Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 08-12-2009, 08:32 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
My GM truck needs more power!

Any GM gurus out there (Engine nut?) that can tell me how to add some horsepower easily to my 2000 Suburban 6.0 L? I tried a reprogrammer from Bully Dog, only made a slight difference so I returned it back to stock. I've got a K&N fresh air intake already.

Any good sucess with other reprogrammers? (hypertech, etc.) When I had an '01 Denali it had alot more guts than this suburban (Denali was rated @ 325 hp, suburban is 300 hp)

I don't want to get involved in engine work (cam, heads, etc.)

Any magic solution?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star
My experience has been that the programmers really only add significant power with diesels because with diesels they can tweak the turbo boost. With a gas engine, there is only so much that can be done electronically. I tend not to believe the HP gain claims that a lot of the aftermarket parts manufacturers make.

The easiest/best way IMHO to add serious power to a gas engine is with a supercharger, but this is not an easy "magic" solution, nor is it inexpensive.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 Centurion Enzo SV230
I own a 2007 gmc 5.3. I installed Jba headers and magnaflow cat back dual, and AEM intake with a superchips programmer. The tuner will add horse power because it will let your rpms go higher and thats a good thing with intake and good exhuast, which in turn will give your that extra hp you want. Ill post some pictures of my engine. I noticed a nice gain in mid to high rpm towing the old boat around.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 Centurion Enzo SV230
All of the things that are installed on my truck where installed by me in my driveway with simple tools. They where not that hard to do if you know a little about trucks or if you can read instrutions.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft prostar190 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubugme2 View Post
I own a 2007 gmc 5.3. I installed Jba headers and magnaflow cat back dual, and AEM intake with a superchips programmer. The tuner will add horse power because it will let your rpms go higher and thats a good thing with intake and good exhuast, which in turn will give your that extra hp you want. Ill post some pictures of my engine. I noticed a nice gain in mid to high rpm towing the old boat around.
thats is the same thing i done to a friends truck, makes some good power and the basics for more later. I also installed a bigger throttle body,then three months later came the new injectors paxton supercharger. 397hp at the rear wheel now
Old 08-12-2009, 10:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft 197 TT 2007
good HP gain would be the upgraded exhaust. and if you know someone in the muffler business have them knock out the cat.... (I didn't say that) and go bigger pipe from the cat back

2007 Prostar TT 197.....special delivery from the dealer 3/18/08 sold 6/7/11
Old 08-13-2009, 10:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
I have been doing some reading and the newer chevy's have "Torque Management" installed in the performance curve. Only two ways I know of to remove it... Predator programmer or HP tuners software. HP tuners is very much customizeable but from what I have read has a very steep learning curve. The predator seems to be the logical choice of all the options for the novice but you are getting a "Canned Tune" with limited adjustability...it is the only hanheld I know of that allows you to reduce torque management.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:42 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by njskier View Post
Any GM gurus out there (Engine nut?) that can tell me how to add some horsepower easily to my 2000 Suburban 6.0 L? I tried a reprogrammer from Bully Dog, only made a slight difference so I returned it back to stock. I've got a K&N fresh air intake already.

Any good sucess with other reprogrammers? (hypertech, etc.) When I had an '01 Denali it had alot more guts than this suburban (Denali was rated @ 325 hp, suburban is 300 hp)

I don't want to get involved in engine work (cam, heads, etc.)

Any magic solution?
Make it breathe faster and better.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:50 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by njskier View Post

Any magic solution?
Not magic but it's the solution

Old 08-13-2009, 10:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1989 Mastercraft Prostar 190
COZ that is a severe buzzkill for all of us who drive CHEVY !!!!! We can power up our Chevy's not to mention they ride better and don't have near as many squeaks on the interior.