Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 06-03-2005, 07:28 AM
rocky

dash panel on 92 prostar

I need to replace the dash panel on my 92 prostar 205. the instruments are Ok, but the previous owner cut into the panel and it looks bad. I'm in a remote part of North Calif and don't have a local dealership. does anyone have suggestions?
Old 06-03-2005, 07:58 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky
I need to replace the dash panel on my 92 prostar 205. the instruments are Ok, but the previous owner cut into the panel and it looks bad. I'm in a remote part of North Calif and don't have a local dealership. does anyone have suggestions?
I'm thinking about doing the same thing on my '91 and I think our dashes are similar. Anyway, suggestions that I have heard are to have aluminum or lexan pieces cut to replace the black plastic panels, and as far as the actual vinyl covered dash piece, I think some people have had then rhino lined (bedliner) with great success. I don't think that you can order these pieces though from a dealer, atleast that is my understanding, I could be wrong
Old 06-03-2005, 09:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Maristar 240 1989 454 cu. in. 13/13 prop.
Hey All,

I've got a slightly different set-up, but maybe some of the panels are similar - seems BLACK lexan is hard to come by....so clear with maybe the "carbon fibre" vinyl or maybe just black vinyl applied is the way to go? Anyone have any "trick" methods for labels?

Here's a pic of my dash, EVERY panel is cracked, some worse than others, I'll prolly wait til fall to start....my wife is compaining about the carpet so that is priority, right?

Wes

while you're sleeping, things are breaking
'89 Maristar 240, 454, 1:1, 13:13 Acme
Old 06-03-2005, 10:02 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star 330 HP
Send a message via Yahoo to rem_pss308
Grainger.com has the black Lexan ( polycarbonite ) all sizes.

I re-did my Sitch panels out of clear lexan 1/8" thick, and covered them with Carbon fiber decal ( off e-bay ) it worked out good. I did my label with a brother label maker.

1999 X-star, 330 LTR, Zero FLex tower.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Maristar 240 1989 454 cu. in. 13/13 prop.
Hey rem pss308,

You da man! Thank you, I've been trying to track down the labelling deal for some time. I think the carbon is a winner!

Thanks again, Team Talk works!

Wes

while you're sleeping, things are breaking
'89 Maristar 240, 454, 1:1, 13:13 Acme
Old 06-05-2005, 12:55 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesgardner
Hey All,

I've got a slightly different set-up, but maybe some of the panels are similar - seems BLACK lexan is hard to come by....so clear with maybe the "carbon fibre" vinyl or maybe just black vinyl applied is the way to go? Anyone have any "trick" methods for labels?

Here's a pic of my dash, EVERY panel is cracked, some worse than others, I'll prolly wait til fall to start....my wife is compaining about the carpet so that is priority, right?

Wes
did the 92 prostar 205's come with indoor plumbing?
Old 06-05-2005, 01:42 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem_pss308
Grainger.com has the black Lexan ( polycarbonite ) all sizes.

I re-did my Sitch panels out of clear lexan 1/8" thick, and covered them with Carbon fiber decal ( off e-bay ) it worked out good. I did my label with a brother label maker.

Did you add push button ignition?
Old 06-05-2005, 08:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 190, 1994, 350 TBI 308hp.
The ignition is just a fuse. Have any of you tried car stereo stores for black plastic? They usually have several different sheets of black plastic, varying thickness and grain simulations to assist in putting in stereos if they have the need for filler panels.

We recently helped a buddy on his daughters 81 Correct craft. We used epoxy kit and some bondo for the dash repair, sand and paint - then used the plastic sheets to make all the stuff for the bottom switches and let me tell you, that little RotoZip tool is amazing!
Old 06-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Dan L.

Cool Dash Panel Refurb

This may help anyone trying to refurb their dashboard panels..
I replaced the cracked black plastic dash panels on my 1988 tristar that hold the rocker switches, ingition key switch, etc... The setup is almost identical to other posts here. First, I went to the local plastic supply house and got about a square foot of 1/8" gloss black plexiglass (might have been lexan) which had protective paper on both sides. Traced the old panels including holes on to the protective paper on one side. Cut the panels to size on a table router (or could have used a table saw with a fine blade). Drilled starting holes for all the cutouts and finished all the holes with a router taking it very slow so the thin sections of remaining plastic would not crack. Rounded the outside edges a little by lightly running across a bench mounted belt sander with fine grit belt. After that I called a few trophy shops and found one that would engrave the switch lettering on the new plastic panels. The deeper the engraving the better. After the letter engraving, I wiped on white acrylic craft store paint into the engraved letters and quickly wiped it off such that the paint only remained in the engraved lettering. The effect was fantastic -- and actually better than the original from the factory!
After that the original screws were replaced with more hi-tech black, half round hex type (similar to the steering wheel on my boat).
The other thing done was refurbish the rocker switches which were oxidized and a bit grey instead of black. The switches can be carefully pulled apart (even the clear light tubes in the middle of the rocker are removeable). The rocker pieces and surrounds were repainted with flat black spray paint. Looked like new and still does even after 4 years. Total cost was under $50.

Last edited by Dan L.; 06-24-2005 at 12:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-22-2005, 09:48 PM
kittykat

**** man...would you do my boat like that?