Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 12-22-2014, 08:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft X45 2008 LY6
diesel, gas, ecoboost, 1500?

I own a 2008 X45 and a 2011 1500 silverado crew cab 2 wheel drive. my concern is that this truck is not enough to haul the boat trailer gear and people. Need some advice on what you guys think. i try to load truck with 5-6 people so take as few vehicles as possible to the lake. coolers usually stocked and in boat, gear in the bed or in the boat. Is this enough truck to haul everything or am i asking for disaster? I started looking at diesels 250s and 2500s but are expensive, also thinking about a f150 eco boost, i hear great things about them. again it comes down to am i going to wear out the transmission and engine hauling with that? i live in Cincinnati and usually drive about 45min to closest lake a few times a week and on longer weekends i would like to start going to Norris lake a few hours away. Any advice or opinions are welcome. thanks
Old 12-22-2014, 09:03 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2005 x star
No way would I tow my star with a 1500! Especially 2 wheel drive. And a x45 is even bigger.. Your going to want a lot more truck in my opinion. Maybe moving your 45 around the yard would be ok with a half ton but I wouldn't tow any distance with it.

On the other hand Scott has a beautiful x45 and tows it with a beautiful denali all wheel drive half ton that's lowered and I think it does fine. But it's still a big step from your truck.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft X-45
I tow my X45 with a F150 Ecoboost with the max towing package (3.73 gears). The truck pulls the boat with ease and has no issues stopping that much weight. While I only tow a few hundred feet to the ramp, I have taken the boat on a few road trips and the truck has performed flawlessly. I was thoroughly impressed by the trucks ability to tow the boat.

There is also a ton of room inside the cabin with the Crewcab. People that are 6 feet plus have no problem with leg room sitting in the back.

I couldn't be happier with the Ecoboost and I am sure you could get a hell of a deal on 2014 now that the newly redesigned 15's are rolling in to dealerships.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:57 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
James - If it were me, I would look hard at the RAM 1500 ECO diesel.

I think the F150 Eco Boost is a fine vehicle, my biggest concern with a gasser is the longevity on a V6.

My 3.0 TDI pulls the 25 with no problems.

Or you could just let Heck Train pull it for you with his 2500 - Fo Days
Old 12-22-2014, 11:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Matt- I would have the Heck Train pull it but he told me he was buying your boat ha. for the prices of the 1500 eco diesel i could get a super duty 250 around same price stripped down to basics of what im looking for. 4x4 crew cab
Old 12-22-2014, 11:53 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2011 X25, 85 S&S
Buds xstar gets towed by my 2wd F150 5.0 (and I'm on 35in M/Ts) and his 4wd 5.0, it does just fine! Lol my next truck is either a 6.7 power stroke or an ecoboost, so I would choose from those. I drove an eco diesel and it had NO BALLS. But really anything is an upgrade from the 5.3 Silverado. It was actually frightening towing my 15 with my 07.5 silvy I had.

2011 X25-Wetsounds galore
1985 S&S
Old 12-22-2014, 12:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Quote:
Buds xstar gets towed by my 2wd F150 5.0 (and I'm on 35in M/Ts) and his 4wd 5.0, it does just fine! Lol my next truck is either a 6.7 power stroke or an ecoboost, so I would choose from those. I drove an eco diesel and it had NO BALLS. But really anything is an upgrade from the 5.3 Silverado. It was actually frightening towing my 15 with my 07.5 silvy I had.
Weird....We tow our boat with an 02 Silverado with the 5.3 and we think it does just fine. 3.73's and only 2wd.

Ive driven the eco-diesel and I think its awesome. Did you have eco-mode on maybe?

To the OP.

Look at the weights. Make sure you actually have your tongue weight set up properly. Take into account tongue weight and then the things you have in your bed. Make sure your tire pressures are set up right and get good tires intended for heavy weights. We have 10 plys on our 02 chevy 1500 because we tow 6500 lbs regularly. They make for a better ride when your loaded up. Less tire flex, and just safer overall.

As far as safety, your not gaining any going to the ford. Eco-boost is not safty, its just power. Doesn't help braking or turning. Trailer sway control is good, but so are load level bars, or weight distribution bars.

Wearing out your trans and engine.

Engine--> Change your oil with synthetic oil at regular intervals. Don't think twice. Not much you can do in this dept.

Trans--> How is your driving? Do you drive it like your unhitched? Many people drive like this, and this is the reason they think they need more truck. No, you need to slow down, your towing.
The trans will take a beating, and there is no denying the better trans in the bigger trucks will take abuse better. Want to make yours last? Ours have 220,000 miles on our bone stock 4l60e. ITs having problems now, but I Think its the TCC valve. The trick? My gf is the driver. She doesn't speed and is an excellent driver when it come to towing. No crazy throttle maneuvers, not accelerating like she's unhitched, uses the tow/haul mode every time she tows (she tows a lot with her horses, and they are her babies so she takes it easy). Also I change the trans fluid and filter at regular intervals aswell, with quality fluid. It also has the OEM trans cooler.
That is really the only way to make the trans last towing big loads.

Im surprised your having difficulty with your chevy. I wont talk you out of buying a new truck, unless its an f-150. IF you upgrade, go 250, or 2500 series otherwise its not worth it. Want to save your money and keep your truck for a long time? Do this.

1. Quality fluids changed at regular intervals. ONLY synthetic engine oil. Change your trans fluid and filter at 40,000 intervals if you tow often like us.

2. Quality tires. Don't get bigger tires a this reduces your effective axle ratio putting more strain on your trans. You want a tire meant for towing. 8-10 ply's.

3. Trans cooler if you don't have OEM tow package. Do some research though as some manufactures are claiming the internal radiator in the actual radiator for a tow package heat exchanger. Not good for towing. You need a heat exchanger on a separate circuit that can actually shed heat.

4. Load your truck up properly and set tire pressures accordingly. Take a day and really set it up since you are on the heavy side of things. Measure the tongue weight and if your trailer inst level, get a hitch that will let you level it. Also get load leveling bars. These are amazing and help out a ton. I found out about these through a guy at work who does our trailer testing. They are simple devices that work off moments to distribute the weight on your truck properly. Google it.

5. Brakes. Oh the great debate. Your brake system is fine, but not optimized. First, trailer brakes. Set those up and set up your brake box properly. Next, the truck brakes. People will throw the terms "fade, too hot, warping, ect". Learn brake maintenance. You need to service brakes when your towing. Clean and relube the sliders with a quality synthetic grease. Do the same with the pins. You want your pads to be applied evenly to the rotor here. When it comes to replacing your rotors get good rotors. Now the magic....Pads. In racing, we use stock size brake systems due to rules, but pads are where the magic happens. On our truck we use EBC pads. They have different grades (ok they do colors). Get the appropriate range for your truck. You'll be amazed how well they work on hard stops.
Very few rotors truly "warp". Maybe cheap **** rotors warp, or if you've gone past min thickness. What most people feel is uneven pads transfer. There is a procedure to bedding in brakes you should do every so often. And when you overheat your pads and come to a stop, you are now causing uneven pads transfer which will feel "warped".

Knowledge bit: Did you know the brakes work best when you have transferred a thin even layer of brake pad material onto your rotors? This increases the bit friction and increase the brake life. IT actually makes a big difference if you do it right, and doing it right means getting your brakes so hot that smoke plumes out of your wheel wells and smells really pad.

6. Drive safely. Accelerate at a reasonable rate and brake early. This will make things last like the trans.

Now if your just going to sleep better at night towing with a big rig, then go get the big rig. Please don't "upgrade" to the eco-boost though. Your really not upgrading much at all, unless accelerating is the most important thing to trailers for you

Last edited by Roman; 12-22-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Roman, I am not having any issues with my truck yet. The issue is I worry that down the road it will and since it is not my truck, it belongs to my father and I would rather not have to tell him I over worked his truck and now it needs major work. We are very strict about the fluids brakes and tires. It does seem to run hot after running the hills to the lake but that is expected. I am leaning away from the 150 ecoboost even though ford tried to push it hard. I found a nice 2015 f250 diesel with what i would like, nothing fancy and right now running what i think is a good deal at just under 40k$ but i am way away from actually purchasing, dont need it till the spring anyway and who knows what could happen in that time. Whats everyones opnion on a 250/2500 gas vs diesel?
Old 12-22-2014, 03:13 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2011 X25, 85 S&S
I'm curious as to how the ecoboost isn't safe when it's towing capacity is 11k pounds when equipped with max tow?

I think the question was which truck, not a lesson on how to maintain your vehicle. The 5.3 with the 4 speed can't get out of its own way. Couldn't even maintain the speed limit going up hills towing my x15 that was probably 6k wet on the trailer.

2011 X25-Wetsounds galore
1985 S&S
Old 12-22-2014, 03:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 MasterCraft XStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
I'm curious to how the ecoboost isn't safe when it's towing capacity is 11k pounds when equipped with max tow?

I think the question was which truck, not a lesson on how to maintain your vehicle. The 5.3 with the 4 speed can't get out of its own way. Couldn't even maintain the speed limit going up hills towing my x15 that was probably 6k wet on the trailer.
Aric,
Was your silverado always lifted?

And I agree that every 4wd Tahoe and suburban I've driven with the 5.3 and 4sp feels gutless empty.

Adding 4wd eats a lot of power.