Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 02-16-2015, 11:05 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Soon to be x45
Truck tuning

Hey guys, not sure if anyone on here is interested, but EFI tuning is now available for 2010-2015 cummins trucks.

I also having tuning available for all cummins trucks 01 and up
All fords diesel, from the 7.3 to the new 6.7.
Ford eco boost tuning with tunes adding an additional 75 hp.
Also have EFI tuning available for Duramax diesel.

For all above vehicles, I have full exhaust systems to let the trucks breath.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:37 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2005 x star
Glad to see someone else on the forum with efi.. Who do you use for a tuner or do you do it your self? I mostly do duramax but dabble a little in dodges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2015, 09:47 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
what type of tune are you using? installed programmer (like MiniMax), flash (like EFI Live), chip?

I had a full 4" exhaust with deletes done with an "EFI Live" tune (+90 hp with fuel economy) but I am not overly satisfied with it on my empty mileage. The first build was fabulous getting 23-23.4 mpg on highway with great response but smoked like a coal burning freight train, so bad I had them do a rebuild to reduce smoke. Doesn't seem to have same power but the smoke is reduced considerably but on a good day I get 18.2-18.4 mpg, more frequently 17-17.3 mpg. Towing beats the heck out of stock as I was getting only 10-10.5 mpg stock, now 14-14.3 with similar load.

This was loaded via laptop (I think) and the tune is held by the shop that did the work. If I ever go in to a dealer/repair shop, I have to stick a note on the dash to not flash the computer or the tune will be lost. I have thought about getting whatever it's called to where I have a device that can have 3 tunes loaded that I can switch out based on what my needs are and store in the glove box.

'09 Dodge Cummins 4x4 Quad cab long bed running 285-70r17 tires (one size over stock).
Old 02-17-2015, 11:19 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 X-30 MCX
Pmkkdx
I have an 08 6.7L Mega Cab with full deletes and 5" TBE. I have a mini maxx tuner that you can shift on the fly and program almost anything in the truck with. It has 4 levels from stock to performance and adds up to 175hp. But I hear H and S is effectively shut down not making them any more and no support. Friend of mine found one for his truck and paid about double what I did for it. I think efi is one of the only ones left doing delete programming. I love my mini maxx and would have even picked up a spare for down the road but they are going for over $2K for just the chip now. Doesn't efi make a tuner for on the fly shifting also? Or is it just a programmer?

Old 02-17-2015, 11:36 AM
MC Maniac

Truck tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmkkdx View Post
what type of tune are you using? installed programmer (like MiniMax), flash (like EFI Live), chip?

I had a full 4" exhaust with deletes done with an "EFI Live" tune (+90 hp with fuel economy) but I am not overly satisfied with it on my empty mileage. The first build was fabulous getting 23-23.4 mpg on highway with great response but smoked like a coal burning freight train, so bad I had them do a rebuild to reduce smoke. Doesn't seem to have same power but the smoke is reduced considerably but on a good day I get 18.2-18.4 mpg, more frequently 17-17.3 mpg. Towing beats the heck out of stock as I was getting only 10-10.5 mpg stock, now 14-14.3 with similar load.

This was loaded via laptop (I think) and the tune is held by the shop that did the work. If I ever go in to a dealer/repair shop, I have to stick a note on the dash to not flash the computer or the tune will be lost. I have thought about getting whatever it's called to where I have a device that can have 3 tunes loaded that I can switch out based on what my needs are and store in the glove box.

'09 Dodge Cummins 4x4 Quad cab long bed running 285-70r17 tires (one size over stock).

He probably sells both, your efi live can be more customizable to you. When you said you went to a smokey tune that got great mileage to a clean tune with worse mileage you probably went from a larger horsepower tune to a lower power level. The higher power levels do get better mileage, however they smoke more usually. Honestly your mileage numbers seem pretty good to me! I don't think I've had a 6.7 getting 20+ mpg with the tuning we use. Average is around 18 for the guys I've worked on.

I think your talking about an auto cal, it allows multiple tunes and kinda works like a box tuner in the sense you can change the tune easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drballenbc View Post
Pmkkdx
I have an 08 6.7L Mega Cab with full deletes and 5" TBE. I have a mini maxx tuner that you can shift on the fly and program almost anything in the truck with. It has 4 levels from stock to performance and adds up to 175hp. But I hear H and S is effectively shut down not making them any more and no support. Friend of mine found one for his truck and paid about double what I did for it. I think efi is one of the only ones left doing delete programming. I love my mini maxx and would have even picked up a spare for down the road but they are going for over $2K for just the chip now. Doesn't efi make a tuner for on the fly shifting also? Or is it just a programmer?

Efi does make switchable programming. Duramax is dsp5 or dsp2 and cummins is csP5 however if I'm thinking right duramax dsp tuning is only available for 01-10 and cummins is 06-07. I know the duramax is 01-10 but not 100% on the cummins side.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
supposedly both EFI Live tunes were +90 hp, as I didn't want to go any higher without building up (or tearing up if not built up) the transmission (auto).

My son has an '11 Cummins and he has one of the older MiniMaxx tuners from when you could still do the deletes and correct all the dash light issues. He had heard they were going to remove the delete functionality, so he bought one before that went into effect for $800. that was a little over 2 years ago. I was going that route too but the one with that capability were all gone from dealers and could find scalpers but over $2k, no thanks.

yes, the autocal is what I was thinking of, but you can only load one tune at a time, then have to remove and reload another, not on the fly switching going down the road.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:21 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2011 X25, 85 S&S
my buddy has a minnimax that is delete capable for like 1400 bucks i think. Just bought a raptor so he doesnt need it.

2011 X25-lots of flake,stereo and ilmor
1985 Stars and Stripes-Ol' glory
Old 02-17-2015, 03:35 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmkkdx View Post
supposedly both EFI Live tunes were +90 hp, as I didn't want to go any higher without building up (or tearing up if not built up) the transmission (auto).

My son has an '11 Cummins and he has one of the older MiniMaxx tuners from when you could still do the deletes and correct all the dash light issues. He had heard they were going to remove the delete functionality, so he bought one before that went into effect for $800. that was a little over 2 years ago. I was going that route too but the one with that capability were all gone from dealers and could find scalpers but over $2k, no thanks.

yes, the autocal is what I was thinking of, but you can only load one tune at a time, then have to remove and reload another, not on the fly switching going down the road.

I don't think efi offers shift on the fly for cummins other than 06-07. But I'm not 100% sure.

Who did your tuning? (Not bashing just asking)

Old 02-17-2015, 04:11 PM
MC Devotee

I am not sure of the name of the tuner but it was installed by Core Diesel in Leander Texas. They did all the deletes and exhaust installation. But they have (or had?) someone writing the tunes for them.

http://www.coredieseltx.com/CoreDieselBeta.xhtml
Old 02-17-2015, 05:40 PM
MC Maniac

They might actually do their own tuning. Honestly I would be happy with the mileage you have.

If you noticed a power loss when they re tuned then that's where you lost mileage. If you don't tow heavy you can get away with a bigger tune. If you row heavy I'd leave it how you are.

Do you have a cold air intake? I've seen some pretty good mileage increases with em.. Sometimes you don't see any but usually you do.