Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Old 08-10-2009, 05:00 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Barrel roll on an Air Chair?

Just wondering how much speed is normally need to pull of the barrel roll on an Air Chair.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:25 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
About 20 mph. From what I can see, the faster you go, the easier the trick is on you.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:28 AM

Ok, that's about what I'm at now, maybe a little faster.

I was working on my landings yesterday. I'm thinking next weekend I'll work on the roll.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2009, 09:02 AM

Sometimes you just know it wont end up good, no matter how hard you try.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2009, 05:00 PM
MC Addict

Looks like you got plenty of height on your jumps. Are you doing Inverts yet or just trying rolls? Watching videos, it looks like rolls are easier than inverts, but from what i hear, most people in the know say to do inverts FIRST.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:05 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Speed-Whatever you are comfortable jumping at. I like 22mph. Here is a lowflyer!
Attached Images

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 08-10-2009, 05:25 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
I've been trying some dismount gainers, I'm almost there!

Have not even tried a wake roll yet but can do W2W jumps which I think is a pre-requisite??

You may want to either try a dismount gainer (back-flip after letting go of handle) or an air-roll (backroll without using the wake) I'm no expert but they might be a good place to start.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:07 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by njskier View Post

Have not even tried a wake roll yet but can do W2W jumps which I think is a pre-requisite??

You may want to either try a dismount gainer (back-flip after letting go of handle) or an air-roll (backroll without using the wake) I'm no expert but they might be a good place to start.
I'm headed to the 2009 Ga. Mountain Fly-In this weekend, so maybe I'll be a rolling and a flipping when I return! I damn sure hope so anyway! Here's a link to it over on the foilforum.
http://www.foilforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1608
Old 08-12-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njskier View Post

I've owned the chair for a long time. I think I got it in 93 or 94 but stop riding it a long time ago. I started taking some friends out so the chair made the trip.

I've was able to land the dismount back flip before I stop riding it.

I've some of the biggest, cleanest air this last weekend so I'm kind of pup up about it. I'm sure there's a fall coming that will clean my clock and get me back on track.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:30 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
I had an Air Chair Stealth (improved over the 94-95 chair you mention). I found it to be a great device to learn on, but after about 1 1/2 seasons, I began to suspect its ability to "pop" enough for good inverts. BobbyB here on Team Talk had a Sky Ski B39 for sale so I bought that and sold the Stealth on ebay for about $100 less than I paid for it. I had absolutely no trouble transitioning and riding/flying the thing, and OMG! I still remember the shock the first time I went to jump it - it absolutely launched! An unbelievable difference. IMHO, the ski/foil makes all the difference.

If you're ready for wake rolls and gainers, I am very confident that the Air Chair is holding you back.

I agree, conventional wisdom on invert progression is that most people start with dismount gainers in the flats, then move to the wake rolls. I do recommend a helmet when you start trying inverts - the older Air Chairs are not quite as secure locking the feet in bindings, and if your feet come out, that foil has a great chance of flipping around and hitting you on the head. Additionally, as you learn to manage the rope on inverts, the potential exists for getting your arm caught in the rope handle, and the unfortunate result is often a biceps tear if you're lucky, and a brachial plexus injury if you're not. Handle guard - nice safety addition.
Attached Images