Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2009, 03:52 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 02 X star
cleat install pics, 02 xstar

Some pics of my cleat install for an 02Xstar.

0. Taped the areas of cleat install with masking tape to help prevent glass fracture, and always used shop vac to catch dust while drilling any holes..

1. drilled from inside of boat to outside with 1/16" bit in area under glove box on port side of boat where the glass is reinforced for a cleat from mastercraft

2. Took a measurement from this hole on the outside of the boat to the front bolt on the air intake, about 26". Took another measurement down from the windshield, about 4". Made another 1/16" hole 2 7/16" behind the first one, also 4" down from windshield.

3. Ran the 15/16" spade bit a little in forward to get the centering part in a way, but stopped short of the widest part touching the glass, then ran in reverse until the widest part was through the gelcoat. This helps prevent grabbing and chipping the gelcoat.. After through a little bit, switched to forward and finished the holes.

4. Did the same thing on the drivers side, but first taped the wires out of the way so as not to get damaged by the drills. Also, began the drivers side by copying measurements from the port side and drilling the first hole from out to in. After i drilled the first hole, I verified from the inside that indeed i was in the 'meat' of the reinforced area.

5. To make the first hole at the stern, I removed the starboard hard tank for better access. Then drilled inside to outside with a 1/16" bit in the meat of the reinforced area.

6. Took measurements from the tower bolt to the tiny hole I made so I could copy this measurement on the port side.

7. Drilled another hole 2 7/16" behind the first

8. Enlarged the holes the same way with the spade bit.

9. Installed the cleats with supplied hardware. The star nut can be installed one of two ways. The best way is with the sharper edges contacting the nut in the direction that prevents reversing of the nut, and the softer rounded edges contact the hull. Sorry I don't have a pic.
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2009, 03:56 PM
TT Regular

more pics here
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2009, 03:59 PM
TT Regular

and more here
Attached Images

Tags