portion to stop the nut.

If I'm reading this correctly you are missing the t rod piece and not the internal t nut that goes inside of the seat itself. Is that correct?

If that is correct you can match the piece at your local fastenal. They are called threaded studs. Then you would just need a new washer and locknut.

I may also have a few leftover in my garage from my teardown. Will check tonight.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...d%20Studs%22|~
You are reading this correct. It looks as if the fixed nut is still in the seat-back so all I need is the stud. Please let me know if you have any left over or if you know the correct thread size of the rod. I might just go by a bunch of different sized nuts to match it up if we can't ID this. Really appreciate your input.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:54 PM
TT Regular

Hey man sorry for the delay. Been a rough week in the office. I have a few leftover. They are short (about an inch long). Let me know if you want them and if so pm me your address.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:15 PM
MC Devotee

Now I'm curious, what kind of thread is mounted on the seat base and what holds it in place?
Old 01-15-2015, 08:37 PM
TT Regular

Its what you posted before. Its in the plastic backing of the seat and is countersunk from the other side. The only reason I had extras is either from the factory or after the fact someone had overtightened the original hardware and shattered the plastic backing within the seat. Ended up using a different hardware option. Nothing better than pulling off a skin and finding a million pieces of seat back.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:00 PM
MC Devotee

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2015, 11:47 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ProstarSammyD View Post
Hey man sorry for the delay. Been a rough week in the office. I have a few leftover. They are short (about an inch long). Let me know if you want them and if so pm me your address.

You're the man! PM sent. Thank you